• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 vs Sightmark Pinnacle 5-30x50

Cotay

La Planète des singes
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2017
North Idaho
Any thoughts now that these are the same price? The Pinnacle appears to be closely following the LOW reference design and the ETR looks GTG as well. I'm inclined to the Japanese Pinnacle but the ETR reviews have me questioning that.

I'm sure the Pinnacle is a fine scope but I also consider resale when I buy scopes. Fair or not, I think the Athlon would hold a higher percentage of its value, even though it's not a LOW made optic.

Do you prefer the reticle that comes with the pinnacle? I think if that's the case I would go with the sightmark.

Sightmark Pinnacle has a pretty unforgiving eyebox over 20x, which is a no-no for me. It's got decent glass and a good EBR-2D clone reticle. Resale is going to suck. I picked one up for $800 and returned it. As much as I like to automatically give a Japanese scope the win, you might be better served checking out the ETR.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm not usually too concerned with resale value since I tend to keep my scopes long term and re-purpose them as I buy/build new rifles. The eyebox is a concern however.

Sightmark Pinnacle has a pretty unforgiving eyebox over 20x, which is a no-no for me. It's got decent glass and a good EBR-2D clone reticle. Resale is going to suck. I picked one up for $800 and returned it. As much as I like to automatically give a Japanese scope the win, you might be better served checking out the ETR.

Was that the refurb Pinnacle? I've seen them that low but they only come with a 90-day warranty. Sightmark really needs to step it up on their warranty...I just picked up a Bushnell XRSII refurb with full warranty. I have another rifle that needs a scope so I'm still hunting down a more "budget" oriented option.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm not usually too concerned with resale value since I tend to keep my scopes long term and re-purpose them as I buy/build new rifles. The eyebox is a concern however.

Was that the refurb Pinnacle? I've seen them that low but they only come with a 90-day warranty. Sightmark really needs to step it up on their warranty...I just picked up a Bushnell XRSII refurb with full warranty. I have another rifle that needs a scope so I'm still hunting down a more "budget" oriented option.

The DMR2 was really cheap with the recent deals. Would be good for a higher end budget scope. If the deals are still going on

So after my original post I ended up with a Bushnell XRS2 from Bushnell's last really big sale on Elite Tactical scopes.

In the meantime I decided I wanted a different mid-range scope for another rifle and was about to go with one of the Ares BTR closeouts in 2.5-15x.

But then I found the Sightmark Pinnacle 3-18x44 for $547 (give or take a few dimes) shipped. It arrived today and I'm very impressed with the glass clarity and feel of the turrets (of course I can't really comment on it in real use yet).

However, the elevation turret is misaligned by one click. It isn't that the markings on top of the turret were applied incorrectly, the turret itself was installed one click off center. It may not be functionally an issue, but I'm anal about such things so now I either send it in for warranty repair or wait 2-5 weeks for Amazon to get another example in stock.

20191007_210518.jpg
20191007_210532.jpg

So after my original post I ended up with a Bushnell XRS2 from Bushnell's last really big sale on Elite Tactical scopes.

In the meantime I decided I wanted a different mid-range scope for another rifle and was about to go with one of the Ares BTR closeouts in 2.5-15x.

But then I found the Sightmark Pinnacle 3-18x44 for $547 (give or take a few dimes) shipped. It arrived today and I'm very impressed with the glass clarity and feel of the turrets (of course I can't really comment on it in real use yet).

However, the elevation turret is misaligned by one click. It isn't that the markings on top of the turret were applied incorrectly, the turret itself was installed one click off center. It may not be functionally an issue, but I'm anal about such things so now I either send it in for warranty repair or wait 2-5 weeks for Amazon to get another example in stock.

View attachment 7160222View attachment 7160223
You know that the turret and zero stop are adjustable right?

Reactions: Tunnuh
You know that the turret and zero stop are adjustable right?

Perhaps I wasn't clear, the static rev indicator ring (see silver at bottom of turret) is installed off center. No amount of adjusting the turret or zero stop changes where the static rev indicator ring on the turret lines up. Placing your zero on the static rev indicator line will always result in the zero being one click off to the left from true dead center. It may not bother some, but like I said I'm anal about such things.

Edit: Sightmark said that it needs to be warrantied and I'll get a new scope.

Edit: The plot thickens. Amazon won't have any additional stock for 2-5 weeks so they just offered me $100 off the scope to go with the manufacturer's warranty option.

Last edited:
Perhaps I wasn't clear, the static rev indicator ring (see silver at bottom of turret) is installed off center. No amount of adjusting the turret or zero stop changes where the static rev indicator ring on the turret lines up. Placing your zero on the static rev indicator line will always result in the zero being one click off to the left from true dead center. It may not bother some, but like I said I'm anal about such things.
Ok, I see it now. That would bother me too.

Reactions: Cotay