• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Arken EP4 vs SH4 gen 2?

186thFCo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
I was wondering what the differences are between the Arken's EP4 and the SH4 gen 2. Mostly I want to why the EP4 is more expensive than the SH4 when the SH4 seems to have more features to include an illuminated reticle and more elevation range at 32 mils of elevation compared to the EP4's 28 mils.

The EP series has Japanese ED glass which has less chromatic aberration. The EP series also has 10 mil revolutions per turn of the turret as opposed to 8 mil revolution of the SH series. The gen 2 SH4 does have the new more desirable reticle in my opinion, but I have a feeling we will see the EP series with the VPR reticle soon.

If they make a gen 2 sh4 in a 3-15 or similar id buy one. But holding out. The ep4 4-16 with sh4 gen 1 or vpr reticle and illuminated would be a win also

Has anyone looked through a SH4 gen 2? Wondering what the optical quality is like, am also interested on an affordable optic for an AR. Am between this or a leupold vx freedom 4-12 30mm.

The Arken looks better on paper. And the reviews on the glass are looking good so far. The Arken is a very different scope compared to the Leupold. The Arken has 108MOA adjustment vs 76 on the Leupold. 50mm objective vs. 40mm Arken is First focal plane. Leupold is Second focal plane. Arken uses an illuminated reticle, Leupold does not. Arken has a zero stop and I don’t believe the Leupold has one.
I’ve had two Arkens. SH4 and EP4. They are well built for the money. Glass is on par for its price range. Nothing to write home about but nothing in this price range is. The glass on my Athlon Ares BTR is crisper and better in low light. But it’s also $300 more.Though I believe Cameraland has them on sale for around $600.

I’m thinking of getting either the arken sh4, ep4, or vortex diamondback tactical. All in 5-25x50 in moa as a first scope. FYI I plan on putting on top of a 20in heavy barrel howa 1500 (hgr73122). Which do you think has better quality overall?

The Arken looks better on paper. And the reviews on the glass are looking good so far. The Arken is a very different scope compared to the Leupold. The Arken has 108MOA adjustment vs 76 on the Leupold. 50mm objective vs. 40mm Arken is First focal plane. Leupold is Second focal plane. Arken uses an illuminated reticle, Leupold does not. Arken has a zero stop and I don’t believe the Leupold has one.
I’ve had two Arkens. SH4 and EP4. They are well built for the money. Glass is on par for its price range. Nothing to write home about but nothing in this price range is. The glass on my Athlon Ares BTR is crisper and better in low light. But it’s also $300 more.Though I believe Cameraland has them on sale for around $600.

I’m thinking of getting either the arken sh4, ep4, or vortex diamondback tactical. All in 5-25x50 in moa as a first scope. FYI I plan on putting on top of a 20in heavy barrel howa 1500 (hgr73122). Which do you think has better quality overall?