• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are You Using The Same Hearing Protection For Both Handgun And Rifle Shooting?

green338 2.0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2012
NorCal
I am wondering what hearing protection you use for both handgun and/or rifle shooting?

Currently using the Peltor TacSport earmuffs. Wondering if there's something "better," for shooting multiple firearm platforms (ie handgun, AR, bolt action) ?

I focus purely on hearing protection, so I use plugs + muffs for rifle and just muffs for handgun. With the rifle, the report is right next to your face, so I've found more protection is necessary. I like Pro Ears Gold for handgun. Most people do not use those, but they provide great protection. They are a bit bulky for rifle, but they still work. I think most don't use them here because of their size, but like I said, I focus on protecting my hearing and these are about the best out there for that.

Peltor electronic muffs for both. If I'm spotting for someone with a brake, I'll sometimes put a plug in on the side closest to the brake.

I shoot everything using the Surefire ear plugs as I don't like the bulk and sweaty ear syndrome of muffs. They work well for me all the way up to .50 cal and 81mm. I get my hearing checked every couple years and I am not going deaf. Bear in mind my profession puts me around gunfire a lot.

I run those same muffs and really like them. If shooting a lot of rifle or near someone with a very loud rifle I'll add some of the Surefire plugs underneath.

I use MSA Supreme Pro X muffs and foam plugs for all shooting but 22LR. I wear the muffs any time I'm running power tools (leaf/snow blowers, weedeaters, chain saws), and of course when Im on the tractor.

^---same here. They take a little getting use to as far as putting them in your ears correctly. So if you use them often, it will become second nature. I don't, so it takes a couple tries before I get it down again.

I find the surefire plugs adequate for non-braked rifles, but inadequate for most centerfire pistols and braked rifles.

For pistols, I think the hot setup is a pair of electronic muffs, plus a set of earplugs. With 26db earplugs and ~20db muffs, you get ~28db reduction when there are shots fired, but yet, you can hear casual conversation.

I don't like addressing a rifle with muffs though, so I use multi-flanged silicone rubber ear plugs for braked rifles.

I don't like foam plugs, because I've found that if you get them wet, they don't squish down long enough to get them in my ears......and it always seems to rain when I'm shooting a match.

I have used the Peltor TacSport earmuffs for a couple years now for both outdoor rifle and handgun shooting with great success. But, I practiced shooting at an indoor pistol range the other day and I felt I needed more protection. You guys gave me a great idea; earplugs together with earmuffs. So, I just bought several earplugs to try out with my Peltor TacSport earmuffs to see if they'll be suffice/comfortable. It will either be the earplugs or a different range. The sound in an enclosed range just helps bounce the sound waves everywhere. Anyway, here's what I purchased:

1. Peltor Indoor-Outdoor Range E-A-R Ear Plugs (NRR 22 dB) 1 Pair
2. Peltor Blasts Disposable E-A-R Ear Plugs (NRR 32dB) 3 Pair

I use the Howard impacts for pistol and the silicone plugs for rifle. The amplified sound is nice in the muffs but they hurt my ears after more than an hour. Also, the muffs interfere with my cheek weld on my rifle stock.

I had a pair of custom ear plugs made about 3 years ago. That's all i use anymore.

I like the Howard Leight electronics for pistol shooting indoors, a molded set without any baffles for rifle.

Nice!

Tough sell on me, personally. Way too likely to lose them, and it's tough to swallow that kind of price when a set of rubber or foam plugs cost just a few cents.

+1

Even after strong dividends lately, I don't think I would ever pay $1k plus for ear plugs...they look sweet though and I wouldn't mind testing them out ;)

No, suppressor+ear muffs for my rifles; ear muffs only for handguns. Not getting handgun suppressors, too bulky for my practice needs.

Plugs and muffs for my magnum guns and ARs. Just plugs for my semi-auto pistols. However if someone is at the pistol range with a 44Mag, I'll have both on.

Yep, i am. i have a pair of surefire in ear plugs, and i cover those with some electronic earmuffs. i have a lot of hearing loss from not protecting my ears when i was younger, so i work hard to protect what i have left now.

-Paulus

If I'm shooting indoors I usually wear both plugs and Howard Leight's. If outdoor usually just plugs for rifle and muffs for handgun.

Indoors I wear earplugs + MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X's (which I bought off of Triad!) and when I'm shooting outdoors I only use the muffs, though I might start wearing plugs + muffs outdoors as well. Once you lose your hearing its gone for good, so I believe ear pro is a definite worthy investment.

Has anyone found something similar to the ESPs that don't cost your first born?

I've read of people going to a hearing doc for customs done, but never have heard what they're paying...

Sordin pro x for both. I have noticed needing a little more around mag chamberings with muzzle brakes. The jelly ear inserts could help this.

I just recently had a set of custom made ear plugs, the kind that are molded in place and take the decibel level to below 29db's, and think they work fantastic.

I've tried everything..custom molded plugs, Surefire plugs, electronic muffs. With lots of hearing loss already I'm worried about losing more. I ended up going with the yellow foam earplugs and Dillon standard earmuffs; with this combo I seem to be okay with everything I'm exposed to.

I use 3m foam plugs and pro ears earmuffs. I also have some electric earmuffs I'd like to try this summer w/ the foam plugs.

Am getting a custom set of plugs made by my daughter, (Audiologist). Will see if I like them. I don't like carrying muffs due to bulkiness. Would like to find a set of plugs that have NRR of 26 or greater and can hook up to my radios for coyote hunting with VOX cababilities.

It really depends, I have many available combinations in my range bag. Radians JeelyPlugs work great, as do the same manufacturer´s moldable plugs. I also have SensGard ZEMs and top of the line MePaBlu muffs. Muffs are best for attenuation, more so if you add plugs. Annoying in the summer when you´re sweating under them all day, though, then I tend to use them only when on the line and revert to the plugs when only walking around.

I have had Peltors, MSA, and foam plugs but by for the best are the custom in ear from hear-pro. They are similar to ESP but not as expensive. If you need to communicate for matches,range commands, hunting etc the quality of the Hear-Pro product is the way to go, if not maybe the "foamies" are ok. The audio on the lowest setting is FAR superior to the MSA and peltors on their highest setting.

At the end of the day we have to ask our selves what our hearing is worth. We spend thousand of dollars on guns and hundreds a year to feed them but complain about the price of quality hearing protection.

Contact Brad @ www.Hear-Pro.com to see the different options he offers and tell him Jim sent you.

Howard Leight & Peltors for me. I also use the Howard Leight Max orange earplugs. Those plugs fit my ears great. Plus it helps that I get them for free from work.

I had a set of custom molded plugs made last year and love them for most things but did notice last week at an indoor range that I wouldn't mind adding some muffs on top. Had a guy next to us shooting a ported 44mag that was loud!!!

Caldwell E-max or silicone plugs when shooting handguns, and just the plugs when shooting rifles. One awesome advantage to using the plugs is that they do a great job cleaning the wax from inside the ears. This is especially important after repeatedly hearing from doctors that not even Q-tips are supposed to go into the ear. The vision and memory seem to be going, but the hearing seems ok for now. :)

Last edited:
I had a set of custom molded plugs made last year and love them for most things but did notice last week at an indoor range that I wouldn't mind adding some muffs on top. Had a guy next to us shooting a ported 44mag that was loud!!!

Had mine squeezed into my ears last night. Should have them back by next Wednesday. Have to wait to try them out. Too much snow to go shooting right now. Only thing that really sucks is when it is really quiet the ringing in my ears about drives me nuts.

I have been using howard leight impact sports for the last 4 yrs or so. They are electronic and are very comfortable. I use them when shooting both pistol and rifle.

I've used just about everything mentioned in the thread so far but primarly use my Peltor ComTac IIs when I need to wear a helmet and or run comms. Not long ago I was introduced to Nitro Ears Elite http://www.nitroear.com/products.php and swear by them for everything from shotgun,handgun,carbine and rifle. They are custom made electronic in ear protection that work like Peltors.

I was skeptical at first but after wearing them for 8 hrs straight two days in a row without having my ear canals feeling like they'd been raped by a howler monkey when I took them out, I was sold. They also stayed in place during extreme physical activity, in fact, I forgot that I even had them in until the end of the day. I will conceed thay these are not for everyone as they are on the top shelf as far as ear pro goes. However, Nitro Ear also makes custom molded ear plugs as well as electronic ear muffs for a lower price. I look at guys who have no problem justifing spend thousands of dollars on a scope or a rifle but then go cheap on the one thing they can't buy back once it's gone, hearing and eyesight. Good ear and eye pro is a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on other items associated with shooting but I see more people skimping in this area then elsewhere.
image.jpg

Picked up a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X's from Triad a few months back (the gel cups are a worthwhile upgrade!) They are like almost nothing...I almost forget I have them on. When shooting rifle indoors I use earplugs underneath them. For pistols or just being outside, I just stick to the MSA's and have no complaints.
I sort of had to gripe a bit about the cost of that earpro system...I wanted to use that money for other gun goodies. However, when you factor in the criticality of your precious hearing, and the irreversibility of damage to said hearing...I'm glad I made a sound investment.

I use electonic muffs for pistol, and plugs for rifle. The muffs I have seem to get in the way of my cheekweld when shooting rifle for some reason.. NOTE: my rifles are not braked..

Yep. Cheap dispoable plugs and a set of regualr muffs when things get really loud. But I generally hate ear muffs and don't use them.