• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arken sh4 4-14 ffp problems

Crapshoot5264

Bonified poser
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2017
Southern Nevada
I picked this scope up from the exchange. I was please with the scope at first. After about 25-30 round (300wm encore pro hunter) I noticed debris on an inside lens that could only be seen on lower magnification as it was on the outer edge of the lens.
I contacted Arken and they replaced the scope.
I mounted the new scope and after less than 20 rounds the same problem occurred.
I contacted Arken again and again they replaced the scope.
Well, the second new scope arrived and right out of the box there are 2 small specks around the 2 o'clock position.
WTF over! Anyone else having this issue?
I like everything else about this "budget" optic but I'm beginning to think I should have spent a little more coin and gotten a Burris xtr.

Anyone else having this issue.

Update:
Arken has resolved this issue to my satisfaction. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twistid
I am sure all the other Arken owners from the other Arken threads will chime in that they have not experienced any problems. I would check with Arken if you can get a refund and go buy something else.

I wasn't aware that you could even get the 4-14 anymore. Did they replace it with another Gen1? Or did they upgrade you to the Gen2?

DK

Reactions: FuhQ
I think it is awesome they extended the warranty to you.
Props to Arken for that. I wouldn't expect a refund as you were not the original purchaser.
Your rifle is fairly light with a heavy recoiling cartridge. I think you are asking an awful lot from a budget scope.
Either buy a scope in the same price bracket with fewer bells and whistles or spend more on the scope.

I think it is awesome they extended the warranty to you.
Props to Arken for that. I wouldn't expect a refund as you were not the original purchaser.
Your rifle is fairly light with a heavy recoiling cartridge. I think you are asking an awful lot from a budget scope.
Either buy a scope in the same price bracket with fewer bells and whistles or spend more on the scope.
Do you work for Arken or something? Every post about them, you sing their praise. I’m not saying there is anything against that but damn….

To the OP, I’m glad they’ve been able to help you. That’s the sign of good customer service. I agree with the above and don’t expect perfection from a budget scope.

Do you work for Arken or something? Every post about them, you sing their praise. I’m not saying there is anything against that but damn….

To the OP, I’m glad they’ve been able to help you. That’s the sign of good customer service. I agree with the above and don’t expect perfection from a budget scope.
You're a fucking idiot with a massive reading comprehension problem.
All I said was good on them for honoring the warranty for someone who was not the original owner.
Then I said, the OP was asking a lot for a very budget scope.
How the fuck is that singing their praises?
Yeah, I started a thread about the new scope, because there wasn't one already and I figured folks would be interested.
The ONLY thing I have ever said is that they are full featured budget scopes.
I don't even own one dumb ass.

Last edited:
Good for them ? Sending out DOA parts assemblies...?

Good grief 🤐

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I've got about 100+ rounds of 308 through my 1st SH4 Gen ll so far with 0 issues. I was impressed to the point that I ordered another one & intent on purchasing a 3rd. Either another SH4 or the new ep 5 before the discount code dies . The arken seems as good or better than any of the sub $1k scopes I currently own in clarity and definitely much better in the brightness category.

All I said was good on them for honoring the warranty for someone who was not the original owner.
Yeah, I started a thread about the new scope, because there wasn't one already and I figured folks would be interested.

Damn buddy..... Did you forget to take your pill this morning. Relax a little.

Reactions: BCP and Secant
Both times they have been replaced with gen 1s.
Like I said, I picked up the original scope used here on the exchange.
that is a douche cs move imho as vortex and burris upgrade you when sending back and a new gen is in

wait huh? of course they should, what lifetime warranty company doesn't?

that is a douche cs move imho as vortex and burris upgrade you when sending back and a new gen is in
That was not my experience with Vortex. I had a discontinued Gen1 PST 2.5-10x32 that puked out twice. It was repaired the first time (erector) and then replaced with a new one the second time. The new one was the exact same discontinued model.

wait huh? of course they should, what lifetime warranty company doesn't?
I have seen a fair share of companies over the years, not just firearms related, that have a warranty statement stating their warranty is not transferable and only applicable to the original owner/purchaser.

That was not my experience with Vortex. I had a discontinued Gen1 PST 2.5-10x32 that puked out twice. It was repaired the first time (erector) and then replaced with a new one the second time. The new one was the exact same discontinued model.
they did with me and burris did the same even though the burris didn't really keel over vs the abuse I gave it. I'm surprised they didn't is all

I have seen a fair share of companies over the years, not just firearms related, that have a warranty statement stating their warranty is not transferable and only applicable to the original owner/purchaser.
fair enough, I do agree and stand corrected. I usually only buy Burris for optics with the sprinkling of a few others here and there but all of them are no questions asked except for the Arken.

that said, I'm pretty impressed with this optic for the price.

Same deal with Burris when I sent back a 6-24 w/target dot a few years back. Repaired- NOT replaced.

they did with me and burris did the same even though the burris didn't really keel over vs the abuse I gave it. I'm surprised they didn't is all
I suppose it would depend on the circumstances and inventory. If the company no longer has a new discontinued scope in inventory, then an upgraded/newer generation scope would be the correct course of action. Or if the customer has a repeat issue and has voiced their frustrations with the product or even requested an upgrade, then an upgrade might be the best course of action in effort to retain the customer's trust and business.

If they had the same discontinued model scope to ship out, that would have been a direct replacement. That is specifically up to the company at hand, not a douche cs move at all. Keep in mind that Arken is a small company and doing what they can to make things right.

DK

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
When I sent back my old Viper HS for repair/replace a few months back, Vortex was originally going to send me a discontinued Viper HS from one of their distributors that still had one on the shelf, had I not requested an upgrade, and had to pay $100 to get the new Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C scope they sent me back. I'm not complaining, as it was a really nice upgrade over the Viper HS, but they were not going to automatically do that, if they could still source one in stock at a distributor.

Not knocking Vortex, still love their products and still have tons of their scopes and optics. Just saying, they don't automatically do that to discontinued models, if they can still source one. If they can't, then they'll send out a comparable current production model optic.

I suppose it would depend on the circumstances and inventory. If the company no longer has a new discontinued scope in inventory, then an upgraded/newer generation scope would be the correct course of action. Or if the customer has a repeat issue and has voiced their frustrations with the product or even requested an upgrade, then an upgrade might be the best course of action in effort to retain the customer's trust and business.
reasonable on circumstances and inventory sure but like I said, my instances in this regard, both companies sent me the newer gen. Burris CS is fantastic, as is Vortex. I've not had to deal with Leupold or Nightforce but to be fair, my burrises get the brunt of the load and even then, I've only had to send one back
If they had the same discontinued model scope to ship out, that would have been a direct replacement. That is specifically up to the company at hand, not a douche cs move at all. Keep in mind that Arken is a small company and doing what they can to make things right.

DK
yup, douche move given how long the new gen has been out and especially considering it's a small company and I doubt, like a large box shop burris or vortex, they are sitting on old inventory. douche move

When I sent back my old Viper HS for repair/replace a few months back, Vortex was originally going to send me a discontinued Viper HS from one of their distributors that still had one on the shelf, had I not requested an upgrade, and had to pay $100 to get the new Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C scope they sent me back. I'm not complaining, as it was a really nice upgrade over the Viper HS, but they were not going to automatically do that, if they could still source one in stock at a distributor.

Not knocking Vortex, still love their products and still have tons of their scopes and optics. Just saying, they don't automatically do that to discontinued models, if they can still source one. If they can't, then they'll send out a comparable current production model optic.
I've had 2 interactions with Vortex cs on scopes and both accounts were great. Definitely a company I want to do business with however, dollar for dollar, nothing beats the Burris line up imho so I stick to those predominantly.

I put this Arken on a 308 fun gun so it will get shot a lot, will get pushed around, dropped, etc as I simply do not baby guns I 'throw' together. Currently only at about 800 rounds after yesterday's range trip but it's holding zero, tracking nicely and exceeding my expectations. I have to admit, I really do like this scope. I did talk to them and ask them if they were going to do a lpvo or 2-10 and they indicated late spring or early summer. I will try another for sure provided this one doesn't fall apart :)

Reactions: FuhQ
reasonable on circumstances and inventory sure but like I said, my instances in this regard, both companies sent me the newer gen. Burris CS is fantastic, as is Vortex. I've not had to deal with Leupold or Nightforce but to be fair, my burrises get the brunt of the load and even then, I've only had to send one back

yup, douche move given how long the new gen has been out and especially considering it's a small company and I doubt, like a large box shop burris or vortex, they are sitting on old inventory. douche move
I could be wrong, but I think the gen2 SH4 models have only been out for 1 year. If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me.

I could be wrong, but I think the gen2 SH4 models have only been out for 1 year. If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me.
about that but op picked up scope on EE, do we know if it's in the past year where the new gen was out? Have to assume it's recent given the timing of the post no? You think Arken is sitting on gen 1 models for a year while selling gen 2? If they are, that's not a good sales team nor inventory management and that would further reinforce my view of a douche move. I doubt they are holding inventory for warranty returns.

I'm out, watching the isu/clemson game hoping clemson get's beat. ACC and SEC looking real bad this bowl season which of course, is a good thing! lol

That is correct. The Gen2 models have only been out for 1 year, to the best of my knowledge.

DK

You think Arken is sitting on gen 1 models for a year while selling gen 2? If they are, that's not a good sales team nor inventory management and that would further reinforce my view of a douche move. I doubt they are holding inventory for warranty returns.
What were they supposed to do with their Gen1 inventory when they released the Gen2 models, throw them all away? Of course, they're going to have some leftover inventory of Gen1 scopes, they're a small company after all, they aren't Walmart. Having worked in customer service/retail/inventory management/warranty for over 20 years, I find your statement overly critical of a small business and clearly illustrates your general lack of knowledge in business management.

What were they supposed to do with their Gen1 inventory when they released the Gen2 models, throw them all away? Of course, they're going to have some leftover inventory of Gen1 scopes, they're a small company after all, they aren't Walmart. Having worked in customer service/retail/inventory management/warranty for over 20 years, I find your statement overly critical of a small business and clearly illustrates your general lack of knowledge in business management.
it's a year, of course they should have sold them by now. You do understand how businesses operate don't you? It makes zero sense to sit on an older gen anything for any period of time, much less a longer duration of more than 6mos as the value deteriorates faster over time. Hell, every year we see better products so current gen loses value over a year. I honestly can't believe your response here, wtf are we in middle school business class here? c'mon, have to believe you are smarter than this. No company, regardless of size sits on older products, in an ever evolving mktplace, much less for a year to the tune of having enough for warranty replacements. Ask yourself, what would you pay for a gen 1 model vs gen 2 12mos out not withstanding other options?

typically a company will dramatically reduce the price of current line prior to releasing a new model. Sitting on inventory is beyond poor business practices and I'm being nice there. Young, small, inexperienced, naive, doesn't matter, it's bad business. Now a small company needs to move product for cashflow and that is basic. Metcalf's law applies hell, in the Arken thread I counted 11 people new to the company products that ordered off that thread alone. As for your last comment on general lack of knowledge, buddy I forgot more than you ever read or think you know on business management. Aside from helping my father run his business with 6 locations and 9 franchises, I also was an adjunct professor at a top 30 business school teaching finance in the mba program after I left my wall street gig. lol your retort demonstrates stupidity and ignorance on business practices and having worked in warranty and customer for 20yrs, I'm left wonder if you were the operator on the end of the phone that is clueless. Take a seat and let the adults talk here.

As for customer service, nothing moves a small company products, not withstanding a game-changing or innovative product, more than price and cs (there is that metcalfs law again). Offering a gen 1 model 12 mos after the gen 2 reached market and has been sold and sold at deep discounts of late is $hitty. All they did there was 'unload' a product they couldn't sell and took the taxable approach to inventory loss. OP should have said I want a newer gen or what can they do on price differential and yes, any company that offers a lifetime warranty should do so regardless of original owner or not as warranty allocations are already embedded in the pricing for future costs.

retarded comes to mind, naive, ignorance, too but retarded to think this is ok or to provide excuses for product that is already bought and has most assuredly been written down by the company accountant.

carry on, this is becoming too arfcom like with the stupidity citing a background in cs. I'll gracefully move on, my point is well know and glad the OP is happy. I like the company, emailed back and forth on some questions when ordering and added to my already placed order that they held until I figured out what mount. Nice scope, seems to punch above it's waistline and loaded with options. Glass is good, not great but at the price, provided it holds up, it's a good buy so I'm happy thus far.

good luck!

it's a year, of course they should have sold them by now. You do understand how businesses operate don't you? It makes zero sense to sit on an older gen anything for any period of time, much less a longer duration of more than 6mos as the value deteriorates faster over time. Hell, every year we see better products so current gen loses value over a year. I honestly can't believe your response here, wtf are we in middle school business class here? c'mon, have to believe you are smarter than this. No company, regardless of size sits on older products, in an ever evolving mktplace, much less for a year to the tune of having enough for warranty replacements. Ask yourself, what would you pay for a gen 1 model vs gen 2 12mos out not withstanding other options?

typically a company will dramatically reduce the price of current line prior to releasing a new model. Sitting on inventory is beyond poor business practices and I'm being nice there. Young, small, inexperienced, naive, doesn't matter, it's bad business. Now a small company needs to move product for cashflow and that is basic. Metcalf's law applies hell, in the Arken thread I counted 11 people new to the company products that ordered off that thread alone. As for your last comment on general lack of knowledge, buddy I forgot more than you ever read or think you know on business management. Aside from helping my father run his business with 6 locations and 9 franchises, I also was an adjunct professor at a top 30 business school teaching finance in the mba program after I left my wall street gig. lol your retort demonstrates stupidity and ignorance on business practices and having worked in warranty and customer for 20yrs, I'm left wonder if you were the operator on the end of the phone that is clueless. Take a seat and let the adults talk here.

As for customer service, nothing moves a small company products, not withstanding a game-changing or innovative product, more than price and cs (there is that metcalfs law again). Offering a gen 1 model 12 mos after the gen 2 reached market and has been sold and sold at deep discounts of late is $hitty. All they did there was 'unload' a product they couldn't sell and took the taxable approach to inventory loss. OP should have said I want a newer gen or what can they do on price differential and yes, any company that offers a lifetime warranty should do so regardless of original owner or not as warranty allocations are already embedded in the pricing for future costs.

retarded comes to mind, naive, ignorance, too but retarded to think this is ok or to provide excuses for product that is already bought and has most assuredly been written down by the company accountant.

carry on, this is becoming too arfcom like with the stupidity citing a background in cs. I'll gracefully move on, my point is well know and glad the OP is happy. I like the company, emailed back and forth on some questions when ordering and added to my already placed order that they held until I figured out what mount. Nice scope, seems to punch above it's waistline and loaded with options. Glass is good, not great but at the price, provided it holds up, it's a good buy so I'm happy thus far.

good luck!
I am not going to exchange insults with you, that is one of the things I strongly dislike about online forums in general and I admit to contributing at times. Thank you for the insight into your background and experience with business management. I apologize for insulting your intelligence, it was immature of me and something I'm trying to be better about in general. I won't get into specific details about my background, because I don't think anyone actually cares and it has nothing to do with the conversation, but I will say that it's been all Automotive & Heavy Trucks, most definitely not a phone operator.

Back to the conversation, has the OP been in contact with Arken to discuss the issue of receiving defective scopes and the possibility of upgrading? And if so, what has their response been to the issue?

Reactions: Poorboyr
Three back to back failures.

But hey, atleast they have nice customer service and will keep replacing them?

Three back to back failures.

But hey, atleast they have nice customer service and will keep replacing them?
I have a friend of mine that went through exactly the same instances with his Vortex. He ultimately got his money back, and moved on to another scope manufacturer. So it happens out there in the optics world, far more times than you might realize.

DK

I have a friend of mine that went through exactly the same instances with his Vortex. He ultimately got his money back, and moved on to another scope manufacturer. So it happens out there in the optics world, far more times than you might realize.

DK
You mean to tell me Chinese scopes are all generally trash, regardless of whoever puts their name on them?

Wow, I never realized that before.

If it makes people all warm and fuzzy inside...I had back to back to back to back ACOGs with either brass shavings or uncleaned prisms all inside the optic that somehow passed QC...then I had two Steiner M5XIs that had dirt specks (bad)...then a PMII with a grease blob at the 9 o'clock position...then I had a Bushnell LRTS with a bad canted reticle...then I had a NF NXS that didn't have proper parallax set...then a Vortex UH1 Gen 2 with a chip in the glass right out of the box (I was one of the first ones to get one when released)... it happens to all...aftersale CS is what matters...every company that I have mentioned above serviced the optics without a hiccup...I am glad Arken CS is not telling the OP to pound sand...and that is great news...

That said...the 4-14 Arkens are essentially a PA 4-14 with a better turret design...they aren't cream of the crop...

Thoroughly been enjoying the 4-16 SH4 Gen 2!

Last edited:
You mean to tell me Chinese scopes are all generally trash, regardless of whoever puts their name on them?

Wow, I never realized that before.
I remember a thread on this very site in regards to a US Optics scope, when they were owned by the original family and assembled made to order scopes.
There was a lengthy discussion in regards to debris on the lens.
There have also been threads in regards to debris in S&B's.
Doesn't mean the scope doesn't work.

If it makes people all warm and fuzzy inside...I had back to back to back to back ACOGs with either brass shavings or uncleaned prisms all inside the optic that somehow passed QC...then I had two Steiner M5XIs that had dirt specks (bad)...then a PMII with a grease blob at the 9 o'clock position...then I had a Bushnell LRTS with a bad canted reticle...then I had a NF NXS that didn't have proper parallax set...then a Vortex UH1 Gen 2 with a chip in the glass right out of the box (I was one of the first ones to get one when released) it happens to all...aftersale CS is what matters...every company that I have mentioned above serviced the optics without a hiccup...I am glad Arken CS is not telling the OP to pound sand...and that is great news...

That said...the 4-14 Arkens are essentially a PA 4-14 with a better turret design...they aren't cream of the crop...

Thoroughly been enjoying the 4-16 SH4 Gen 2!
Fuckn show off! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ and thehun
Just the truth...and if I am being honest...I've had to return more high end optics back for service than affordable optics...but all have had excellent CS anyway...

When I spend for premium optics...I expect premium quality control...sadly...out of the box QC has fallen within most Japanese made optics, Trijicon (which to me has suffered the most in QC), Steiner and Vortex the last few years for me...I felt like MAC with his Sig Sauer QC luck...

Heck...Meopta had an elevation turret installed on the windage side...but hey...it passed multiple QC check lists...

You know what brand has yet to fail me...Holosun and Primary Arms...

I remember a thread on this very site in regards to a US Optics scope, when they were owned by the original family and assembled made to order scopes.
There was a lengthy discussion in regards to debris on the lens.
There have also been threads in regards to debris in S&B's.
Doesn't mean the scope doesn't work.
6 of the worst scopes I've ever looked through were all S&B PM-II's from the same batch. I was shocked at how bad they were. People call BS on that, but I know what my eyes saw, and what the people around me who also looked through all 6 of them saw...Including the store manager, that I've known for years prior to that. Still wish I had taken pics to prove it.

Just the truth...and if I am being honest...I've had to return more high end optics back for service than affordable optics...but all have had excellent CS anyway...

When I spend for premium optics...I expect premium quality control...sadly...out of the box QC has fallen within most Japanese made optics, Trijicon (which to me has suffered the most in QC), Steiner and Vortex the last few years for me...I felt like MAC with his Sig Sauer QC luck...

Heck...Meopta had an elevation turret installed on the windage side...but hey...it passed multiple QC check lists...

You know what brand has yet to fail me...Holosun and Primary Arms...
That was another brand everyone used to hate on, was Holosun... Remember "Cheap Chinese RMR-knockoff junk!" I heard that a bunch. Now everyone loves and accepts them as a legit optics brand. My how the times quickly change. 👍🏼

I love my Holosun HS507C-X2 that I bought a few years ago, and run on my 7.5" 5.56 AR pistol on an ADM QD mount. The auto shutoff, 50K hour battery life, and shake-to-wake feature is absolutely amazing! Sure beats my old EOTech 512 that I bought back in 2009. It's burnt-up more AA batteries and corroded more than anything else I've ever owned. But a little alcohol on QTip and it cleans it up fine, and keeps on ticking. Still run it on my old LWRC M6A1 that I bought at the same time. Some combos are just classic, and will always stay in-tact. 😏