• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 full length sizing die shell extraction issue

Desert Rat

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2017
Hello y’all …… I purchased the area 419 full length resizing die in six Dasher and I’m having a hell of a time after I push the ram up to resize the shell, and upon extraction it getting stuck up and using force to the point where I’m literally moving my bench trying to get the shell out. I am using imperial sizing die wax, and I have also cleaned out the inside of the die using rubbing alcohol. I called Area 419 and they told me that I need to resize the shell multiple times with multiple firings for that problem to stop. This seems a little strange to me when I’m seeing people in YouTube videos having no problems extracting shells at all. Any help would be appreciated.

IMO it sounds like the die is too small for the chamber that you are firing the rounds through. The die needs to match the chamber to some degree.

There is of course going to be a list of questions. Brass brand, number of times fired, annealed, etc.

Some dies need to "break in" to smooth out. Did you try lubing the inside of the die after you cleaned it?

Reactions: Desert Rat
IMO it sounds like the die is too small for the chamber that you are firing the rounds through. The die needs to match the chamber to some degree.

There is of course going to be a list of questions. Brass brand, number of times fired, annealed, etc.

Some dies need to "break in" to smooth out. Did you try lubing the inside of the die after you cleaned it?
I’m using alpha brass, which is who they worked with originally when they designed the thing. I would say the brass has been fired three times resized at least twice with this sizing die. I anneal after Resizing. And I have not tried to leave the inside of the die… out of curiosity what lube would you suggest? Thank you very much.

I also just tried to anneal before resizing, and still same problem.

Anneal before sizing this will give you the most consistent sizing of each case. Use your Imperial Sizing wax to lube the die interior. Don't over lube it, just take a q-tip and rub it down inside with a thin coat.

Its a cheats method, but can work. Only size the brass half way, extract, rotate brass about 1/3 if a turn, size almost full length, so about 3/4 the way in, extract and rotate another 1/3 of a turn, then full size.

If this is happening on all brass from that chamber, measure a sized bit of brass, then fire it, and measure sizes again. Die may be too tight for your chamber as @AllenOne1 pointed out.

Edit.. and as @straightshooter1 said.

Instead of having us guess why don’t you just give us the answer?

What are your actual case measurements, shoulder datum set back and the neck, shoulder and body diameters? Both fired and sized.

Well, I figured out what my problem is. Thanks for all your help! With past dies I have not needed to lubricate the inside of my necks. With this die, that is definitely not the case. I also cleaned out the inside of the die with rubbing alcohol. It still is a little sticky but it’s 80% better. Thank you so very much for all your help everyone.

Well, I figured out what my problem is. Thanks for all your help! With past dies I have not needed to lubricate the inside of my necks. With this die, that is definitely not the case. I also cleaned out the inside of the die with rubbing alcohol. It still is a little sticky but it’s 80% better. Thank you so very much for all your help everyone.
Lanolin/Alch is the best lube i have used to date. Its also the easiest to use and has the least effect on sizing, and the least amount of clean up.

Clean your brass before you size but not crazy. You want some carbon in the necks, which will help to lower the friction for the mandrel.

With Lanolin/Alch spray, it will get in the necks as well. My case to case sizing variation is less than .001 doing this, and I haven't gotten a stuck case since going to this method. Tried 1 shot, dry graphite, imperial wax and every case lube sold in stores. Nothing touches Lanolin IMO.