• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Area 419 Maverick

TheMammoth

Overton goes Right
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Interesting indeed...

Reactions: rydah
    Ribbed for pleasure?

Isn't this the same concept as a Silencer Harvester/Omega suppressor? A can with a brake at the end?

Haven't watched the video yet as I'm at work, but functionally I don't see how it's different. And I despise the ribs on the OD of the can, looks hideous.

Ribbed for pleasure?

Isn't this the same concept as a Silencer Harvester/Omega suppressor? A can with a brake at the end?

Haven't watched the video yet as I'm at work, but functionally I don't see how it's different. And I despise the ribs on the OD of the can, looks hideous.

need to watch the video. not entirely the same concept

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    need to watch the video. not entirely the same concept

I'm at work and surrounded by people, did watch parts of the youtube clip but was hard to hear everything they were saying. I may have missed it, but I did not see/hear suppression numbers in the "brake" configuration.

So it's essentially a brake (and nearly as effective) with some reduction in noise and concussion? 95% brake, 40% suppressor?

Interesting concept, think I would still take a suppressor over it. I see how this may appeal to some people though.

What would be interesting is for someone to design is a reflex suppressor with a brake on the end. The reflex portion should be designed such that it would fit on 1.250" straight barrels, with a stiff rubber gasket to seal on barrels from say a medium or heavy palma up to the straight contour, so you don't have to contour the barrel for the suppressor. Get a bit more suppression with the benefits on a brake.

And I agree with @blbennett1288, looks like a dildo. Should've called it the dildozer 2000 or something like that, seems more fitting.

Anything that gets more people on the line to my left and right suppressed is a good thing in my book.

That being said, it's too "middle of the road" for me. The Comp configuration with the brake is likely WAY louder than an Ultra 7. The recoil reduction is less important to me than sound reduction (understand I'm in the minority on that for typical match shooters). I didn't see dB reduction numbers, but I think they said the Comp configuration is "similar to an unbraked, bare muzzle". That would put it at ~160dB, where an Ultra7 is ~135dB.

I'm also not a huge fan of the non-welded, non-user-serviceable construction, and possibility of alignment issues. Not saying there will be any alignment issues, but now you've got: muzzle threads --> 419 muzzle adapter --> Maverick Core --> Muzzle break or Stage 2 Module.

In the end, my preference for sound suppression and light weight will keep me with the Ultra7 for comps. But I applaud them for looking at solving this problem and hopefully getting more people on board with suppressors at matches. It seems like when people talk about it and are honest, many do admit to having headaches, ringing ears, and feeling "beat up" after a 2 day match. My long term hearing is more important to me than getting pushed an extra mil off target during recoil impulse.

A lot of guys I talk to or interact with online say they won't shoot suppressed because of the increased recoil, along with the added length. Yet when I (or anyone else with a suppressor) shoot better than them at a match, they don't look at their own skill/fundamentals as the weak link. Maybe this will sway some shooters, but you've still got the $1300 and year long wait to deal with.

Anything that gets more people on the line to my left and right suppressed is a good thing in my book.

That being said, it's too "middle of the road" for me. The Comp configuration with the brake is likely WAY louder than an Ultra 7. The recoil reduction is less important to me than sound reduction (understand I'm in the minority on that for typical match shooters). I didn't see dB reduction numbers, but I think they said the Comp configuration is "similar to an unbraked, bare muzzle". That would put it at ~160dB, where an Ultra7 is ~135dB.

I'm also not a huge fan of the non-welded, non-user-serviceable construction, and possibility of alignment issues. Not saying there will be any alignment issues, but now you've got: muzzle threads --> 419 muzzle adapter --> Maverick Core --> Muzzle break or Stage 2 Module.

In the end, my preference for sound suppression and light weight will keep me with the Ultra7 for comps. But I applaud them for looking at solving this problem and hopefully getting more people on board with suppressors at matches. It seems like when people talk about it and are honest, many do admit to having headaches, ringing ears, and feeling "beat up" after a 2 day match. My long term hearing is more important to me than getting pushed an extra mil off target during recoil impulse.

A lot of guys I talk to or interact with online say they won't shoot suppressed because of the increased recoil, along with the added length. Yet when I (or anyone else with a suppressor) shoot better than them at a match, they don't look at their own skill/fundamentals as the weak link. Maybe this will sway some shooters, but you've still got the $1300 and year long wait to deal with.

I agree, it's essentially a really long muzzle brake.

I would take the big decrease in noise and concussion of a suppressor with minimal recoil penalty over the minimal noise/concussion reduction of a really long brake.

But to each their own.

I agree, it's essentially a really long muzzle brake.

I would take the big decrease in noise and concussion of a suppressor with minimal recoil penalty over the minimal noise/concussion reduction of a really long brake.

But to each their own.
    AND heavy. In the video they comment that everything in PRS is trending heavy, which is true. But 15oz on the muzzle is different than a 15oz weight inside the chassis forend in terms of overall balance. I do like that they made the brake and the Stage 2 suppressor the same weight; the 419 guys have a great attention to detail like that.

I was thinking the same thing on being a really long brake. They need to show dB reduction numbers in addition to the recoil numbers they showed in the graph. If the hybrid setup only reduces 5 dB, then what's the point? The whole intent of their Hellfire system is to allow an easy swap from a dedicated brake to a suppressor with one mounting interface. If the Maverick hybrid setup doesn't reduce noise to even a moderate level, then might as well stick with their standard setup. The concussion reduction of the hybrid setup would be nice though, I find even with double ear pro the guys on my side with brakes still affect my sinuses with the blast.

The concussion reduction of the hybrid setup would be nice though, I find even with double ear pro the guys on my side with brakes still affect my sinuses with the blast.

My understanding (especially based on the video) is that this is the entire point of the hybrid system - killing the concussion without sacrificing performance from a brake. If you want to be suppressed, then remove the outer brake and screw on the second module and now you have a more traditional can performance.

AND heavy. In the video they comment that everything in PRS is trending heavy, which is true. But 15oz on the muzzle is different than a 15oz weight inside the chassis forend in terms of overall balance. I do like that they made the brake and the Stage 2 suppressor the same weight; the 419 guys have a great attention to detail like that.

I was thinking the same thing on being a really long brake. They need to show dB reduction numbers in addition to the recoil numbers they showed in the graph. If the hybrid setup only reduces 5 dB, then what's the point? The whole intent of their Hellfire system is to allow an easy swap from a dedicated brake to a suppressor with one mounting interface. If the Maverick hybrid setup doesn't reduce noise to even a moderate level, then might as well stick with their standard setup. The concussion reduction of the hybrid setup would be nice though, I find even with double ear pro the guys on my side with brakes still affect my sinuses with the blast.

An effective brake works by releasing gases rapidly in a direction perpendicularly or opposing the bore. An effective suppressor works by slowly releasing the gases from the bore, rather then a sudden release. They are diametrically opposed to each other in design and function.

The functions of an effective brake and suppressor are mutually exclusive from each other. There's going to be some big trade-offs if you try to incorporate both. In this case, the trade-off is on the noise/concussion, with focus on still having an effective brake. A Silencerco Harvester/Omega with the brake at the end performs well as a suppressor but not very well as a brake. The more effective you want it to be for recoil reduction, the less effective it will be at mitigating noise and concussion, and vice-versa.

The more I think about it, the more I would rather run a brake and a suppressor independently from each other and use whichever is best suited to the task.

It's a neat product and I appreciate the ingenuity, but it's too niche for me.

Reactions: Darqusoull13
    The more I think about it, the more I would rather run a brake and a suppressor independently from each other and use whichever is best suited to the task.

It's a neat product and I appreciate the ingenuity, but it's too niche for me.

This still fits that, though, since it fits to either a Hellfire or Sidewinder adapter.

Brake only.
    Can/Brake combo (Stage 1 + Maverick brake)
    Stage 1+2 for full suppressed

But now you have that middle ground option that you don't get from a traditional can or brake setup.

Reactions: mike_srt4
    This still fits that, though, since it fits to either a Hellfire or Sidewinder adapter.

Brake only.
    Can/Brake combo (Stage 1 + Maverick brake)
    Stage 1+2 for full suppressed

But now you have that middle ground option that you don't get from a traditional can or brake setup.

Fair enough, I just don't ever foresee myself wanting the "middle ground option".

Curious to see how popular these get and how well the "middle ground option" works. I believe the middle ground option will be more of a brake then a suppressor in function.

Fair enough, I just don't ever foresee myself wanting the "middle ground option".

Curious to see how popular these get and how well the "middle ground option" works. I believe the middle ground option will be more of a brake then a suppressor in function.
    the chart i posted is interesting though regarding recoil reduction and the length of said recoil. i'm sure ill handle one shortly but it really does seem to be a mid ground between concussion, recoil pulse, and noise.

weight/length of an Ultra 7
    recoil reduction of a sidewinder
    recoil push/time of a 338 ultra
    noise of a ultra 5ish

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    LOL... someone thought I was watching a dildo ad while I was looking at this on my lunch break.

I don't know. I think it's cool what they're trying to do but for me, I just want to spin on my can and be done. I don't want to mess with different attachments and configurations.... but that's just my opinion.

I actually really like the idea of the middle ground. I'm willing to throw a little extra weight and length on the muzzle if I can get near the performance of a Hellfire brake without the concussion you get from brakes. Concussion is my sole complaint with running a good brake.

Reactions: kthomas
    I actually really like the idea of the middle ground. I'm willing to throw a little extra weight and length on the muzzle if I can get near the performance of a Hellfire brake without the concussion you get from brakes. Concussion is my sole complaint with running a good brake.
    I agree that the concussion is the worst. I shot a bare muzzle my entire first match season while I waited for my Ultra7...and with a *gasp* 6.5mm haha. The bare muzzle noise didn't bother me much because there was no concussion.

We'll have to wait and see for some more testing/numbers/feedback on the dB ratings and concussion. It still looks like a brake, but I understand that gas could be exiting at a significantly lower velocity.

1573842938988.png

One thing I do have issue with in the video is them saying the Maverick isn't hearing safe, and neither are other suppressors...then gestures at an Ultra7 and a 338 Ultra. I'm sorry, but a typical 6mm match round fired through a 338 Ultra most definitely IS hearing safe. TBAC showed a video where a 6 Creed meters at 125 dB.

If TBAC is listening, my dream match suppressor is a 6" 338 Ultra. I'm seriously hoping they have something like that at SHOT Show this year!

I agree that the concussion is the worst. I shot a bare muzzle my entire first match season while I waited for my Ultra7...and with a *gasp* 6.5mm haha. The bare muzzle noise didn't bother me much because there was no concussion.

We'll have to wait and see for some more testing/numbers/feedback on the dB ratings and concussion. It still looks like a brake, but I understand that gas could be exiting at a significantly lower velocity.

View attachment 7183717

One thing I do have issue with in the video is them saying the Maverick isn't hearing safe, and neither are other suppressors...then gestures at an Ultra7 and a 338 Ultra. I'm sorry, but a typical 6mm match round fired through a 338 Ultra most definitely IS hearing safe. TBAC showed a video where a 6 Creed meters at 125 dB.

If TBAC is listening, my dream match suppressor is a 6" 338 Ultra. I'm seriously hoping they have something like that at SHOT Show this year!
    i'd expect some other SR mount cans

View attachment 7183717

Hearing safe claims depend on if you're talking about the threshold for instantaneous damage vs damage over time. 140DB seems to be the standard for instant, permanent damage, but you can be well under that and still be taking hearing damage over time. I get the feeling Jon was referring to the latter, not the former.

Also, got a link to that video? 125db on a rifle seems a bit questionable, depending on where they measured the sound level from.

Hearing safe claims depend on if you're talking about the threshold for instantaneous damage vs damage over time. 140DB seems to be the standard for instant, permanent damage, but you can be well under that and still be taking hearing damage over time. I get the feeling Jon was referring to the latter, not the former.

Also, got a link to that video? 125db on a rifle seems a bit questionable, depending on where they measured the sound level from.
    The 338 ULTRA SR will suppress a typical .338 Lapua Magnum bolt-action rifle down to approximately 135-138 dB at the muzzle1, and approximately 124-128 dB at the shooter's ear 2. It also has very little or no "first round pop" (FRP) in most applications.

now use 40-50% of the powder

Here we have our Thunder Beast Arms 338 Ultra as well as the Ultra 9 in 30 cal and 6.5 mm on a 6.5CM. Using the B&K PULSE for shooters ear as well as Mil left and right sound readings.
    338- 123.1,119.7,122.3 Avg- 121.7
    U930- 122.7,126.8,123.2 Avg- 124.2
    U96.5- 124.9,121.3,122.8 Avg- 123

Here we have our Thunder Beast Arms 338 Ultra as well as the Ultra 9 in 30 cal and 6.5 mm on a 6.5CM. Using the B&K PULSE for shooters ear as well as Mil left and right sound readings.
    338- 123.1,119.7,122.3 Avg- 121.7
    U930- 122.7,126.8,123.2 Avg- 124.2
    U96.5- 124.9,121.3,122.8 Avg- 123

Interesting. Those numbers are still surprising, considering that makes it quieter than many suppressed 9mm setups. That said, Ray and the guys at TBAC know what they're doing when it comes to testing, but I also wonder about altitude, etc possibly playing a part.

As for hearing damage over time, the NIH says anything over 85db is going to cause hearing damage over time.

Yes, anything over 85 dB will cause hearing protection over time. I work in a shop that is heavily monitored and we're required to wear double ear pro since it is over 85 dB when equipment is running. But saying these TBAC cans aren't hearing safe, while insinuating they're the same/similar level of "being unsafe" to the Maverick is a bit of a distraction tactic IMO. Dropping a firing pin during dry fire is like 120 dB (tested by TBAC), so you might as well say NOTHING firearm related is hearing safe.

Reactions: kthomas
    i'd expect some other SR mount cans
    Since my Ultra7 is the regular CB brake, I'm not sure I'd want to introduce a different mounting system. I could've sworn I heard them say the Ultra5-7-9 series isn't large enough in diameter for the SR mount, so maybe they will have a new gen of Ultra or a shorter 338 :love:

Since my Ultra7 is the regular CB brake, I'm not sure I'd want to introduce a different mounting system. I could've sworn I heard them say the Ultra5-7-9 series isn't large enough in diameter for the SR mount, so maybe they will have a new gen of Ultra or a shorter 338 :love:
    i just ordered a 338 SR and am specifically waiting to order a 7" with SR mount. maybe SHOT maybe NRA idk :censored: ?‍♂️

If someone is having issues dealing with the mighty recoil of 6/6.5mm/30 caliber rifles, then they probably need to revisit some fundamentals. This just masks not being able to deal with recoil worth a shit.

If someone is having issues dealing with the mighty recoil of 6/6.5mm/30 caliber rifles, then they probably need to revisit some fundamentals. This just masks not being able to deal with recoil worth a shit.
    Almost everyone at PRS style matches uses a muzzle brake. Like they mention in the 419 video, it's not about the recoil per se, it's about muzzle rise and therefore reticle movement after the shot is fired. For the very top level shooters, I do think the difference between 0.2 mils of reticle movement and 1.0 mils of movement can make or break the top couple spots at a 2-day match. However for the vast majority of "regular" shooters, it's definitely not necessary to run a 5-port Fat Bastard brake on a 6BR.

I prefer to retain the hearing I have left and not get headaches, but others that aren't as much of a p*ssy as me (so I've been told) would rather have the concussive blast and have a much easier time spotting splash and even trace.

Almost everyone at PRS style matches uses a muzzle brake. Like they mention in the 419 video, it's not about the recoil per se, it's about muzzle rise and therefore reticle movement after the shot is fired. For the very top level shooters, I do think the difference between 0.2 mils of reticle movement and 1.0 mils of movement can make or break the top couple spots at a 2-day match. However for the vast majority of "regular" shooters, it's definitely not necessary to run a 5-port Fat Bastard brake on a 6BR.

I prefer to retain the hearing I have left and not get headaches, but others that aren't as much of a p*ssy as me (so I've been told) would rather have the concussive blast and have a much easier time spotting splash and even trace.

Well said. I will add that for prone stages, it's a lot less of an issue due to body position. When you start throwing in barricades where it's hard to nearly impossible to build a perfect position behind the rifle (especially under the time limit on a stage), then you need every advantage you can get to be able to stay on target and spot your own shots.

Interesting. Those numbers are still surprising, considering that makes it quieter than many suppressed 9mm setups. That said, Ray and the guys at TBAC know what they're doing when it comes to testing, but I also wonder about altitude, etc possibly playing a part.

As for hearing damage over time, the NIH says anything over 85db is going to cause hearing damage over time.
    The PULSE is extraordinarily consistent. Not an artifact of conditions. Shooter's ear is a lot quieter than milspec left/right. Your suppressed 9mm probably has its muzzle a lot closer to your ear than an AX too.

The PULSE is extraordinarily consistent. Not an artifact of conditions. Shooter's ear is a lot quieter than milspec left/right. Your suppressed 9mm probably has its muzzle a lot closer to your ear than an AX too.
    I was comparing to the listed results from SiCo. I wish I had access to a proper sound meter like you guys are using.

I'm looking forward to hearing about some shooter experiences with this thing.

One thing to keep in mind is that Area 419 tends to make things that you didn't know you needed until you see how well it works. I wouldn't have thought my Area 419 powder set up was all that necessary, until I tried it and now I would hate to live without it. I'll hold my judgement until I hear some shooter reviews and experience and hopefully see one in person.

On the topic of what is being discussed here about hearing damage, as a person who has probably done more volume testing than anyone in the world, what's your thoughts on ear pro even when suppressed during something like a long match day?

Even though I am completely comfortable shooting my TBAC on my rifle without ear pro when I am off by myself, I find myself always tossing my ear pro on when I am hanging with the guys for a full range day even though we all shoot suppressed. Just seems like I still feel a little numb in the ears after 9 hours of non stop shooting from various people who are all using cans.

I’m running it this weekend at the PRS finale. So far in testing last weekend and today I’ve been very happy.

Really interested on detailed thoughts from the weekend.

On the topic of what is being discussed here about hearing damage, as a person who has probably done more volume testing than anyone in the world, what's your thoughts on ear pro even when suppressed during something like a long match day?

Even though I am completely comfortable shooting my TBAC on my rifle without ear pro when I am off by myself, I find myself always tossing my ear pro on when I am hanging with the guys for a full range day even though we all shoot suppressed. Just seems like I still feel a little numb in the ears after 9 hours of non stop shooting from various people who are all using cans.
    There's no regenerating lost hearing so I pretty much agree with you. The thing about wearing earpro at the range is that just when you think you're clear and everyone is shooting suppressed, someone will crank one off without a can and your ears are ringing again.

There's no regenerating lost hearing so I pretty much agree with you. The thing about wearing earpro at the range is that just when you think you're clear and everyone is shooting suppressed, someone will crank one off without a can and your ears are ringing again.

And it never fails to be someone shooting a magnum with a ginormous brake that does it.

Reactions: TheMammoth
    Really interested on detailed thoughts from the weekend.

Post Finale Thoughts:

-Recoil Mitigation is phenomenal. I would estimate it to be roughly 90% as effective as a brake.
    -It’s certainly not hearing safe in the can+brake configuration, which is how I ran it. But in a match, you have ear pro on regardless since so many other shooters run brakes.
    -Fit and finish is what you would expect from Area419, perfect.
    -Didn’t notice any mirage. I was running a Cole-Tac cover they made specifically for the Maverick.
    -After 3 days and 275 rounds I had no fatigue. A lot of matches I’ll finish with a decent headache.

The most interesting thing to me was how much trace I saw. It was more than when I shoot a full can, OR a full brake. My assumption on this is because obviously a can flips, but I also believe when running a brake, the blast causes me to shut my eyes briefly. With the Maverick the brake is FAR less harsh and I felt able to track better. This certainly would be subjective based on the shooter, but I don’t think I’m the only one in this boat.

My assumption on this is because obviously a can flips, but I also believe when running a brake, the blast causes me to shut my eyes briefly.

That actually makes sense to me. I rarely see my own trace, but I run a brake on my match rifle.

Ran one all weekend at the finale, very impressed. Didn't feel beat up after 250 rounds like I do when I shoot a brake at a match, and I was seeing impacts/misses/trace all weekend without issue. Positional shooting feels extremely similar to a brake. I wish it wasnt the end of the season because I'd like to run this at a couple more matches now. Very excited overall.

Reactions: TheMammoth
    *dusts off Hide account*

What's up guys - Craig from Area 419.

Reading through the thread, I want to address a few points.

To begin, this is not, nor was it ever going to be, a Thunder Beast. The guys at TBAC have a terrific product line. If I want my rifle to be quiet, gimme that 338 BA. The Ultra 7 has also set the standard for mid-size suppressors. We have a great deal of respect for their work, and in all testing have used their stuff as the gold standard for suppression.

On to the Maverick - this was built with a match shooter in mind. If you're a guy that likes to bang some steel here and there with some buddies, and spends most of your time prone or on a bench, this may not appeal to you. That's ok, we aren't trying to please everyone.

Like many of our products, we started with a personal difficulty. I shoot a fairly large number of matches. This means a lot of rounds fired. As a competitive guy, I have nearly always shot these matches with a brake, wanting the greatest possible performance from my muzzle device. Downside here - brakes (wether ours or any other you'll see around) - create concussive pressure waves that effect the shooter not only at the time of the shot but over the course of a day/weekend/year/lifetime. The Maverick, in the competition setup with the brake attached, is built to retain that brake-like performance and eliminate the shock/fatigue of a brake. It does that, and if you're a match shooter you'll understand the importance.

The Maverick in the traditional suppressor configuration is also a very serviceable sound suppressor. Production models will be 8" long, and give you sound performance in line with the industry standard 7" cans. We knew we would lose some performance setting up the core unit to maximize the control from the brake, and this length/suppression ratio is the penalty.

We also understood that a lot of guys would want to train/hunt with the full suppressor configuration, and then shoot the braked setup in a match - so we made both ends weigh the same (they're so far all within about .5 gram), allowing a guy to go back and forth without a POI shift. Again, if you're a match shooter, this is sweet.

There's an above complaint about the aesthetic. While I typically (all the time) run a can with a cover, I wanted to explain the ribbing. It serves a few purposes. It provides band strength to the tube in certain places that are important to the construction of the can. The baffles are all pushing into one another and against the tube. This creates a great deal of concentricity, and keeps the baffle stack sealed so that long-term service can be performed in our shop. This construction also allows us to build in detail to the baffle skirts to use air as an insulator and hold in heat a little longer. Nothing worse than a 14-15 round stage that ends with mirage coming from your can and blurring a target. The ribs also allow us to use a larger diameter tube for the ends of the tubes, allowing for more solid caps and threads. Having a serviceable can was important, this is part of that process. We also like the ability of the ribs to retain a cover. NOTE: Production model cans will have a marginally less pronounced rib as we will be using custom-size titanium bar stock as opposed to common small-run sizes.

Worth noting - my opinion is biased, so I'll copy/paste some FB comments from a couple guys that shot them this weekend. Ruggles and Nathan have already said what Rooks and I (the other two to shoot the finale with them) will say, it's comfortable, controllable, and you'll spot trace like you never have. Here are some others:

Ryan Hansen: "So I shot this on Craig’s 6xc today. This is a amazing item. It’s hard to describe how it shoots but the gun shot “soft” barely coming off the target not just in the prone but also off a Barricade, the impulse was very smooth and the sound reduction it’s just enough to take the snap out of it. Pretty impressive device."

Steve Eames: "Shot this today. absolutely amazing, only shot 8 rounds prone and positional but never came close to loosing a bullet down range. wish i could have screwed it on my heavier match rifle to get a real evaluation, maybe another day. thanks 419 for innovation, creativity and meeting shooters demands!!"

I'm getting long-winded, but hope to be complete in addressing questions. We will be doing a FB Live on Wednesday night, so watch our Facebook page for that. We will also be pushing out more and more videos from both our range and from the finale. This system is the real deal, and we are very excited about getting them into more and more hands.

*dusts off Hide account*

To begin, this is not, nor was it ever going to be, a Thunder Beast. The guys at TBAC have a terrific product line. If I want my rifle to be quiet, gimme that 338 BA. The Ultra 7 has also set the standard for mid-size suppressors. We have a great deal of respect for their work, and in all testing have used their stuff as the gold standard for suppression.

On to the Maverick - this was built with a match shooter in mind. If you're a guy that likes to bang some steel here and there with some buddies, and spends most of your time prone or on a bench, this may not appeal to you. That's ok, we aren't trying to please everyone.

Like many of our products, we started with a personal difficulty. I shoot a fairly large number of matches. This means a lot of rounds fired. As a competitive guy, I have nearly always shot these matches with a brake, wanting the greatest possible performance from my muzzle device. Downside here - brakes (wether ours or any other you'll see around) - create concussive pressure waves that effect the shooter not only at the time of the shot but over the course of a day/weekend/year/lifetime. The Maverick, in the competition setup with the brake attached, is built to retain that brake-like performance and eliminate the shock/fatigue of a brake. It does that, and if you're a match shooter you'll understand the importance.

The Maverick in the traditional suppressor configuration is also a very serviceable sound suppressor. Production models will be 8" long, and give you sound performance in line with the industry standard 7" cans. We knew we would lose some performance setting up the core unit to maximize the control from the brake, and this length/suppression ratio is the penalty.

We also understood that a lot of guys would want to train/hunt with the full suppressor configuration, and then shoot the braked setup in a match - so we made both ends weigh the same (they're so far all within about .5 gram), allowing a guy to go back and forth without a POI shift. Again, if you're a match shooter, this is sweet.

There's an above complaint about the aesthetic. While I typically (all the time) run a can with a cover, I wanted to explain the ribbing. It serves a few purposes. It provides band strength to the tube in certain places that are important to the construction of the can. The baffles are all pushing into one another and against the tube. This creates a great deal of concentricity, and keeps the baffle stack sealed so that long-term service can be performed in our shop. This construction also allows us to build in detail to the baffle skirts to use air as an insulator and hold in heat a little longer. Nothing worse than a 14-15 round stage that ends with mirage coming from your can and blurring a target. The ribs also allow us to use a larger diameter tube for the ends of the tubes, allowing for more solid caps and threads. Having a serviceable can was important, this is part of that process. We also like the ability of the ribs to retain a cover. NOTE: Production model cans will have a marginally less pronounced rib as we will be using custom-size titanium bar stock as opposed to common small-run sizes.

Worth noting - my opinion is biased, so I'll copy/paste some FB comments from a couple guys that shot them this weekend. Ruggles and Nathan have already said what Rooks and I (the other two to shoot the finale with them) will say, it's comfortable, controllable, and you'll spot trace like you never have. Here are some others:

Ryan Hansen: "So I shot this on Craig’s 6xc today. This is a amazing item. It’s hard to describe how it shoots but the gun shot “soft” barely coming off the target not just in the prone but also off a Barricade, the impulse was very smooth and the sound reduction it’s just enough to take the snap out of it. Pretty impressive device."

Steve Eames: "Shot this today. absolutely amazing, only shot 8 rounds prone and positional but never came close to loosing a bullet down range. wish i could have screwed it on my heavier match rifle to get a real evaluation, maybe another day. thanks 419 for innovation, creativity and meeting shooters demands!!"

I'm getting long-winded, but hope to be complete in addressing questions. We will be doing a FB Live on Wednesday night, so watch our Facebook page for that. We will also be pushing out more and more videos from both our range and from the finale. This system is the real deal, and we are very excited about getting them into more and more hands.

I love the idea and if others can’t understand the idea by the many explanations in this thread, well the muzzle brakes have already damaged their brains lol. By stage 4 my brain is killing me and I shoot suppressed so I hope others buy this!!

*dusts off Hide account*

Thanks for dusting the account off to chime in here. I'll definitely be in for one at or shortly after they're up for order.