• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Arkansas Youth Weekend Boys 2 -- Deer 0

jrhammons

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2006
CenAr
Arkansas allows a youth weekend hunt for 16 yr olds and younger to hunt with a modern gun the weekend prior to opening weekend of gun season. My oldest has usually shot two every youth weekend but it was little bro's turn to go this year and they "shared" at one a piece.

Hunt details:
Rifle: Dad built 700PSS 6.8 SPC action, oversized lug, Remington youth stock, 21" Light tactical fluted 6.8 barrel, Leupold 3.5x10 VX3 fine duplex shooting Hornady 110gr VMax ballistic tips at 2645 fps

Distance: 7 yr old - 20 yards (came running byt he stand and happened to get him stopped, ran 37 yards before piling from a heart shot; 4 yr old- 82 yards DRT

My 7 yr old with his opener for the year

102_3692.jpg

His 4.5 yr old brother with his first deer

102_3701.jpg

This is how you keep a 4 yr old quiet in a deer stand

102_3698.jpg

My favorite pic of the boys

102_3703.jpg

The prize wasn't in the killing but it was when big bro shot his deer and lil bro gave him a hug and told him he loved him and he was so proud of him. And then big bro reciprocated the gesture the next day when lil bro killed his. I am truly a blessed man. No better time could be had.

Re: Arkansas Youth Weekend Boys 2 -- Deer 0

It doesn't get any better than that. Congrats to you and your sons, those memories will stay with them forever.

Hombre

That last picture will be a cherished picture! Hopefully life treats them well.

I don't have kids either and the story and the pics are enough to start working on that. AWESOME!

You should be very very proud, That is something you will all remember no mater were life takes you.

Congrats

Thanks guys. I am very proud. Proud more of their character than I am of acomplishments. They are great boys and I am very proud of them. Must take after their momma

Good job Brother....

Tell the boys and the wife I said "Hi"...

See you soon...

great job....you know your younger son is going to be way bigger than your older one right?

bench

That is awesome. I have a 3 1/2 and a 2yr old. Both boys. I'm looking forward to taking them out into the field. I was wondering how you would keep a little one quite though. Good work.

Gonna have to rig a splint to keep your head up brother. You gotta be proud! Give em a big pat on the back and a huge congrads from the Low Country.

Nice! As you know, they will have those memories for life. I still remember the first deer I shot.

Yall got any ducks down that way right now? Heard the Stutgart area was loaded up, but you know how that goes. Supposedly we had quite a few last weekend, Ive been chasing deer with the muzzleloader in TN. I guess I will find out this Saturday about the ducks in the Jonesboogie area.

Wait. Hold up. You are telling me that your 4.5 year old son made an 82 yard shot?

What the eff are you feeding him? Thats just flat out amazing. When I was 4 I could barely take a shit by myself, let alone drop a deer.

If I ever have kids, they better be born marksmen, otherwise, I'm trading them in.

Elxx

A 4 year old doesn't know he can't make the shot! He doesn't know 80 vs 200 yet! His older brother made one a 175 last year at 6.5 yrs old. A good solid rest and lots of rimfire practice with the scope turned down can make magic things happen. Lots of pellet guns and rimfire! They are great boys and I couldn't have been more blessed. Of course it helps when they are competitive as hell and have to out do each other but are each others number one fans.

Pick Pick, that backpack has coloring books, crayons, ipod, nintendo DS, writing tablet and a blanket. Its their hunt not mine. I try to keep that in mind as much as possible. They can make noise, talk, whatever and when they want to walk we walk. As you know they are very inquisitive but I just do my best to make sure they are having fun and enjoying themselves and it is a success to them on their scale. Usually they sleep the first two hours in the stand and sometimes the last two which makes it easier.

Frank,

Only ducks we are seeing right now are local ducks. There has been a lot of silence. We had a ton two weeks before season but they have moved on by opener.

Rob-

We had a lot a couple of weeks before season too, but once it opened we had nothing but scraps (mostly smilin' mallards). I went opening day and then stuck to deer hunting. Hopefully the weather will start getting bad and send some greenheads down, I dont know if I can wait! Youve got to be proud as hell of your boys, seems like they are going to be hell on the ducks and deer soon, if not all ready.

Good luck hunting,
Frank