• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 cz457 bartlein barrels

Bradu

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
IL
Sorry if this has been covered but I didn't see much information on them. Is anyone shooting one of their barrels? I'm curious to hear how they are shooting and if anyone knows what kind of chamber these have.

I was looking at the Area 419 "457" barrels myself.. I read in a thread somewhere here (someone was testing one) Area 419 barrels use a certain style chamber reamer that likes elay ammo.. I forget the name of the chamber reamer though.. I do know if you buy from Bartlein directly, they are a little cheaper than from Area 419.. $425ish compared to $550

Reactions: Bradu
These are a Bentz chamber with 44-45k freebore. Like all 22lr barrels, there are some ammos they like more than others, but that is variable from brand to brand, barrel to barrel, lot to lot. Also, a huge amount of 22lr accuracy (if you're talking BR-style) is bore management and dealing with the lubes.

We've had a LOT of them really like some pretty inexpensive ammos like CCI Standard or the less expensive SK lines. They also typically like the nicer Center-X type stuff, but at the price of the Center-X they better like them. Federal Gold Medal has also been good stuff.

These are a Bentz chamber with 44-45k freebore. Like all 22lr barrels, there are some ammos they like more than others, but that is variable from brand to brand, barrel to barrel, lot to lot. Also, a huge amount of 22lr accuracy (if you're talking BR-style) is bore management and dealing with the lubes.

We've had a LOT of them really like some pretty inexpensive ammos like CCI Standard or the less expensive SK lines. They also typically like the nicer Center-X type stuff, but at the price of the Center-X they better like them. Federal Gold Medal has also been good stuff.
Thanks for the info !!! Happy Thanksgiving !!

The Bentz chamber that Bartlein is using for their drop-in bbls is a slightly looser design, typically used on bbls for custom bbls for semi-autos like the 10-22. It's still a good chamber, better than most factory designs, but not as precise at most of the match chamber designs for bolt rifles. I wondered why Bartlein would choose to use a Bentz reamer - thought perhaps it would tend to be more tolerant of a wider range of ammo, and maybe not give any problems when trying to extract a loaded round? Whatever - I ordered a 457 VPT from a wholesale distributor a couple of days ago, and called Bartlein shortly afterwards to see what they might have in stock. They still had three of their 457 drop-in bbls left from the last run they made, but when I found that they use the Bentz reamer, and that their bbls are .900" dia, I ordered a bbl blank that's the same .862" dia as the CZ factory varmint contour instead. I'll chamber it myself with an EPS match reamer, just as I've done with a couple of Shilen blanks on my other two 457s. Since Bartlein's drop-in bbls are designed to use the factory grub screws to hold them in place in the action, and since I'm gluing my bbls into the actions, I don't need those cuts made. I've not had issues extracting loaded rounds from V-22 or 457 actions with bbls chambered with my EPS reamer, so I'll just go this route for a little more control over the chamber & headspace, and save a little $$ by doing that work myself.

Thank you for the information. Most likely I will be buying one soon.

The Bentz chamber that Bartlein is using for their drop-in bbls is a slightly looser design, typically used on bbls for custom bbls for semi-autos like the 10-22. It's still a good chamber, better than most factory designs, but not as precise at most of the match chamber designs for bolt rifles. I wondered why Bartlein would choose to use a Bentz reamer - thought perhaps it would tend to be more tolerant of a wider range of ammo, and maybe not give any problems when trying to extract a loaded round? Whatever - I ordered a 457 VPT from a wholesale distributor a couple of days ago, and called Bartlein shortly afterwards to see what they might have in stock. They still had three of their 457 drop-in bbls left from the last run they made, but when I found that they use the Bentz reamer, and that their bbls are .900" dia, I ordered a bbl blank that's the same .862" dia as the CZ factory varmint contour instead. I'll chamber it myself with an EPS match reamer, just as I've done with a couple of Shilen blanks on my other two 457s. Since Bartlein's drop-in bbls are designed to use the factory grub screws to hold them in place in the action, and since I'm gluing my bbls into the actions, I don't need those cuts made. I've not had issues extracting loaded rounds from V-22 or 457 actions with bbls chambered with my EPS reamer, so I'll just go this route for a little more control over the chamber & headspace, and save a little $$ by doing that work myself.

I think for the people in the Drop-In 457 game the Bentz makes the most sense. There's a margin for error when it comes to PRS-style shooting that comes from dirty chambers and imperfect feeds that I appreciate. A super tight chamber at a 41-42k headspace may shoot great, but as soon as you get junk in the chamber or the ammo gets a little gritty, you're going to have a bad time. Different tools, different applications. I still want to build a Walther/Smallbore style rig, that would be the perfect spot for a zero-tolerance chamber.

flyer1a - I can't argue with your logic on the use of the Bentz chamber for the drop-in bbls. And I've yet to hear or read anything but positive comments on 419's Bartlein drop-in bbls.

However, I've used the EPS reamer on several of my rifles - Benchmark, Krieger & Lilja bbls on 40X & XB repeaters, Kriegers on a Stiller 2500XR & two V-22s, and Shilens on a couple of 457s - and have yet to have any sort of issue with reliability that could be associated with the tighter match chamber. I've run all but the 457s in matches on a pretty sandy range down in central Kansas since finishing the Stiller rifle early in 2016, but have never shot a 22RF match in really windy/dusty conditions. I own three V-22s, so probably won't use the CZ457 VPT in a PRS-style match - but I do like to try to max-out the accuracy potential of all my 22RF rifles, so for me, I feel that doing the chambering for the VPT's Bartlein myself is the way to go. It'd be interesting to get with someone who's shooting one of the drop-in Bartleins on a 457 and compare results on paper targets after I've finished the Bartlein for my VPT - but since I've got a few months to shoot some good lots of SK & Lapua ammo through the 24" CZ bbl before the Bartlein gets here, we'll see how it does first. Had a message on the machine when I got home after gorging myself on good Thanksgiving chow - FedEx will be delivering the 457 VPT tomorrow, Friday. Winds with gusts to 75mph are forecast for Saturday, so I will probably have to hold off on shooting it until later next week...

flyer1a - I can't argue with your logic on the use of the Bentz chamber for the drop-in bbls. And I've yet to hear or read anything but positive comments on 419's Bartlein drop-in bbls.

However, I've used the EPS reamer on several of my rifles - Benchmark, Krieger & Lilja bbls on 40X & XB repeaters, Kriegers on a Stiller 2500XR & two V-22s, and Shilens on a couple of 457s - and have yet to have any sort of issue with reliability that could be associated with the tighter match chamber. I've run all but the 457s in matches on a pretty sandy range down in central Kansas since finishing the Stiller rifle early in 2016, but have never shot a 22RF match in really windy/dusty conditions. I own three V-22s, so probably won't use the CZ457 VPT in a PRS-style match - but I do like to try to max-out the accuracy potential of all my 22RF rifles, so for me, I feel that doing the chambering for the VPT's Bartlein myself is the way to go. It'd be interesting to get with someone who's shooting one of the drop-in Bartleins on a 457 and compare results on paper targets after I've finished the Bartlein for my VPT - but since I've got a few months to shoot some good lots of SK & Lapua ammo through the 24" CZ bbl before the Bartlein gets here, we'll see how it does first. Had a message on the machine when I got home after gorging myself on good Thanksgiving chow - FedEx will be delivering the 457 VPT tomorrow, Friday. Winds with gusts to 75mph are forecast for Saturday, so I will probably have to hold off on shooting it until later next week...

Have you had any experience with a Win52d reamer? The place I ordered my barrel had their Eley EPS reamer break and it'd be a month before they got a new one in, so I just went with one of their cut Win52d reamer barrels. So far my barrel does NOT like any of the Eley ammo, including Tenex. But it absolutely loves the SK/Lapua stuff. It does require more effort to chamber a round due to the tight chamber and early rifling.

The only bbl I've got with the 52D chamber is on my 52D rifle. Kiff's chamber print book shows the 52D reamer being .020" shorter at .580" than their EPS reamer at .600". I've not shot a lot of Eley Match or EPS through my 52D because I've never shot it in serious competition, and it seems to like SK Rifle Match about as well as anything else I've shot in it. I have tested several lots of Eley Match last spring in my V-22/Krieger with the EPS chamber, and some of it shot pretty good groups at 200yds. But it didn't feed as reliably as SK or Lapua RN ammo, and at $14/box w/shipping, it wasn't worth it to me. SK Flatnose Basic feeds 100% reliably in all three of the V-22s and in my jelrod-converted 40XB repeater, but not EPS.

I guess if you're not happy with the 52D chamber on your new bbl, you could let your shop know about it, and ask them to run their new EPS reamer into your chamber when they get the new reamer.

Sorry if this has been covered but I didn't see much information on them. Is anyone shooting one of their barrels? I'm curious to hear how they are shooting and if anyone knows what kind of chamber these have.
I purchased a Bartlein drop in from area419. Looks great and shoots better! I went with the spiral fluting. Awesome.

I purchased a Bartlein drop in from area419. Looks great and shoots better! I went with the spiral fluting. Awesome.
I'll be ordering my 20" Bartein barrel from Area 419 next week.. Either will be Black or Bead Blasted.. having a hard time deciding what would look best with my Gunmetal MPA chassis..

Reactions: flyer1a

I apologize for resurrecting a somewhat old thread. I just received an Area 419 Bartlein Barrel and am trying to fit it into my 457 action. It is extremely tight, tight enough that I couldn't seat it into the receiver with a rubber mallet. Is it supposed to be this tight?

I apologize for resurrecting a somewhat old thread. I just received an Area 419 Bartlein Barrel and am trying to fit it into my 457 action. It is extremely tight, tight enough that I couldn't seat it into the receiver with a rubber mallet. Is it supposed to be this tight?

Freeze the barrel, heat the action. Then it'll fit great when it warms/cools.

Reactions: nakoa01
I have a Bartlein 419 barrel on a 457, it took some patience, but got it in. Have not had any time to work on groups since I installed it.

I have a Bartlein 419 barrel on a 457, it took some patience, but got it in. Have not had any time to work on groups since I installed it.
This is exactly what I have. When you say patience...what did you end up doing? I am thinking it's hard enough to just get it in there, but then I'd have to line it up correctly to the bolt face once in. I dunno, I am going to give it another shot today.

There is about a .012" difference in size between it and the CZ barrel at the extension/neck. Definitely not a quick change setup after this.

This is exactly what I have. When you say patience...what did you end up doing? I am thinking it's hard enough to just get it in there, but then I'd have to line it up correctly to the bolt face once in. I dunno, I am going to give it another shot today.

There is about a .012" difference in size between it and the CZ barrel at the extension/neck. Definitely not a quick change setup after this.

It just needed a bit more force and it took me a bit to realize that. I may try and get out today, let you know how it shoots.

Jeff

I got it installed, put the barrel in the freezer, torched the receiver, and it slipped right on. Then seized in place instantly after the temps kind of merged together. But I got it squared up. I doubt the barrel screws actually do much at this point, but that's ok. It looks nice, hopefully it shoots as good as it looks.

I got it installed, put the barrel in the freezer, torched the receiver, and it slipped right on. Then seized in place instantly after the temps kind of merged together. But I got it squared up. I doubt the barrel screws actually do much at this point, but that's ok. It looks nice, hopefully it shoots as good as it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 115
Mine also tight fit I like it. I GOT MINE DIRECT FROM BARTLEIN ITSELF CUSTOM CONTOUR AND LENGTH. sorry if I jump off the topic.just share the brother barrel of yours.

Attachments

• 20200215_153652.jpg
    20200215_153652.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 75