• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 ZERO Press (Black Edition 1 of 25)

FuhQ

Unreconstructed
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2013
    Your Wife's Pussy
    My new Area 419 ZERO Black Edition 1 of 25 for the Special Forces Charitable Trust came in yesterday. Man this thing is a work of art! The tolerances are ridiculously tight! Can’t wait to load some ammo on it one night this week.

The only issue, was it came standard with a Hybrid turret, and I need a turret that’s all for 7/8” dies. So I’m waiting on that to arrive from Midway. Should be here tomorrow.

Anyone else running a ZERO press?

I started this thread for anyone/everyone to post up their thoughts and opinions, and tips and tricks, questions, and for updates for when new products are available for them. So, this is an open thread. 👍🏼

IMG_7893.jpegIMG_7895.jpegIMG_7896.jpegIMG_7900.jpegIMG_7901.jpegIMG_7902.jpeg

Since I needed one 1.250" die, but wanted to use the rest of the slots for 7/8" dies I found the Lee thread adapter works to change a 1.25" slot to a 7/8" slot.

Reactions: FuhQ
    Since I needed one 1.250" die, but wanted to use the rest of the slots for 7/8" dies I found the Lee thread adapter works to change a 1.25" slot to a 7/8" slot.
    Yeah, I know you can buy the adapters, but I figured that when it came to buying something this nice, might as well just spend the $225 and get a complete new 7/8" turret for it. I'll probably never use the Hybrid turret unless I buy a .375 CT or .408 CT, but if I do, I'll have the turret on-hand. I just store it in the original press box. 😏👍🏼

By the time I saw the email they were gone. Very cool. Congrats on snagging one
    I was sitting at work, and I decided randomly to check my personal email (which I do a couple times throughout the day), and noticed I had just gotten that email a couple minutes ago. I saw the all matte black and my jaw hit the floor. I went straight to their website, read all about it, and then added it to cart. I put in my CC info, and sat there for a minute... Then I decided naw...I don't want to drop that coin right now. Then I realized I was going to end up buying one of these presses eventually anyway, and I had the extra cash, and I really loved the all-black, so I said, "Fuck it! You only live once, and can't take it with you when you go..." And then I hit submit. Being that there was only 25 made, and I was hesitating, I was fully expecting there to be a pop up window that said "SOLD OUT", but it went through. 😂

One of these is on my list but gotta finish buying all the other shit first lol
    After spending 15+ years making some really damn fine precision ammo on that old Rock Chucker Supreme IV, this thing is night and day. I can't wait to load up some ammo on it tomorrow or Thursday night after work, when my 7/8" turret shows up.

One piece of advice I can give you, is that If you're going to buy a nice turret press, go ahead and save up the money for one of these ZERO presses...Don't waste it on any other press. And once you get one of these, or get a chance to play with one, you'll understand why I say that. This is without question, the nicest and most precision single-stage reloading press on the market. The tolerances are absolutely ridiculous.

After spending 15+ years making some really damn fine precision ammo on that old Rock Chucker Supreme IV, this thing is night and day. I can't wait to load up some ammo on it tomorrow or Thursday night after work, when my 7/8" turret shows up.

The 419 press won't make better ammo than your RCS. It's a nice press and all but the quality of your ammo won't be any different.

The 419 press won't make better ammo than your RCS. It's a nice press and all but the quality of your ammo won't be any different.
    Well, I do have plenty of loads that are super low single digit ES & SD's using that old RC and regular old RCBS dies... So it will be hard to beat that. But, after years of wearing-out that RC the arms have gotten exponential wear & tear with lots of wiggle, the ram isn't as smooth as it used to be.

Probably wouldn't hurt to call RCBS and see if I can send it into them for refurb, with some new pins in the arms and polish the ram, because I still plan on using it, just probably going to be using it for specific things like maybe as a permanent decapping press, or for loading up my range subsonic .300 BLK ammo, or something along those lines. It will still get utilized, just needs some TLC after all those years of service.

I already have a Dillon and a Hornady single-stage for precision ammo so the Zero would be a luxury rather than a necessity, but I’ll probably grab one some day.

Well, I do have plenty of loads that are super low single digit ES & SD's using that old RC and regular old RCBS dies... So it will be hard to beat that. But, after years of wearing-out that RC the arms have gotten exponential wear & tear with lots of wiggle, the ram isn't as smooth as it used to be.

Probably wouldn't hurt to call RCBS and see if I can send it into them for refurb, with some new pins in the arms and polish the ram, because I still plan on using it, just probably going to be using it for specific things like maybe as a permanent decapping press, or for loading up my range subsonic .300 BLK ammo, or something along those lines. It will still get utilized, just needs some TLC after all those years of service.

I use mine as a decapper and occasionally as a bullet puller. Haven’t loaded on it in years.
    19E83F75-ED2A-4818-8B15-D677895346ED.jpeg

I use mine as a decapper and occasionally as a bullet puller. Haven’t loaded on it in years. View attachment 8128361
    That’s probably what mine will mostly end up being, is a collet bullet puller/decapper/.300 BLK range subsonics bullet seater/whatever I need a spare press for. 👍🏼

Have you looked into the Mighty Armory decapping dies? I’ve known Wayne for years, and he’s a great guy making amazing products. I’ve been running one of his Magnum decappers since 2018, and still haven’t broken a pin in 25,000+ rounds. The machining is exceptional, too, and so is his customer service. 👍🏼

Reactions: Devildog
    Since moving up to the Zero, the trusty T-7 is now my utility press hosting a variety decapping dies, bullet pullers and swaging dies.

Since moving up to the Zero, the trusty T-7 is now my utility press hosting a variety decapping dies, bullet pullers and swaging dies.
    Have you seen all the Creedmoor Sports upgrades for the T7 presses? I was going to get one of those, and then do all the upgrades, but by the time I did that, I'd be halfway into a ZERO. But since you already have the T7, you can upgrade for a really good price.

Reactions: Dogtown
    That’s probably what mine will mostly end up being, is a collet bullet puller/decapper/.300 BLK range subsonics bullet seater/whatever I need a spare press for. 👍🏼

Have you looked into the Mighty Armory decapping dies? I’ve known Wayne for years, and he’s a great guy making amazing products. I’ve been running one of his Magnum decappers since 2018, and still haven’t broken a pin in 25,000+ rounds. The machining is exceptional, too, and so is his customer service. 👍🏼

I just got in yesterday two Mighty Armory decapping dies, I picked up a new 223 die as well. They look great, I’m anxious to see how they work. I got one to set up a dedicated tool head on my Dillon 650 to decap and swag mostly bulk 223. The other is for the chucker.

I just got in yesterday two Mighty Armory decapping dies, I picked up a new 223 die as well. They look great, I’m anxious to see how they work. I got one to set up a dedicated tool head on my Dillon 650 to decap and swag mostly bulk 223. The other is for the chucker.
    They’re solid units, you’ll enjoy them. 👍🏼

Reactions: Devildog
    I have, or have had, a Pacific/Hornady, Rockchucker, Co-Ax, Dillon 750 (with upgrades for precision brass prep), and now a Zero. The zero is a beautiful tool and I’m stoked to have it. Rock solid, tight tolerances, and a pleasure to use.

The Co-Ax is now in the “should I keep it” bin and it’s not looking good…

I have, or have had, a Pacific/Hornady, Rockchucker, Co-Ax, Dillon 750 (with upgrades for precision brass prep), and now a Zero. The zero is a beautiful tool and I’m stoked to have it. Rock solid, tight tolerances, and a pleasure to use.

The Co-Ax is now in the “should I keep it” bin and it’s not looking good…
    Resized some 6 ARC brass tonight on it. First use. This thing is insane how precise and tight the tolerances are. Also, the amount of force it applies onto the ram vs. force you apply to the handle is really crazy. I'm definitely happy with my investment. 👍🏼

Reactions: Herb Stoner
    Tolerance ≠ Clearance

Lets just cool it with the whole “tight tolerances”. Tolerance has nothing to do with feel.

Tolerance ≠ Clearance

Lets just cool it with the whole “tight tolerances”. Tolerance has nothing to do with feel.

The Zero and Prazzipress are probably the only two presses on the market with tight tolerances. Every single other press has both loose tolerances and even looser clearances. Also, you're wrong about the feel; Hornady presses are wobbly pieces of shit because they can't hold tolerance so they build in clearance.

As I do own a Präzipress and am curious about the Area, did anyone compare them directly?

The press is awesome and i bet toleranced correctly as all of the 419 gear is. Not bashing it, i even got a 419 order last night.

Moving members on assemblies has clearance built in, otherwise parts would not move. Thats not my opinion, that just the law part of the laws of physics.

The zero has tighter clearances than the piece of shit hornady you made the mistake of buying @Cascade Hemi requiring 419 to adhere to narrower tolerances but tolerance by itself has no bearing on fit/feel. If the hornady is toleranced and built to .0001” but with a massive ton of clearance is it can still be a wobbly piece of shit.

Again, Defiance Deviants are tight because of clearance, not because of tolerance.

The press is awesome @FuhQ load the shit out of it. And i am fun at parties, i have a casio calculator watch that’s a splendid ice breaker. Usually tells me if I should stay or leave, if you know what i mean

The press is awesome and i bet toleranced correctly as all of the 419 gear is. Not bashing it, i even got a 419 order last night.

Moving members on assemblies has clearance built in, otherwise parts would not move. Thats not my opinion, that just the law part of the laws of physics.

The zero has tighter clearances than the piece of shit hornady you made the mistake of buying @Cascade Hemi requiring 419 to adhere to narrower tolerances but tolerance by itself has no bearing on fit/feel. If the hornady is toleranced and built to .0001” but with a massive ton of clearance is it can still be a wobbly piece of shit.

Again, Defiance Deviants are tight because of clearance, not because of tolerance.

The press is awesome @FuhQ load the shit out of it. And i am fun at parties, i have a casio calculator watch that’s a splendid ice breaker. Usually tells me if I should stay or leave, if you know what i mean

As far as reloading presses are concerned, no one would be willing to pay for .0001" tolerance from Hornady or most other manufacturers. I doubt Lee or Hornady can even hold .001" on their rams for their current cost. They make up for their tolerance with clearance. Float is a cost reduction strategy and of course low end presses are designed with clearances that match expected tolerances. Rushing into this thread and trying to divorce tolerance from clearance like no one has ever heard it before is embarrassing. Just stop.

The Zero aluminum handle kind of sucks. I've been pestering Dan at Inline Fab for a while for a roller lever and I think he's going to make it. The factory lever is .750" at a 10 degree angle.

#truth

The A419 seems like a nice luxury press with some nice features. No doubt it's high quality and craftsmanship. For those that have the money and value quality craftsmanship, I'm sure this press will make reloading more enjoyable in the reloading room.

What it won't do is make better ammo, as the common press isn't the weakest point in our reloading equipment or components. Invest in the equipment and components that will make better ammo first (the low hanging fruit), and then get the luxury equipment (like the Zero press) if that's your thing.

All that said, the Zero looks like a really nice press. Not personally something I would spend my money on, but I wouldn't blame others for getting one, especially if they've already taken care of the low hanging fruit elsewhere in the reloading room.

For someone getting into reloading, would you guys recommend just getting one of these?

For someone getting into reloading, would you guys recommend just getting one of these?

Depends.

There's a lot of other equipment that will have a bigger impact on the quality of your reloads. If you have a finite budget, I would spend it on equipment that would have an actual impact on down range performance.

If you have an unlimited budget and geek out on equipment that's got a high level of craftsmanship, then go nuts.

Reactions: Oakleys
    #truth

The A419 seems like a nice luxury press with some nice features. No doubt it's high quality and craftsmanship. For those that have the money and value quality craftsmanship, I'm sure this press will make reloading more enjoyable in the reloading room.

What it won't do is make better ammo, as the common press isn't the weakest point in our reloading equipment or components. Invest in the equipment and components that will make better ammo first (the low hanging fruit), and then get the luxury equipment (like the Zero press) if that's your thing.

All that said, the Zero looks like a really nice press. Not personally something I would spend my money on, but I wouldn't blame others for getting one, especially if they've already taken care of the low hanging fruit elsewhere in the reloading room.
    I have taken care of that fruit many many years ago. So this was more-or-less a long-overdue presents to myself. 👍🏼

Reactions: kthomas
    What are more important products to spend the most on? Other than good brass and bullets

If you are the kind of person who likes to “Buy once, cry once”, then absolutely drop the coin and start with the best, instead of gradually spending 5x that amount slowly upgrading lesser quality equipment until you reach the top.

I can’t tell you how many gadgets I bought for reloading that I regret buying because either A.) I don’t need/use it anymore, or B.) something better or more efficient came out, so I bought one of those.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ACard
    What are more important products to spend the most on? Other than good brass and bullets
    Good quality dies (Redding, or better) with a spring-loaded floating sleeve micrometer seating die. 👍🏼

A good set of calipers (Starrett, Mitatoyo), a bullet comparator and flat base for your calipers that measures off the ogive (Hornady has worked fine for me), a motorized 3-station head so you can put your chamfer, deburr, and primer crimp cutters on it all at once, a good (precise) powered case trimmer, powered powder dispenser (ChargeMaster 1500, Link, or MatchMaster), etc…

Last edited:

A few items off the top of my head:

- Dies
    - Powder dispensing system
    - Annealers
    - Trimming/Chamfering/Deburring systems
    - Micrometers

#truth

The Zero does some things different than other turret presses. There aren't any other turret presses that can hot swap turrets without changing the die to ram face relationship. The closest you come to it is the T7, with upgrades, and it still suffers from needing clearance to rotate and subsequent wear from rotation. Does any of it matter? Well, it depends which end of the tolerance your press's parts are on. The Zero doesn't suffer from wear though, and you're always on the right end of the tolerance.

I've owned most of the common presses on the market and couldn't wait to get rid of some of the more well regarded (Redding and Forster). I still have an RCBS RCS and think very highly of it, I'm just tired of resetting dies.

Reactions: FuhQ and kthomas
    The Zero does some things different than other turret presses. There aren't any other turret presses that can hot swap turrets without changing the die to ram face relationship. The closest you come to it is the T7, with upgrades, and it still suffers from needing clearance to rotate and subsequent wear from rotation. Does any of it matter? Well, it depends which end of the tolerance your press's parts are on. The Zero doesn't suffer from wear though, and you're always on the right end of the tolerance.

I've owned most of the common presses on the market and couldn't wait to get rid of some of the more well regarded (Redding and Forster). I still have an RCBS RCS and think very highly of it, I'm just tired of resetting dies.

Undoubtedly the Zero has nice well thought out features.

Disappointing. I read the thread title and opened with intentions of seeing who here was flexing with piece mark #1. :p

Last edited:
    Disappointing. I read the thread title and opened with intentions of seeing who here was flexing with piece mark #1. :p
    Would have preferred number 11 (my lucky number that I see everywhere), but I’m ok with number 7 (still in the single digits 😏). They say continuously seeing the number 7 is the universe giving you a sign of good luck and good fortune ahead. 👍🏼