• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Arken SH4 4-16x (surprised)

HorribleAim

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2019
Ohio
I reluctantly bought an Arken SH4 4-16x (https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/onli...d-Reticle-with-Zero-Stop-34mm-Tube-p262200363) a few weeks back for $400. I use the word "reluctantly" because I rarely cheap out on optics or buy anything Chinese, regardless of price. After some testing and comparing, I gotta say, I'm impressed.

For context, I'm comparing this to a handful of various Trijicon (Credo, ACOG) and Vortex (Razor, Viper PST Gen II) optics, along with "go-to" budget options like the SWFA fixed powers (10x standard model, 12x standard model, and a 10x HD model). I'm no expert of course but my conclusion is that this is currently the best sub-$500 optic on the market.

Pros: The scope itself feels durable and well-made. The turrets are better than any of the scopes above in terms of general feel and audibility. The reticle is solid and resembles the EBR reticle on the Viper PST Gen II, the only downside being a limited area of illumination. The glass itself is slightly better than the PST Gen II but certainly not Razor quality. FFP and zero stop are both nice.
Cons: You need a throw lever; adjusting magnification can be a pain. Most importantly, it's made in China. There is certainly a changing dynamic with optics coming from there (practically every entry- and mid-tier manufacturer these days has offerings made in China) and I do sense that the quality gap is shrinking, but it's still made in China.

Curious if anyone else has bought one of these lately or what your experiences have been. I'm considering swapping out my old SWFAs for a few.

Im close to buying one. How long did it take you to get yours? Also do you think its too chunky for an AR, could you post some pics please?

Last edited:
7 days from purchase to delivery but I got one of the 4-16s they had in stock. Still a backorder for the others.

I'll post some pics later, just getting back from the range. It's about the same size as a Gen II Razor, too bulky and heavy for an AR. Maybe a matter of personal preference.

Tracking was excellent, although I did pick up on some CA against a white target at distance compared to my other optics. The parallax worked well but seemed to require more dialing than other scopes, where you can still "get by" without it matching distance perfectly. The turret quality made up for this at the price point IMO.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Arken Optics has caught on with a huge demand for their Gen2 series of scope. Honestly the best bang for the buck out there IMHO!!

I am running their EP4 4-16 currently, but I have their 4-16 and 6-24 SH4 Gen2 scopes on order. Great scope, great company!!

DK

I just spent 2 weeks with my buddy’s recent production Razor 4.5-27x56 MRAD, directly comparing it to my Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 that I got for $400 a few months back (when they were impossible to track down)...

I had got the Arken only as a “placeholder” while I decided on what “real” $1-2k+ scope I was going to get.

I’ve spent a pretty good amount of time now looking through different alpha-tier scopes trying to decide what to get, with most of my time behind a Tangent Theta and Kahles (besides the Razor). And I have not seen anything to justify the price of any of those scopes vs the Arken, if they were a couple hundred more than the Arken then maybe, but thousands more with the Arken on the scene, no f’ing way.

It weirded me out enough that I even went to my optometrist to see if my eyes were messed up or if I needed my Rx updated (I wear 24/7 contacts): nope.

Directly compared to the Razor, both on full magnification, Razor is slightly better, slightly... but, on 16-18x (how I usually run my scopes) they’re equal and I can’t tell a difference. Either can anyone else who’s looked through both back to back.

A guy I see at my range sometimes who runs a Tangent actually said I shouldn’t let guys with TT’s or other pricey glass look through the Arken, because it’ll just piss them off!

I really think a lot of guys in the sport haven’t even really realized how much has changed when it comes to budget glass.

Crazy.

I have been running an EP4 4-16 for some time now, and just recently received my SH4 4-16 Gen2. Yeah, it’s a no brainer to me to save the coin and go with either the EP4 or the SH4. I am really impressed with my new SH4 though!!

DK

For me, I kind of find myself in a strange quandary due to how close the Arken's glass is to the top tier stuff...

I mean, the nicer stuff is a little nicer, but it's close enough to where it's difficult to quantify just how much nicer? Like 1-2% nicer... maybe 5% nicer..?

I know it isn't 10% nicer, at least against a Razor after running them back to back for a little while. Not to my eyes. If it were that much it'd be significant enough to be more noticeable and it just wasn't/isn't. With my particular scope the glass is neck-and-neck with the Razor's up until about 18x, and then I actually like the Arken's turrets and reticle better than the Razor's... I just can't rationalize spending ~$1500 more for maybe only a ~5% improvement in glass. The cost-benefit analysis only gets worse the more expensive the competing scopes get IMO.

To me, when you get right down to it, it's not even about the glass really, it's all the other stuff: before the Arken's hit, you just didn't get a 34mm tube, awesome turrets, and solid tracking until you got up into the premium scope level price-range. Of course the glass quality matters, but it's the whole package really.

It's weird, good scope = expensive has just been "the way it is" for so long that we're all sort of desensitized to it (at least I was)... but now, I just don't know why anyone would want to spend thousands on a scope in 2021.

Last edited:
I just picked up the SH4 Gen 2 a few weeks ago as well. I haven’t shot it yet but it looks like an incredible value

I know it isn't 10% nicer, at least against a Razor after running them back to back for a little while. Not to my eyes. If it were that much it'd be significant enough to be more noticeable and it just wasn't/isn't. With my particular scope the glass is neck-and-neck with the Razor's up until about 18x, and then I actually like the Arken's turrets and reticle better than the Razor's... I just can't rationalize spending ~$1500 more for maybe only a ~5% improvement in glass. The cost-benefit analysis only gets worse the more expensive the competing scopes get IMO.

I'm in the same boat and was in the market for a top-tier scope until yesterday. Previously I had been comparing the Arken against mid-tier optics (it beats many of them flat out). Had the chance to get behind an ATACR and TT at the range yesterday. There's no doubt both were superior, but $2000-3000+ superior? I just didn't see it.

Turrets, tracking, and 34mm tube, all stacked right up with both. Product to product, the only difference worthy of a cost increase that I could see was magnification beyond 14-16x. I rarely shoot beyond that anyway. What you do get with NF/TT/SB/etc. is quality control -- but again, worth the price increase?

I'll probably buy a Tract Toric for my best rifle (phenomenal scope) and add Arkens to the rest. I can't really justify a $3500 spend when my Arken did so well against the big dogs.

I'm in the same boat and was in the market for a top-tier scope until yesterday. Previously I had been comparing the Arken against mid-tier optics (it beats many of them flat out). Had the chance to get behind an ATACR and TT at the range yesterday. There's no doubt both were superior, but $2000-3000+ superior? I just didn't see it.

Turrets, tracking, and 34mm tube, all stacked right up with both. Product to product, the only difference worthy of a cost increase that I could see was magnification beyond 14-16x. I rarely shoot beyond that anyway. What you do get with NF/TT/SB/etc. is quality control -- but again, worth the price increase?

I'll probably buy a Tract Toric for my best rifle (phenomenal scope) and add Arkens to the rest. I can't really justify a $3500 spend when my Arken did so well against the big dogs.

Yeah, the top tier stuff is nicer, just these days, not a whole lot nicer, not thousands nicer anyways.

Mine stays clear and useable all the way up to 24x, it's just that once I pass 18x, it seems like chromatic aberration comes on fast and seems to roll in with the extra magnification. It's not like the image goes to total shit, but the reds, yellows, and greens start to separate and things get all 70's groovy. It's honestly not a big deal to me though, because I don't spend much time at 24x, and even when I do I guess I'm kind of used to it, so it doesn't bother me at all. I don't even notice it unless I'm looking for it.

If someone asked me: what would improve a shooter more? a $3500 scope, or an Arken and an extra 1000+ rounds downrange? I know which one I'd pick every time.

A topic for another time would be: what does this mean for the optics game? I mean I know a couple guys who own pricey scopes who are fine with a $400 scope kicking ass, but, I also know a couple guys who are a little butt-hurt about it and aren't ready to admit that their fancy scopes aren't what they once were anymore... there's honestly a little budget-scope-denial going on.

Pragmatically though, it makes total sense, progress marches forward. There are a million items that were once expensive and difficult to produce that have now become affordable and commonplace. I mean, if you had a cell phone in 1981 you were a baller... now you're everyone.

Last edited:
I wonder how well those $400 scopes track compared to the $1500+ scopes.

Oh wait, subjective descriptions of "glass" is all that matters.

Carry on

Mine tracked perfectly to 10 mils on my buddy's test rig (that's as tall as it went). But, in my "real world testing", it seems to be ok to at least ~11:

tempImage3wfr2T.pngtempImageo3tkG1.png

Last edited:
I wonder how well those $400 scopes track compared to the $1500+ scopes.

Oh wait, subjective descriptions of "glass" is all that matters.

Carry on

Lots of tracking tests out there on YouTube.

You can buy SWFA fixed powers for $300 with excellent tracking and great reputations. Not impossible at the price.

Last edited:
Arken Optics carry a tracking guarantee with them. I absolutely love mine!!

Attachments

• 4F961689-F3FF-4C32-AE97-0D771801A491.jpeg
    4F961689-F3FF-4C32-AE97-0D771801A491.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 974
Why does this scope company have an aversion to 10mil per turn turrets? I mean the owner spec’d out this scope and that Chinese manufacturer made it. Why the 8 Mil turret?

Why does this scope company have an aversion to 10mil per turn turrets? I mean the owner spec’d out this scope and that Chinese manufacturer made it. Why the 8 Mil turret?

I think if you ever play with one it'll be immediately obvious: the turret feel is just crazy, it goes thud-thud-thud, not tick-tick-tick, the turret feel is as good or better than a TT's (no BS). I think the generous spacing of the clicks has a lot to do with it.

So for rimfire guys it might mean a few more turns, but it feels cool, and you also get more total elevation with the Arken (32mils) than a Kahles k525i (29mils) and/or a Razor HDG2 3.5-27 (28.5mils), so there's that.

IMHO, for a centerfire it's a non-issue, depending on what you shoot, 2-3 twists will get most of us out to a mile, I don't need to go past one rev to reach 1000yrds running a "slow" 6creed. The .22's are toys, so with them, who cares.

Last edited:
But what does that have to do with 8 vs 10 Mil turrets? It’s a 34 mm scope. There is plenty of room to make 10 Mil turrets that feel good.

IDK, think you'd have to ask them, there must be some reason I guess? I remember reading somewhere that many of the decisions made regarding Arken's scope designs were driven by weighing how to achieve a certain level of durability, taking into account what the contracted Chinese factories could deliver reliably.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the usual progression of: less complicated > easier > cheaper > repeatable - or something like that...

I think if you ever play with one it'll be immediately obvious: the turret feel is just crazy, it goes thud-thud-thud, not tick-tick-tick, the turret feel is as good or better than a TT's (no BS). I think the generous spacing of the clicks has a lot to do with it.

So for rimfire guys it might mean a few more turns, but it feels cool, and you also get more total elevation with the Arken (32mils) than a Kahles k525i (29mils) and/or a Razor HDG2 3.5-27 (28.5mils), so there's that.

IMHO, for a centerfire it's a non-issue, depending on what you shoot, 2-3 twists will get most of us out to a mile, I don't need to go past one rev to reach 1000yrds running a "slow" 6creed. The .22's are toys, so with them, who cares.
Even for rimfire, 8 mil turrets isn't really isn't a huge deal. I have a 6-24 SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 on one of mine. At 100 yards you're at 1.8ish mils, 200 yards about 7.5 mils, 300 yards 13-14. Actually almost instinctual, 1/4, full turn, turn and a half.

Reactions: CK1.0
Anyone know what butler creek cap fit the SH4 4-16?

My dad's 6-24 arrived. Great scope with one exception, couldn't get the battery compartment to budge no matter what, that thing must have been welded on there.

if there is one fault with the scopes it would be the illumination. It is very small and not very bright even on the highest settings. I am not a big fan of illumination to begin with it but this one is invisible in daylight, and the battery compartment was extremely tight on both of mine as well.

I have had an EP 6-24 for a year on my Tikka T1 22 Lr great scope ,received the 4-16 SH4 2 weeks ago not mounted yet but it’s another nice scope adjustments are smooth good glass yep it’s a china made but nothing compares for 400.00

Reactions: z71rat
I have a 4-16 EP4 and it has been great. Tracks well and so far has survived on everything I could bolt it to including my 21 pound 50 BMG. The eye box is what is amazing about these scopes.

I will say that when I first got my Arken I compared it to my Steiner M7 and immediately felt like I had been duped for spending what I did on the Steiner. Not saying Steiner isn't better but the clarity between them definitely cheapens the Steiner.

I will say that when I first got my Arken I compared it to my Steiner M7 and immediately felt like I had been duped for spending what I did on the Steiner. Not saying Steiner isn't better but the clarity between them definitely cheapens the Steiner.

^^^ that's kinda it right there. I had a similar feeling... sort of a "why the hell are some of these other scopes so much more money?" kind of thing...

Just a theory, but I just chalk it up to things getting cheaper over time as the manufacturing world figures things out and pushes the production costs down. Just took a while for them to figure out optics it seems.

It's not just scopes either: Binos with BAK-4 roof prisms were ~$500-1000+ not too long ago... now you can get a pair for like $20 off Amazon.

How does the Arken stack up against Vortex Strike Eagle FFP 5-25? I really like the strike eagle but have never handled the Arken

Look to be the same shitty caps that Vortex offers. They fit nice at first, then they stretch and aren't worth a damn.
Have you actually held them or fitted them? Same as the Defenders? Look similar but actual own both , not the same. These or the Defenders are far better than BCs.

Is the EP4 worth the extra money?

Is the EP4 worth the extra money?
The EP4 is a winner for me mostly because of the reticle. I love the "BDC" they use in the EP-4. I have not used anything other than their EP4 models. I also had a 6-24 but it wasn't as impressive as the 4-16 so I sold it.

The 6-25 EP4 is priced about where it should be. Nothing amazing, just a good scope priced fairly.

The 4-16 EP4 feels more expensive when you take everything in. The glass is great, the clicks are great, it tracks well and so far it seems durable. The eye box of the 4-16 is nothing short of amazing, best looking eye box I have ever used. Literally edge to edge clarity with zero shadow around the image.
1625838964354.png

The only downside to them is the hard magnification ring. I tried running it up and down a few hundred times and it did not help. I saturated the area with oil to trying to lubricate it and it did not help. In the end I bought a lever and it helps but it is still not a one finger adjustment.

BTW, if anyone wants to sell their 4-16 EP4 with that reticle everyone seems to hate, I'm buying.

The Arken is head and shoulders above a strike eagle Vortex has some good glass but not in the strike eagle I looked at a couple models a week ago very disappointing I need another decent scope so I ordered and will wait on the Arken

The EP4 is a winner for me mostly because of the reticle. I love the "BDC" they use in the EP-4. I have not used anything other than their EP4 models. I also had a 6-24 but it wasn't as impressive as the 4-16 so I sold it.

The 6-25 EP4 is priced about where it should be. Nothing amazing, just a good scope priced fairly.

The 4-16 EP4 feels more expensive when you take everything in. The glass is great, the clicks are great, it tracks well and so far it seems durable. The eye box of the 4-16 is nothing short of amazing, best looking eye box I have ever used. Literally edge to edge clarity with zero shadow around the image.
View attachment 7664639

The only downside to them is the hard magnification ring. I tried running it up and down a few hundred times and it did not help. I saturated the area with oil to trying to lubricate it and it did not help. In the end I bought a lever and it helps but it is still not a one finger adjustment.

BTW, if anyone wants to sell their 4-16 EP4 with that reticle everyone seems to hate, I'm buying.
can you post some pics from the side of that gun? I want to see how it sits on an AR.

I ordered an SH-4 6-24 a few days ago - apparently Arken has a large shipment inbound, so the wait-time is now down to 0-1 week.

I’m super impressed with this Arken SH4 Gen. 2 also so much I’m buying anotherone for my other rifle I was In between vortex viper pst and I’m glad I went with the Arken I actuall like it a lot better than my gen 1 viper pst. I also love the reticle and how only the cross hairs illuminate and not the whole Xmas tree like the pst. My son likes it a lot also.

Attachments

• A3125ECC-1FD6-40E0-838C-4396BB9FAF04.jpeg
    A3125ECC-1FD6-40E0-838C-4396BB9FAF04.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 232
  • 1EC205F9-7B2D-41F4-B344-DF0EDAF36062.jpeg
    1EC205F9-7B2D-41F4-B344-DF0EDAF36062.jpeg
    781.9 KB · Views: 232
Reactions: Christoph
Im close to buying one. How long did it take you to get yours? Also do you think its too chunky for an AR, could you post some pics please?
Here it is on my AR-10 (with sunshade) and also on my AR-15... both are 18" barrels. It's hefty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230405_173041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230405_173041_Gallery.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230327_151043.jpg
    20230327_151043.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 81
HI Guys:

Ok, I am primarily a position shooter and was happy with my Leupold 6.5x20x40 which is the gold standard for my competition. Now that I am on the high side of 60, it is getting difficult to see the black recticle of the Leupold against the black bull of the target during competitions.

With that being said, I started researching possible replacements with illuminated recticles to help me see my crosshairs. My main competition rifle is a Anschutz 2313 and since I compete a couple times a week, cost was not a issues.

Let me tell you that I looked through a lot of scopes, tried a few from NYcameraland, and sent them back for one reason or another. I was worried that a acceptable scope with a illuminated recticle that focuses down to 50 foot was simply not available.

After reading about the Arken scope here and also on other shooting sites, I decided to take a chance on the Arken SH4 for $400.00. Was not expecting much for $400.00 and I have a number of other rifles that need quality scopes so I ordered it sometime before Christmas.

Unfortunately, it did not get delivered until the begining of March, Arken was receptive of my inquiries as to where it is at, originally stating that I should have it the begining of February, and then after Feb 14th, adding another 6 to 8 weeks to the delivery time. Granted, it was out of stock when I ordered it but online it stated that they anticipated it back in stock in two weeks.

Anyways, I am very happy with it. I compete with my rifle at 50 foot, 25 yards, 50 yards, 50 meters, 100 yards, and 100 meters and also frequently in very long range rimfire out to 300 yards although that is pushing the envelope of the 22 LR cartridge. In over one month of use, I have adjusted it repeatedly to the various settings required for the different ranges and the tracking is solid.

I was concerned that it might be a little bit heavy compared to my Leupold but really not noticeable. I was also concerned that the 44 mm objective might be overwhelming for the rifle but that is simply not a issue.

All in all, I cannot fathom a different rifle scope I would want for my competitions.

Regards,
Crankster