• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arken/Outlier chassis rifle build

z71rat

Gunny
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2004
Whitney, TX
I have my new complete micro rifle chassis, barrel, and scope on order. This will be a rifle build specifically for a new hunting rig.

This will be a full build comprised of all the aspects of Arken Optics, and Outlier that they currently make. I will be reporting back with pictures and details as the project progresses.

DK

Here is the list of items for the build at this time, and may possibly change and evolve as time goes on…

Savage 10FCP receiver with Accutrigger
Arken - SH4 G2 4-16 MIL
Arken - Halo low rings
Seekins - 20MOA scope rail
Outlier - Micro SA chassis
Outlier - 15” M-Lok ARCA rail
Outlier - 16oz adjustable buttstock
Outlier - SS fluted match barrel 6.5CM
SilencerCo - Harvester30 suppressor
Precision Underground - Kyptek cover
Weibad - Mini cheek pad
Ergo - Tactical grip
Atlas - BT10 bipod
MPA - Rat ARCA sliding bipod adapter
MagPul - M4 tactical QD sling
MagPul - AICS 10 round magazine

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
1627530757456.gif

The chassis is currently only being made in black for now. I am trying to get them to possibly run them in OD, and FDE as well. We will see.
I like the fde and od too but black is always good. I think the other fella is busting your ball’s about a couple of your choices. If he makes some suggestions you should probably listen because he knows this stuff. Lots of good guys here and knowledgeable shooters but this isn’t the group if you have thin skin.
I assume that you already have the action & trigger and think you’ll save a few bucks. Save the money somewhere else. First thing first. Id get a custom action a good barrel for it and good trigger. Drop it in a decent stock or chassis and buy the other stuff later. I like the defiance tenacity action but the big horn origin are a better value and they cost about $900. Then there’s the macbros.com inexpensive custom actions for $575. There’s prefit barrels available for about $400 and TriggerTech triggers are a couple hundred bucks. The extra money you plan to spend on the atlas bipod and other stuff is better spent on the action barrel and trigger.
Just my humble opinion and a couple things for you to think about.

I am an Savage shooter. My current comp rifle is a Savage as well, and it’s a damn good shooter. I have won several of the Rifle Sportsman’s Steel Challenges when I lived in Colorado , and have tried to compete in a few PRS style matches as well. The bad parts of the body (back and knees) won’t allow for it anymore, so prone matches and hunting is what I do now. I had another Savage action sitting here, so that’s what I am building on. I know there are far more Savage haters than likers, and that’s fine with me. Thin skin isn’t an issue here.

The other aspects of this rifle build, is to specifically show that you don’t have to wrap up thousands of dollars to get a good end result. This build will be more to show what the combination of Arken Optics and Outlier can do! The Crazy 8 barrel is an Outlier product. And just to let everyone in on a little secret, they are being built by Michael Degerness, the founder of Proof Reaearch. So I believe the barrel will be a shining star on this build, along with an awesome new rifle chassis, without a huge investment being made.

This whole project is based on getting the most out of the rig, without it taking the owner through the wringer!! The other parts listed, are from various other projects. So it’s to utilize what I have without throwing a bunch more cash into the mix. The cash part is in the optics, barrel, and chassis.

I think in the end, you guys are gonna be surprised with the results. At least that is the plan!! I personally am damn excited to get all these parts put into another rifle, instead of sitting here collecting dust.

DK

I am an Savage shooter. My current comp rifle is a Savage as well, and it’s a damn good shooter. I have won several of the Rifle Sportsman’s Steel Challenges when I lived in Colorado , and have tried to compete in a few PRS style matches as well. The bad parts of the body (back and knees) won’t allow for it anymore, so prone matches and hunting is what I do now. I had another Savage action sitting here, so that’s what I am building on. I know there are far more Savage haters than likers, and that’s fine with me. Thin skin isn’t an issue here.

The other aspects of this rifle build, is to specifically show that you don’t have to wrap up thousands of dollars to get a good end result. This build will be more to show what the combination of Arken Optics and Outlier can do! The Crazy 8 barrel is an Outlier product. And just to let everyone in on a little secret, they are being built by Michael Degerness, the founder of Proof Reaearch. So I believe the barrel will be a shining star on this build, along with an awesome new rifle chassis, without a huge investment being made.

This whole project is based on getting the most out of the rig, without it taking the owner through the wringer!! The other parts listed, are from various other projects. So it’s to utilize what I have without throwing a bunch more cash into the mix. The cash part is in the optics, barrel, and chassis.

I think in the end, you guys are gonna be surprised with the results. At least that is the plan!! I personally am damn excited to get all these parts put into another rifle, instead of sitting here collecting dust.

DK
I said assume because I seen a very modestly priced but capable action and trigger at the heart of your build mixed in with various accessories that aren’t as modestly priced.
I think we all like to build our version of the best budget minded rifle. One of my old go to rifles is a factory varmint barreled action, dropped in a $350 chassis, with a inexpensive Athlon scope. It’s as accurate in my hands as anything else I own. Fun project man, post some pics after you get’ er done 👍

I will be doing just that. It’ll be probably around 8ish weeks to get the chassis and scope in. We will go from there!!

DK

Reactions: jcmullis2
I will be doing just that. It’ll be probably around 8ish weeks to get the chassis and scope in. We will go from there!!

DK
Sounds good brother, it’s gonna be nice. I’m looking forward to seeing her. I hate waiting on stuff. Like I said though, we all build rifles and we all wait on parts. I’m waiting on a stock for a m40 build I’m working on and 8 weeks would be awesome. I’m waiting on someone to put one up for sale and then I’ll at least have a complete rifle. Then I’ll need the right scope for whatever stock I get because the stock determines whether it’s a m40a1, m4a3 or a5 model. A real PIA in a lot of ways but all part of it. A m40 build can be more expensive than they’re worth if a person isn’t careful. I had a few parts fall in my hands so I thought why not? Like you, I’m trying to do it on a modest budget. If I don’t find an old r700 wooden stock without the checkering or used McMillan stock I’ll be buying whatever McMillan is selling at the time.

Reactions: z71rat
The M40’s are really cool rifles. I had an FN-SPRA1 that I painted up as an M40, that turned out really cool! I ended up being tired to waiting for the right scope, and ended up just putting a Nightforce on it, as I was tired of waiting!!

I am looking forward to your pictures as well!! That’s gonna be cool!! 👍

DK

Reactions: jcmullis2
The M40’s are really cool rifles. I had an FN-SPRA1 that I painted up as an M40, that turned out really cool! I ended up being tired to waiting for the right scope, and ended up just putting a Nightforce on it, as I was tired of waiting!!

I am looking forward to your pictures as well!! That’s gonna be cool!! 👍

DK
Yeah it’s like fixing up old cars to me but better. It can be as mild as a trigger job to a full on build. Whatever the budget there’s stuff that can be done to make it better. Any asshole can buy a sub half moa rifle if he has the money. There’s no accomplishment in that. The trick is doing it with as few dollars as possible. It’s fun when you’re $800 rig is the most interesting rifle on the range. It’s like bringing moms stationwagon to the drag strip to race and winning.
later

Happy camper here! Got my email notification of my scope for this build is shipping today!! So the fun is about to begin!! 👍

DK

Good for you.
I’m not a Savage fan or supporter by any means but got a great deal on an APO .308 collaboration they did with Savage. It had extraction issues that I fixed by simply replacing the detent ball with a slightly larger size. Other than that, I’m the rate limiting factor on accuracy I think. $600. The PMII glass cost me 3x that 🤣
A364145E-524C-4B98-80FB-4FB324628949.jpeg
D4B001F4-7FC9-4C9C-A852-A9F4D70BDB28.jpeg

If this rifle was going to be anything other than a hunting rifle, I would opt out on the Accutrigger. I like the safety blade aspect of the Accutrigger and my clumsy ass fumblings around!

DK

The other aspect of this build will be how much of a budget bean counter it can be. Based on a custom chassis and custom barrel, even with that it’s gonna be a very cost effective setup!!

DK

Got the scope and rings in. I had the receiver and rail and grip already. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

DK

Also interested in how the build goes, spoke with Mike from Arken/Outlier about the chassis and optics and he has been quite helpful/responsive. I've had my SH4 gen2 6-24x50 for a few months now, quite content so far and feel like the optic has lived up to the hype.

Ive already seen their shop build of a Savage action in the Outlier chassis, it looks solid but the angle didn't show the stock assembly clearly. Once I see a 3rd party image showing a full side profile of a complete Outlier chassis rifle, I'll probably buy it.

I spoke with them and they are running everything in batches. So the Savage chassis are being done first and are scheduled around the end of the month. (I would bet after the holidays since we all know people have lives during this time), and the Savage barrels are starting with 6.5 bore are are around the same timeline. Not sure if they will do the Savage 30cal next or the Remington 6.5 barrels next though.

I ordered mine on 11/14, so I’m hoping to hear something in the next week or so if their 3-5 week lead time is accurate.
Of course this time of year there might be delays.

I ordered a 7SAUM Remage barrel on July 22nd, and still haven't heard anything...except excuses...

Well, I think with SHOT coming up, things might be a bit longer out than originally thought. Pretty anxious to get this going though.

Anyone get any of their barrels, chassis? I see 6-8 weeks has been 6-8 months so far. I ordered a tikka chassis. Glad I didn't pay up front. They have been on point with the scopes I have ordered.

I have an order for a LA Savage in que and the Outlier team was quick to respond to my email.

“We are getting close on finalizing the SA MMC's. The LA MMC's will be following shortly after. We estimate shipping of the SA MMC's to begin 2/15/2022 - 3/01/2022. We are doing everything we can to improve on those shipping dates.”

I hope this helps with questions regarding their production time and product mfg.

I am excited to see what they can accomplish and shake up the chassis market.

Reactions: rangerlong
I have an order for a LA Savage in que and the Outlier team was quick to respond to my email.

“We are getting close on finalizing the SA MMC's. The LA MMC's will be following shortly after. We estimate shipping of the SA MMC's to begin 2/15/2022 - 3/01/2022. We are doing everything we can to improve on those shipping dates.”

I hope this helps with questions regarding their production time and product mfg.

I am excited to see what they can accomplish and shake up the chassis market.

Thanks for the update.
I waited 18 weeks for a blackpoint holster, I guess I can wait 13-15 for a chassis.

Just received an invoice for my Savage LA chassis. This should be a sign that the initial batch of SA and LA chassis will be making their appearance in the market soon.

I got an email about an update to my SA order, but it still just says processing.
They said 3-5 weeks, but it’s been 21. At this point I’m tempted to just wait for the new oryx field stock.

Reactions: moosemeat
Has anyone received their barrel or chassis yet? Does anyone have any info on their barrels other than the few sentences their site?

I finally got and paid my invoice Tuesday. I got a tracking number today.

Reactions: Jason.N
The one thing I would change out is the Accutrigger for a JARD trigger. It replaces all of the stamped steel parts and the 18oz pull is really clean and crisp over the stock Savage trigger.

I actually prefer the savage target trigger over the jard. Mine is about 16oz, and I can run it as hard as I want without tripping it. Treat the blade like a 2 stage, works great. I can get it about 8 oz but you have to be gently with the bolt, works great for bench sessions though.

I too like the target Jard. It would be best if you scoured the earth for a SSS trigger, but they are hard to find and Fred seems set on not making more last time we spoke.

My Jard gets pretty light. Light enough I had to turn it up a bit. I wanna say 7.5oz roughly on mine.

My chassis showed up today. After a 5 month wait I can’t say I’m really impressed.

The bad:
I think this chassis was probably used, or at least a demo. Dust, dings, finish wear in spots, dried up thread locker in the grip screw hole.

The finish is not great either on the metal parts. You can see the black splotch on the trigger guard. That’s the worst, but there are numerous smaller spots like that.
The giant outlier logo looks cheesy.
The cheek riser and stock don’t come up quite enough, but that has alot to do with the arken scope mount being so tall.
They didn’t include a grip screw or any instructions.
Lots of set screws holding it all together, which I’m not a huge fan of.

The good:
All the rest of the hardware was included, and it went together easily. I didn’t have to do any fitting whatsoever, and the action/chassis interface is very good.
The machining work is clean.
The plastic parts are pretty nice. Damn near as good as stuff I’ve gotten from MK Machining.
The part I’m most relieved about is that I was able to cycle .223 dummy rounds through both my metal accurate mag, and my plastic mdt mag with no issues.
Mags go in, catch, release, and drop free like they should.

Perhaps subsequent production runs will have better finishes. I’ll take it out tomorrow and see if there are any issues.
My gripes are mostly cosmetic, so idk it’s worth trying to return or anything. Especially since I’m not confident in turnaround time.

If it all functions like it seems it will, I’ll cerakote it, and be happy. Would I buy another? Do I like it better than an Oryx? Jury’s still out.
If I had know about the Oryx field stock I would have waited though.

Attachments

• A9CA0B7F-B4CA-4F44-B97E-D3C50E1AC82B.jpeg
    A9CA0B7F-B4CA-4F44-B97E-D3C50E1AC82B.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 563
  • F9F11550-2DCC-4DBC-9A54-9853688CFA26.jpeg
    F9F11550-2DCC-4DBC-9A54-9853688CFA26.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 348
  • 1B832778-32B3-4FFF-BE7D-69B9307A62A1.jpeg
    1B832778-32B3-4FFF-BE7D-69B9307A62A1.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 455
  • D43FC157-28C9-4AEF-90BD-4B8DB7B65D9A.jpeg
    D43FC157-28C9-4AEF-90BD-4B8DB7B65D9A.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 653
My chassis showed up today. After a 5 month wait I can’t say I’m really impressed.

The bad:
I think this chassis was probably used, or at least a demo. Dust, dings, finish wear in spots, dried up thread locker in the grip screw hole.

The finish is not great either on the metal parts. You can see the black splotch on the trigger guard. That’s the worst, but there are numerous smaller spots like that.
The giant outlier logo looks cheesy.
The cheek riser and stock don’t come up quite enough, but that has alot to do with the arken scope mount being so tall.
They didn’t include a grip screw or any instructions.
Lots of set screws holding it all together, which I’m not a huge fan of.

The good:
All the rest of the hardware was included, and it went together easily. I didn’t have to do any fitting whatsoever, and the action/chassis interface is very good.
The machining work is clean.
The plastic parts are pretty nice. Damn near as good as stuff I’ve gotten from MK Machining.
The part I’m most relieved about is that I was able to cycle .223 dummy rounds through both my metal accurate mag, and my plastic mdt mag with no issues.
Mags go in, catch, release, and drop free like they should.

Perhaps subsequent production runs will have better finishes. I’ll take it out tomorrow and see if there are any issues.
My gripes are mostly cosmetic, so idk it’s worth trying to return or anything. Especially since I’m not confident in turnaround time.

If it all functions like it seems it will, I’ll cerakote it, and be happy. Would I buy another? Do I like it better than an Oryx? Jury’s still out.
If I had know about the Oryx field stock I would have waited though.
There’s no way in hell I’d accept a finished product in that condition, especially after waiting for months.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Well, I'm 9.5 months into my 5-8 week wait for a barrel...they did finally charge me for the barrel 3 weeks ago, and even though the invoice says they don't charge until they are ready to ship I haven't heard anything except that it would ship 'shortly'...a week ago...

I cancelled mine. I was charged 3 week ago and it just didn't sit right that it hadn't shipped.
When did you order your barrel? I ordered mine July 22nd.

I hope they haven't gone 'fly-by-night' and are just charging all outstanding orders before they disappear off the face of the earth...

Never heard of outlier until reading this thread so I took a look at their website. My question is why the hell would they make the “crazy eight” barrel contour so big that it doesn’t work with their chassis system? This just doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: rangerlong
Never heard of outlier until reading this thread so I took a look at their website. My question is why the hell would they make the “crazy eight” barrel contour so big that it doesn’t work with their chassis system? This just doesn’t make sense.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty stupid too.

I got a tracking number the day after I was charged though.