• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 Zero Press

USMCRUZ

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2024
Washington State
Good afternoon gents! I ordered the Zero press, and I was wondering what does the press come with, and what will i need extra to start reloading on this press. I've had a Dillon xl650, and I'm not new to reloading, but I've been trying to find what else from the company i would need to get this press up and running. I bought dies and all the basic components, but I'm new to this press, and I'm not sure what else to order. Dillon has drop downs when ordering, plus suggestions, while this press acts like its hiding a secret, lol. I tried contacting the company but got no response. So, if anyone has this press, feel free to chime in it will be much appreciated.

I really like their shell holder system. I also bought lock rings. A stand from inline fabrications. I’ll follow up as I remember.

Reactions: Taylorbok
You need the press, their shellholder system, die rings and a stand (inline fab is the most popular)

IMG_5329.jpeg

Reactions: simonp
You need the press, their shellholder system, die rings and a stand (inline fab is the most popular)
You don't need those things, they're just accessories. They're nice to have, but they're not necessities to make the press work.

@USMCRUZ You can use any standard shell holder (I have found Redding works best), regular die rings will work just fine after you adjust them to the right depth on your press...I like using the Hornady lock rings (as seen below) because they use a clamping style with the screw, instead of a set-screw that digs into the die threads, so adjusting them while fitting to your press is easier. Also, I recommend getting the Hornady lock ring tool, as well, it's cheap. And the press will mount right to a bench if you drill 3 holes. I recommend putting the bottom plate on your bench as a template, then use a sharpie and trace-out the holes. Then find center and drill them out. Simple as that. You don't HAVE to have all that other stuff, but they are nice to have if you want to spend the money on them.

One other thing about using those locking lock-rings, is that you can remove and swap-out the dies and reinstall them and you don't have to reset them each time, because the lock ring holds it's place because it's tightened to the die, not the turret.

IMG_7956.jpeg

Last edited:
The stand is handy especially if you will be doing large batches of cartridges as it is a better height. I like the lock rings for the solid purchase and wider surface area. I reload a 450 No2 Nitro Express cartridge on this press (barely) the case is 3.5 inches long and COAL is 4.28-4.30.

The stand is definitely not necessary if you are permanently mounting the press. I use the stand and clamps because I move my press around and also take it to the range. My T7 is also on a stand and I switch them around depending on what I’m doing. At the range I can have them all loaded long and do a bullet seating test with minimal waste of components and time.

I could convince myself that I’m making better ammo with their shell holder than the standard ones I was using when I first got the press. It eliminates wobble in the shell holder and of course allows contact with the shell holder and die, while still setting the shoulder to the desired location.

I can’t make an argument for the lock rings, but I like them. Aesthetics.

I use RCBS shell holders and Hornady split locking rings. I have mine on a InLine Fab riser but it comes with a mount.

I really appreciate all the responses. I purchased their shell holder system and bullet seating plate. I ordered the Whidden dies and I'm not sure if they come with lock rings. From what I read, I need to get the lock rings, mount, and a new gun. I appreciate all the help. This would be my first single stage press; I've only loaded on progressive presses. Main caliber I'll be reloading is 338 Lapua. I'm not worried about pumping out 1000 rounds an hour, more like 20 to 40 precision rounds an hour, and I'll be happy.