• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Argentine Nedinsco Scope?

jamgordon82

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am a new member from the UK.

I am helping an old gentleman to organize his stuff as he is moving to a new home. I found this scope among some of his old stuff that he is considering throwing away.
1100185073.jpeg

1100185075.jpeg

I have done a bit of research, I believe it is an Argentine Nedinsco scope. But I am not sure if it is for M1909 as the mount base is different.

Can anyone share some insight on it? I am just curious about the background history of it as it is a nice scope and seems is a shame if he just chuck it away.

Thank you for all your assistance.
James

Reactions: Nicezielklein
Hi all, I am a new member from the UK.

I am helping an old gentleman to organize his stuff as he is moving to a new home. I found this scope among some of his old stuff that he is considering throwing away.
View attachment 8190384
View attachment 8190385

I have done a bit of research, I believe it is an Argentine Nedinsco scope. But I am not sure if it is for M1909 as the mount base is different.

Can anyone share some insight on it? I am just curious about the background history of it as it is a nice scope and seems is a shame if he just chuck it away.

Thank you for all your assistance.
James
Wish I could help you with this scope, but it's outside my area of knowledge. I'll bet there are vintage scope collectors and/or rifle builders who would be very interested in making an offer for it.

Reactions: jamgordon82
I really don’t know about that one specifically. But it says Carl Zeiss, Jena in it.

So it is interesting, probably rare and potentially valuable. Don’t throw out under any circumstances. Things that come in fitted leather pouches with accessories are never “cheap.”

Argentine Mausers are classy Rigles. I have one that I was planning on chopping up and using as a custom. Some other folks no doubt have them too. Only problem is what is the value… but I guarantee it is more valuable than throwing it out!

Sirhr

My guess, without knowledge is that the scope was made by Zeiss and marketed by Nedinsco or under license from Zeiss.

Similar to the 1911 clones built in Argentina but under license from Colt.

Argentina had resources, leadership with a Northern European intellect and work ethic and access to cheap labor. They also had a capitalistic government and mindset.

All of that combined allowed the building of high quality technology advanced products.

See you are in the UK. Any chance this gentleman was in the Falklands? Not a lot of cool stuff got brought back.

If that has Falklands provenance (it would have been outdated by then… but the Argies had some old crap in their inventory.).

If it came back fromFalklands and hs provenance… lots of value!

Sirhr

Reactions: sandwarrior
What type of reticle does it have? A lot of these were pulled from 1909 snipers and used in armored service. Finding originals that haven't had their reticles replaced is quite a rarity.

Last edited:
I really don’t know about that one specifically. But it says Carl Zeiss, Jena in it.

So it is interesting, probably rare and potentially valuable. Don’t throw out under any circumstances. Things that come in fitted leather pouches with accessories are never “cheap.”

Argentine Mausers are classy Rigles. I have one that I was planning on chopping up and using as a custom. Some other folks no doubt have them too. Only problem is what is the value… but I guarantee it is more valuable than throwing it out!

Sirhr
Thank you for your advice sir. I do not want him to throw away it either. Feels a shame if a piece of history is ended up in the bin.

I will relay this message and talk him down. It is his personal possession and I don't want him to lose any of it.

Thank you for your advice sir. I do not want him to throw away it either. Feels a shame if a piece of history is ended up in the bin.

I will relay this message and talk him down. It is his personal possession and I don't want him to lose any of it.

If it has a Falklands provenance, the IWM would want it in a heartbeat. As would any one of a number of regimental museums.

I am certain there would be buyers regardless.

Never bin history! Thanks for posting and sharing!

Sirhr

Reactions: RTH1800
If it has a Falklands provenance, the IWM would want it in a heartbeat. As would any one of a number of regimental museums.

I am certain there would be buyers regardless.

Never bin history! Thanks for posting and sharing!

Sirhr
The IWM and the Royal Armouries at Leeds has all the good stuff one can possess already haha. This scope I don't think will be any interest to them.

And since any WW1 and WW2 stuff is scattered around the country already over the years, anything can pops up from anywhere these days. Not limited to certain parts of England.

And totally agree not to bin history. It is almost a sin to do so. So I will try my best to convince him.

Thank you everyone for your reply and help!

Reactions: rhsc
What type of reticle does it have? A lot of these were pulled from 1909 snipers and used in armored service. Finding originals that haven't had their reticles replaced is quite a rarity.
Interesting point... actually I didn't look through the scope and we are moving a lot of stuff but this clearly stands out. So I took a few pics and carry on packing. Let me see if I can revisit for a peek.

James,

Circling back, I am not sure there is any Argentinean connection. Scope seems to be Dutch Mfg and likely WW11 German sniper. You should try to find out what the owner knows.
Thank you for sharing the photos.

RTH

The IWM and the Royal Armouries at Leeds has all the good stuff one can possess already haha. This scope I don't think will be any interest to them.

And since any WW1 and WW2 stuff is scattered around the country already over the years, anything can pops up from anywhere these days. Not limited to certain parts of England.

And totally agree not to bin history. It is almost a sin to do so. So I will try my best to convince him.

Thank you everyone for your reply and help!

Agreed they would not need another 'scope.' But if this is somehow linked to the Falklands, those artifacts, bring-backs and souvenirs are actually very rare... as the Para's travelled light!

Anyway, it's rare, beautiful and valuable. If the owner is not against you posting any history he has on it here, I'd love to know the background!

Cheers and, again, thanks for posting!

Sirhr

See you are in the UK. Any chance this gentleman was in the Falklands? Not a lot of cool stuff got brought back.

If that has Falklands provenance (it would have been outdated by then… but the Argies had some old crap in their inventory.).

If it came back fromFalklands and hs provenance… lots of value!

Sirhr
It is my understanding that the Argentine snipers in the Falklands used FN FAL rifles and that the mercenary snipers who spoke with Yank accents used Remington 700 based rifles.

Agreed they would not need another 'scope.' But if this is somehow linked to the Falklands, those artifacts, bring-backs and souvenirs are actually very rare... as the Para's travelled light!

Anyway, it's rare, beautiful and valuable. If the owner is not against you posting any history he has on it here, I'd love to know the background!

Cheers and, again, thanks for posting!

Sirhr
Yes sir that is correct. During the Falkland war certain Argentinian equipments was captured and used by the British soldiers including scopes and night vision devices because they are superior. And the British L1A1 can accept accessories from the FAL but not vice versa.

Some of those equipment did make it back the mainland. And they are quite collectable as they are both functional and rich in history.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic