• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arizona Long range/ ELR

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Kennewick, WA
Looking for information on opportunities in AZ to shoot long range/ extreme long range.

Any guidance on places to shoot extended distance in AZ?

Sounds like work will want me to live in the phoenix/ flagstaff area. I’m in the PNW now and opportunities to go 1000+ yds are everywhere. Hoping I can find similar in AZ.

Thanks for any info!

Fagstaff is pretty leftist with the university and all. Get out of town and there should be lots of National Forest where you can shoot. Or thry

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/ranges/
If all else fails theres the NRA Whittington Center in Faton Pass NM. A drive but well worth it.

www.nrawc.orgNRA Whittington Center : The Country's Premier Shooting Facility

The NRA Whittington Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and relies on the generous contributions of donors who want to preserve our heritage of freedom for the next generation of

Reactions: m1ajunkie
There are long range groups in the Phoenix area. And a range or two capable.

Cowtown on the northern edge of Phoenix has some longer ranges with steel. Most LR/ELR is done on public lands. A few years ago I ran into an F-class/Palma shooter at the range in Flagstaff and he showed me a spot nearby that you can get out to around 1000yds. Didn’t really make sense for me as it was almost a 2hr drive to get there are SOL if it’s already being used for shorter ranges.

Reactions: MediumSpeed
I live in Prescott it's kinda crowded and not many good places to shoot tbh. The areas where the locals go such as the quarry road are war zones on the weekend. The long range clubs seem to be most active in the north and east phoenix valley.

CowTown is private but it is really fun/convenient. Steel is at random distances from 200 ~ 1000 yards. Ben Avery has a good reputation but I haven't shot there yet. The 1k range in Ogden near Kingman is nice but it has been several years since I was there - good luck!

Reactions: Jgunner
Fagstaff is pretty leftist with the university and all. Get out of town and there should be lots of National Forest where you can shoot. Or thry

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/ranges/
If all else fails theres the NRA Whittington Center in Faton Pass NM. A drive but well worth it.

www.nrawc.orgNRA Whittington Center : The Country's Premier Shooting Facility

The NRA Whittington Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and relies on the generous contributions of donors who want to preserve our heritage of freedom for the next generation of
It's "R"aton NM and about a 8-10ish hour drive from Flag, but worth it especially if you are going to spend a couple days. Couple years ago several of us rented one of the Founders cabins and spent 4 days there. It was glorious!

OP, just wanted to comment that Phoenix and Flagstaff are a good 2+ hours away from each other. So not sure about work but it would be one or the other, which would make a big difference in where you would go to shoot.

OP, just wanted to comment that Phoenix and Flagstaff are a good 2+ hours away from each other. So not sure about work but it would be one or the other, which would make a big difference in where you would go to shoot.

Lots of flexibility in where I move..... Looking for where the prime shooting spots are so that I can look for housing close to that area if possible.

I'm in the south east corner of the state. I found a chunk of blm land that goes as far as I can imagine.

There is places west of flag that could work well. I will be setting something up next year, but not matches. Just placing steel out there. Prob mostly sub 1,000 but i will be doing some stuff to 1500. No big targets. I should know more mid spring.

Just remember no shooting on state trust land, only BLM. There’s an app with GPS that identifies which is which.
Cant leave your steel set up either,,, or shoot over/across trails or near any buildings.
Lots to know but you don’t need any challenges with the law.

ELR is not a 1,000 yards guys. I think the OP is thinking 2,000 plus yards?

I'm in the south east corner of the state. I found a chunk of blm land that goes as far as I can imagine.

I like the funky old towns down there but I have no idea how I'd make a living in some place like Bisbee or Patagonia.

This will mean they will outlaw shooting on BLM land soon.

That's at the federal level and I really doubt it.

And they really need more ranges out here on public land.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I like the funky old towns down there but I have no idea how I'd make a living in some place like Bisbee or Patagonia.

The mines are always looking. We need another wrench. Move to tombstone and sell stuff. I've not been to lake Patagonia in like 50 years.

Shoot suppressed only, They can’t hear ya, they can’t find ya!
Get a general hunting license from Game and Fish, if they pop you on state trust land, you were hunting jacks or coyotes which are open all year
Your vehicle is how they will find you, not gunshots.

I prefer not to play games by pretending to be hunting when I'm not. Any cop worth his salt will instantly know your full of shit when the back of your truck is full of steel, paper targets or boxes...

Easy to make a living in Bisbee/Patagonia...just sell crystals to rub, open a yoga shop or sell or marijuana. =}

Clearly once the BLM ranges are open they will drive to push people to those and stop trashing federal property. Trigger trash is a huge issue statewide. The other issues are with ATV/UTV people pop up everywhere even in the middle of nowhere and it can be hard to shoot safely anymore.

I'm a AZ native and it is nothing like it used to be. This state has doubled in population since I arrived.

Reactions: kthomas and BCP
Easy to make a living in Bisbee/Patagonia...just sell crystals to rub, open a yoga shop or sell or marijuana. =}
Don't forget selling your “art” while playing your guitar on the corner.

Reactions: BCP
Your vehicle is how they will find you, not gunshots.

I prefer not to play games by pretending to be hunting when I'm not. Any cop worth his salt will instantly know your full of shit when the back of your truck is full of steel, paper targets or boxes...
I would only play that card if the sheriff was writing a ticket. Ive been here in the Phx area since 84 and I’ve never had a problem with LE while shooting in the desert. Clean up your shit, don’t be a dick and don’t drink while your shooting and you won’t have any problems even if your on State Trust land. They’ll just boot ya and be on your way. OP, you’ll have to go quite aways out to find a unobstructed shooting area nowadays. Bloody Basin up north is a good start. And forget about shooting during fire season. Good luck

Reactions: Ruff 364
I'm a AZ native and it is nothing like it used to be. This state has doubled in population since I arrived.

The hippie stuff in Bisbee is fine with me.

I'm in Prescott Valley and I hate it. They are ruining this place with these subdivisions and strip malls. Seems like there's a higher than average percentage of stupid assholes here too. Ten years ago it was a lot more happy and normal.

Reactions: Ruff 364

Clearly once the BLM ranges are open they will drive to push people to those and stop trashing federal property. Trigger trash is a huge issue statewide. The other issues are with ATV/UTV people pop up everywhere even in the middle of nowhere and it can be hard to shoot safely anymore.

I've only been in AZ for about ~3 years now, was hoping to find some good public shooting spots but most public land is just way to heavily trafficked for my comfort levels.

Hikers, bikers, ATV/UTV'ers are seemingly everywhere. I want to stretch out my .300NM, but I don't have anywhere to shoot it.

It's a shame, I feel relegated to my local shooting ranges, which are pretty lacking for us bolt gun shooters.

I know of a couple places out in the FS near Flagstaff that people can shoot plenty far enough.
One place is a somewhat popular spot to 785Y but there's a big hill behind this that we put a 21" plate on it that is 1985Y away. Pretty much anybody local hadn't even considered shooting that far away and has no idea its there because we painted it black and the hill has darker colored cinders. BTW I CB'd it with my 6.5 Saum a few months ago and out of 4 shots I hit it 3 times :D
Five minutes away from there is a place where one can set steel about as far as one could want. The main problem is getting the steel out there because there is no road. We had to hike it in last time which sucks, and spotting a miss is a crapshoot because of shrubbery.

Last edited:
Shoot suppressed only, They can’t hear ya, they can’t find ya!
Get a general hunting license from Game and Fish, if they pop you on state trust land, you were hunting jacks or coyotes which are open all year
You still hear a LR or ELR shot suppressed. Just harder to hear where it came from.