• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arken EPL-4 owners: question regarding the parallax knob

amstel78

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2021
NEPA
I recently acquired an EPL-4 6-24x50 scope. Noticed that the parallax knob has a ratcheting or notchy sensation when rotated throughout its entire range. You can also hear it quietly clicking rapidly as the dial is spun. It's hard to describe, but it feels (and sounds) similar to a very damped elevation or windage turret. I'm asking because I've never had a scope with a parallax adjustment knob that felt this way. I own quite a few rifle scopes ranging from stupid expensive to the budget tier, and none do this. That said, the parallax does work and from my initial quick visual tests, the IQ is pretty good for a sub-400 dollar scope.

Other EPL-4 owners - could you please let me know if yours does the same, or if there's something internally borked with my sample.

I recently acquired an EPL-4 6-24x50 scope. Noticed that the parallax knob has a ratcheting or notchy sensation when rotated throughout its entire range. You can also hear it quietly clicking rapidly as the dial is spun. It's hard to describe, but it feels (and sounds) similar to a very damped elevation or windage turret. I'm asking because I've never had a scope with a parallax adjustment knob that felt this way. I own quite a few rifle scopes ranging from stupid expensive to the budget tier, and none do this. That said, the parallax does work and from my initial quick visual tests, the IQ is pretty good for a sub-400 dollar scope.

Other EPL-4 owners - could you please let me know if yours does the same, or if there's something internally borked with my sample.
Contact Arken Optics and do a RMA for warranty return and have them send you a prepaid return shipping label so you don't have to spend any money to ship it to them under warranty.

If you'd rather get your money back under their money back guarantee, then go get your refund and buy an Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 currently on sale for $565.49 from Walmart online with free shipping and free returns.

If you bought it used and think you just got hosed on a defective scope, I'd demand a refund including shipping both ways and hopefully you used PayPal goods and services or a credit card to be able to dispute it.

The EPL4 6-24x50 has very minimal total elevation travel (only around 60MOA) and the glass isn't great. This is the reason why I suggested the Athlon Ares BTR G2 instead. It's night and day far superior in every possible way compared to the Arken and it's actually an $869.99 scope with an MSRP of $1087.49 currently on sale for $565.49.

If the Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 was on sale for $450-$460, I'd recommend it as well but unfortunately it's regular price so I don't recommend paying regular price for it nor any other Chinese made scope for that matter.

Parallax is on the left... Windage is on the right... Windage clicks, Parallax doesn't. Just making sure... 😂

Just a few weeks ago, I witnessed someone who "knows what they're doing" try to zero a scope's elevation by twisting the knob and it stayed the same elevation, but went left and right... I was spotting so I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing at the gun, but when I looked up, I saw he was twisting the windage knob, and my buddy sitting between us told him he was twisting the wrong knob... And he just said, "Ooop, my bad..." 🤦🏼 These people do exist, and they are allowed to buy guns. 😬

Is it in rings? If so take it out of the rings and see if it goes away. I had a ep5 and ep4 get a gritty parallax with 18 in lbs. backed it off to 15 in pounds and the problem went away. Sold both, sold all 5 of my arkens as a matter of fact and went back to Athlon. The tubes just seem weak, I had the same problem with the first gen viper psts years ago.