• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are you happy where you live?

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
Question for you fellas and ladies.

Im trying to convince my wife to build another house on the far side of our property, away from the neighbors. I cannot stand having neighbors but we have them on 3 sides of our farm unfortunately. We bought this place 5 years ago and its almost completely paid for but damn I despise having people constantly in my business.

Myself: Not really, but I can live with it for the moment.

Your question: If you can build a second home, then go at it.

Reactions: 338dude
Closest neighbor for me is about 300' and across the road. And is my uncle. And is still too close lol. I like my uncle and spend quite a bit of time over there but I liked it better before he cleared it out and put a house there.

After that you go down the road another 800' or so to my parents place. About ¼ mile from my drive is a couple more family members. Fortunate in that it's all family on my end of the road. I'm about 25mi from the nearest large population center and I'm just fine with that.

I would go insane if I had to live in a subdivision.
20220823_153915.jpg
20220823_153922.jpg
Screenshot_20211105-061434_Photos.jpg

The back yard. I love where I live. My only complaint is I can only shoot 250 yards from the porch.

Im trying to convince my wife to build another house on the far side of our property, away from the neighbors. I cannot stand having neighbors but we have them on 3 sides of our farm unfortunately. We bought this place 5 years ago and its almost completely paid for but damn I despise having people constantly in my business.
Fuck no. I live in western warshington. Sad, the libs have turned my beautiful state into a shithole.

Not particularly. I would like to go back out west where the population density is a lot lower. I'm outside of town, but there is a university there, so this time of year there are WAY too many fucking people.

I have a few neighbors that are kinda close, but I don't know them, and that's just the way I like it. They leave me alone, and I do likewise.

Closest neighbor for me is about 300' and across the road. And is my uncle. And is still too close lol. I like my uncle and spend quite a bit of time over there but I liked it better before he cleared it out and put a house there.

After that you go down the road another 800' or so to my parents place. About ¼ mile from my drive is a couple more family members. Fortunate in that it's all family on my end of the road. I'm about 25mi from the nearest large population center and I'm just fine with that.

View attachment 7987440View attachment 7987441View attachment 7987442
The back yard. I love where I live. My only complaint is I can only shoot 250 yards from the porch.
Optional take: unless you hate your family you are a lucky man. You have people nearby that you can call on in time of trouble, and the reality is that your uncle and your parents may need you as they get older; it's just the way that goes. You could be surrounded by California transplants that dont like you, your morals or politics and want YOU to get out. It happens. That being said, I do understand the need to be alone and left alone. I suspect most here are in that camp.

The only thing keeping me here in SC is just a little bit of family. Too many transplants coming here and they will eventually turn this state blue. It's 55/45 red right now and creeping more blue every election. Once family dies off, eastern TN is where I'm headed.

I love ohio. I have tons of matches within 6 hour drive and a excellent club les than 2 hours away. However i live in a neighborhood full of entitled middle management assholes and Karen's. Been thinking of moving about 40 min east to the country but im going to wait until housing price are normal again. Id give a nut to be able to shoot 600y at home.

Optional take: unless you hate your family you are a lucky man. You have people nearby that you can call on in time of trouble, and the reality is that your uncle and your parents may need you as they get older; it's just the way that goes. You could be surrounded by California transplants that dont like you, your morals or politics and want YOU to get out. It happens. That being said, I do understand the need to be alone and left alone. I suspect most here are in that camp.
Yeah it's been family out there my whole life. You get the occasional family spat now and then but it happens. Currently it's my cousin with some pet pigs he let's run loose. Had 9 and I think he's down to 2 now so that problem is sorting itself out lol. It is hunting season after all and everybody that sees a tender piggy sees sausage haha.

Honestly I wouldn't change a thing. Did I mention it's a dead end road ? One way in, one way out. All family on my end of the street so if you see someone you don't know there's two possibilities. They're either lost or up to no good.

We all take care of one another out there and the few other neighbors that are scattered around out there are pretty good folks. There's always one or two you keep an eye on but for the most part it's quiet when the sun goes down.

I had been but it is changing rapidly. We are in South Louisiana and crime is going up quickly. Currently staying due to great neighborhood with grandkids near by. If Airforce pilot son in law settles somewhere nice in a few years we will definitely consider a move. Grandkids close are a big deal for the wife and she needs to stay relatively happy…

Northern Arizona

I miss Northern California but I can't afford to go back

Love my home and property as well as the neighborhood and neighbors. 780 sq.' home paid for and refreshed with all new HVAC, Roof, Siding, Windows, Water Heater, Plumbing, 10 years ago. Building a new garage next year and I hope to die in this home. Love it here if not the politics of the state or the politics of the US.

The only Way I'm leaving this place is if they scrap SS and Medicare in which case I'll sell it (it's worth like 3X what I paid for it) and move to another country. My first home and I still love living here as long as I can stay fed and have medical care as I age.

VooDoo

Reactions: jrassy and 338dude
I like where I'm at, but the population growth, and all the idiots who "discovered" the area I live is ruining the tranquility. The only thing I can prey for is Farmers Almanac is right in their Winter predictions, and it forces all the Zombies to move back to the big city, and hopefully never come back.

Just today a truckload of hunters from out of State sitting in the middle of the road, and blocking other cars, and a little further down the road, another group on the side of the road glassing the side of a hill that's private property, I don't get it, you cant hunt there, so why glass it?

love where I live.

It's all the morons who also live here I can't stand
Pretty much describes my situation. Been inundated with transplants hard since Covid, and property has gone through the roof. I keep telling myself...one day.

Reactions: 338dude
like where I'm at, but the population growth, and all the idiots who "discovered" the area I live is ruining the tranquility. The only thing I can prey for is Farmers Almanac is right in their Winter predictions, and it forces all the Zombies to move back to the big city, and hopefully never come back.

Just today a truckload of hunters from out of State sitting in the middle of the road, and blocking other cars, and a little further down the road, another group on the side of the road glassing the side of a hill that's private property, I don't get it, you cant hunt there, so why glass it?
I feel like you live where I live...

Yeah.

It's in town, but that's because it's a 5 minute walk to school for the kids, 5 blocks to a grocery store, 2 blocks to the city park with pool and ice hockey rink....

Town is 6000 people, over 100 miles to find a Walmart. We're the biggest thing around so there's a few hardware stores, lumberyards, gas stations, ranch supply, etc.

It does suck that our range is only 650 yards, but it's less than 10 minutes from my house. Nice thing is we can do 1 day leases from the state and stretch targets to about 1400 for matches. About 4 sections of state school trust ground surround the range.

There's indoor archery and rimfire ranges at the Civic center, that's 3 blocks away. Just walk in and screw around when it's nasty outside.

Only bad thing is the drive for long range steel. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get to a buddies ranch where we have plates out to 2500.

no, not really

I don't think I have found a perfect place to live yet, if there is such a thing
I have moved a few times in the last 5-6 years, have learned a few things for my next move

I like living more where there isn't snow every winter (warmer over all)
I hate having neighbors. I want to be where I can't see/hear/or smell others
There is ZERO benefit to paying high property taxes or being in higher tax areas, I literally get NOTHING more for my stolen money. Confirmed by living in a low tax area.
I don't want to live near anyone with leftist ideas and thoughts (aka, the mentally ill)
I can't fucking stand bumper to bumper stop and go traffic anymore in my life, had enough I am done
concealed carry allowed without paperwork from the king is a huge plus

I am sure I am missing a few from that list, but the next move will be much more on target

I've said for years, "If I can see my neighbor's lights on a cool, clear night, they're too damned close".

One day, it'll come true.

Then this would really piss you off:
20220627_224557.jpg

Any given night you can hunt rabbits in 75% of my yard, with iron sights....without a weapon mounted light.

There is a rule.
If I buy a piece of land in the middle of nowhere, ill have at least 3 new neighbors that move in before the ink can dry.
And one of them will be a retarded asshole that should be in jail.

View attachment 7987535

Any given night you can hunt rabbits in 75% of my yard, with iron sights....without a weapon mounted light.

There is a rule.
If I buy a piece of land in the middle of nowhere, ill have at least 3 new neighbors that move in before the ink can dry.
Funny. Not funny :rolleyes: :(

Reactions: Average guy
I was set on my next place being Wyoming. Unfortunately, I kept coming up empty handed, as everything available either was full of sage brush, had no water (hauling water is no fun), had an HOA, or if it didn't fit in the above catagory, it was a huge ranch, and well put out of my price range. And that was all before COVID hit. Now those places in Wyoming I was looking have virtually zero inventory. I was lucky, found my dream property in Colorado (Yes, I'm behind enemy lines, but I can see Wyoming on the horizon). It fit my main criteria of having water (good well), bordering public land, no HOA, and at an altitude I don't need air conditioning.

But it's the damn people that are ruining it. Maybe I should have been search for a place in Alaska?

• Angry
Reactions: Bender
We have almost 100 acres and only 20 of it is "settled". The rest is dense forest, unfortunately I have anti hunters on 3 sides....what kind of dumbass anti hunter moves to the mountains of WV???? Idiocy. Anyway my house is the highest point in the area so everytime I go out to hunt or shoot, these morons will call and complain to the cops who repeatedly tell them its none of their business. I got into a shouting match with the old man a couple weeks ago. I was sitting in my deer stand about 40 yards away from the property line and he pulls his tractor over and just sits there staring at me for 45 minutes. I may have lost my temper a smidge.

Surprisingly happy, despite despising my state’s liberal politics. I have a few wooded acres, a shooting range on the property, creek access for the kids to play/swim/fish in the summer, and a fire pit to burn on cool fall nights. I can successfully bow hunt 100 yards from my back door and my kids are being raised in a nice rural area with good neighbors and a great school district. Family close by to help out with the kids when my work schedule gets crazy, but far enough they’re not up my ass (most of the time).

One day I want to move out West for some more solitude, but it’s not in the cards right now. Retirement goals. We would like a bigger house now but can’t afford it without significantly downgrading the property acreage and quality, so my kids get to grow up a little cramped but well loved. When my wife complains, I remind her there’s worse fates.

Reactions: lariat
We have almost 100 acres and only 20 of it is "settled". The rest is dense forest, unfortunately I have anti hunters on 3 sides....what kind of dumbass anti hunter moves to the mountains of WV???? Idiocy. Anyway my house is the highest point in the area so everytime I go out to hunt or shoot, these morons will call and complain to the cops who repeatedly tell them its none of their business. I got into a shouting match with the old man a couple weeks ago. I was sitting in my deer stand about 40 yards away from the property line and he pulls his tractor over and just sits there staring at me for 45 minutes. I may have lost my temper a smidge.

Get some extended video and provide it to the local game warden. He can work his property if he wants to, but just running equipment to intentionally scare off deer near you hunting the property line should qualify as hunter harassment IMO. Biggest benefit is if he’s a transplant and anti-hunter, odds are he doesn’t know it’s a crime and will probably hang himself when GW questions him.

Not really. Too many CA refugees now, but never really loved it so will likely move back to WY or maybe somewhere in the Black Hills of SD.

View attachment 7987440View attachment 7987441View attachment 7987442
That is awesome. Nice place.

We have twenty acres. Neighbors on each side have twenty acres. We all have shooting ranges in our back yards. I can leave my doors unlocked and my ATV outside with the keys in it. The vehicles also. No one here, including myself, dares to trespass without the neighbors permission. If I hear a noise outside it's an animal and not a human. The neighbors call me when they are hunting and ask me to not target practice until the season is over. Pretty much where I want to be right now.

I wonder, is this an age or experience thing? The older I get the less I want to engage with people. I honestly have had enough experiences with people here and abroad that I keep my circle small, and it keeps getting smaller. Zero time for drama or stupidity. Maybe some of you old farts could give some wisdom.

I wonder, is this an age or experience thing? The older I get the less I want to engage with people. I honestly have had enough experiences with people here and abroad that I keep my circle small, and it keeps getting smaller. Zero time for drama or stupidity. Maybe some of you old farts could give some wisdom.
A good dog and a warm woodstove is just about all you need.

Nope. It's frickin' miserable here...

Far enough south to fry you in summer and just far enough north to make working outside miserable in the winter... Fucking wind doesn't stop blowing (unless it's summer). There's mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers... Cottonmouths, rattlers, and copperheads... No trophy deer. And the roads are a joke.

Schools are ranked really low... but it doesn't matter because we can't read well enough to understand the rankings anyway.

Everyone is fat, ugly, rude, and drunk/on drugs. And everything is outrageously priced and taxed. And the police beat people daily.

And the whole state smells like someone put out a refinery fire with raw sewage.

I'd like to leave but I'm too destitute to move elsewhere.

Mike

I like my house and property, but the town is terrible. Unless you work in the medical field, education, or Air Force, there is nothing. Shreveport is dying a long, slow, protracted death. Amazon is wrapping up a huge distribution center, and will provide many jobs, but it's Amazon and it's not enough. Oh, yeah, it's #25 in the country for murders, per capita.

That might be it, could be an age thing, I am 50 something

Also, the quality of people have gone steadily downhill in my lifetime. I know there have always been shitbag people around me, it seems that 1 of 2 things or both are true

1. people just suck more in 2022 than ever before (and I mean people in public at large, not friends I know)
2. large numbers of people have always sucked, they just don't try to hide it anymore

In person social skills are lost on younger "internet generations" I tend to get along better with people older than me. Usually they are nicer and have some social skills and desire to interact in a positive way (respectful in general)

and they don't say 'bruh' every 3rd word

Reactions: 308pirate
Charlotte sucks. Was a great place to live 30 years ago. Now it’s just another big city with a total Dem leadership (or lack of) package. It’s now run just like every other loser big city. We used to live in the country, but got taken into the city about 15 years ago. We have a small farm on my wife’s family land, and she is so attached to the heritage and stuff. Most of the family has gotten smart and moved, but I feel stuck. Have friends in NE Tenn, and it is so nice there. I would move tomorrow.

View attachment 7987535

There is a rule.

Is that your neighbours rigging up big ass spotlights?