• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arken vs Riton vs Something else

Mongoose67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado
I'm looking for a 6-24x50 scope and there seems to be some great deals right now on Riton and Arken. I can get the Riton Conquer X3 for $349 or the Arken SH4 Gen2 for $299. I've watched the online reviews but would like some real life experience. I'm leaning towards the Arken. I currently own Leupold VX-3i's, Bushnell DMR II and Forge, and Burris. I use the Leupy's for hunting and the others at the range. Of these two which has better glass and fewer concerns? Is there another one I should be considering in this value range? Thanks.

Arken is great for the money IMO. Haven’t used a Helix though so can’t comment on that. Arken is easy and quick to deal with CS and pay return shipping if need be!

I'm looking for a 6-24x50 scope and there seems to be some great deals right now on Riton and Arken. I can get the Riton Conquer X3 for $349 or the Arken SH4 Gen2 for $299. I've watched the online reviews but would like some real life experience. I'm leaning towards the Arken. I currently own Leupold VX-3i's, Bushnell DMR II and Forge, and Burris. I use the Leupy's for hunting and the others at the range. Of these two which has better glass and fewer concerns? Is there another one I should be considering in this value range? Thanks.
What sort of rifle is it going on, hows it going to be used and how important to you is the overall performance and reliability of that platform?

I ask because you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel at that price point…

Reactions: Mongoose67
I have and used the SH4 GenII 5-24x50 - Here are my pros and cons:

1. Eyebox sucks at higher magnification
2. Optical clarity suffers past 400 yds
3. Parallax adjustment doesn't match yardage on the dial
4. CA was bad on the edge of white targets - got more noticeable with magnification

Pros:

1. Tracking was great
2. I liked the Turrets alot
3. heavy and built like a tank
4. Hard to beat at the current price range. If you don't need to shoot past 400 yds.

I can't speak to the other 2 you listed, I still have one on my M1A and the other was given box detail since it was replaced with a Burris XTRIIIi on my NRL22 rifle. I will most likely stick it on the 10/22 and get rid of Nikon 22 Rimfire MOA BDC shit.

Hope this helps.

I have an sh4 G2 6-24 on my 6.5 target rifle.
The mechanicals on it are excellent, and the glass is better than average for the price range.

Reactions: z71rat
I think the SH5 has noticeably better optics. Eyebox is still tight at 20x+ and the CA still exists. Turrets are very clicky and it tracks well. But both the SH4/5 are very big and heavy scopes...no problem if that is not a concern.

Reactions: z71rat and db2000
What sort of rifle is it going on, hows it going to be used and how important to you is the overall performance and reliability of that platform?

I ask because you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel at that price point…
A couple of things. I have a DMRII on my 6.5 Tikka Creedmor and need a lot more trigger time for practice so I thought I would put this on my HOWA M1100 22LR. I also want to see if I would be interested in PRS before dropping more $.

I have and used the SH4 GenII 5-24x50 - Here are my pros and cons:

1. Eyebox sucks at higher magnification
2. Optical clarity suffers past 400 yds
3. Parallax adjustment doesn't match yardage on the dial
4. CA was bad on the edge of white targets - got more noticeable with magnification

Pros:

1. Tracking was great
2. I liked the Turrets alot
3. heavy and built like a tank
4. Hard to beat at the current price range. If you don't need to shoot past 400 yds.

I can't speak to the other 2 you listed, I still have one on my M1A and the other was given box detail since it was replaced with a Burris XTRIIIi on my NRL22 rifle. I will most likely stick it on the 10/22 and get rid of Nikon 22 Rimfire MOA BDC shit.

Hope this helps.
What rifle are you using under your XTRIIIi?

I ordered the Arken SH4 6-24x50 this afternoon. They had a good deal $324 delivered with scope, Arken rings, lens caps, throw lever, bubble level, rear bag and a little bling. Its going on a 22LR and I have a lapping kit so I'm not to worried about the rings. It will be replacing a Burris Fullfield E1 on my Howa M1100 that is actually a decent little scope for sub $200.

A little late but I have the Riton 6-24x on a .223AI, Recently picked up the Arken 4-16 for a 6.5 Grendel. You cannot go wrong with either one they way they are priced. A little better image with the glass on the Riton but both work fine out to 800 (max distance I’ve had targets to) Ironically, I‘ve had the DMRII on my 6.5Creed chassis gun since it came out a few years ago. Noticable difference in nearly every respect but 2-3x the price. The Arken also ‘feels‘ twice as heavy as the Riton, but should be anyway as we’re comparing 34mm to a 30mm. I would say, depends how far you plan to shoot on which way to go. If longer, go with the Riton.

Last edited:
EP5 if you can wait for 25% off sale. $421 out the door and it’s mind blowing for that price. Levels above SH4. Buy 3. You’ll recoup your money if you disagree, which I bet you won’t. I have no affiliation but have to endorse it because it’s worth it for all the money rifles, you might have lesser scopes on. My other rifles are ZCO x 2 , SB, DMR3 and leupold fwiw.

Reactions: z71rat and FuhQ
Honestly, I've been extremely impressed with all (4) of my Arkens for the money. For the deal they have going on the SH4 Gen2 right now at $299, this should be a no-brainer decision. You can get the scope, and the precision pack with rings (which are pretty good, too) for like $325 shipped. Plus, they sell direct, so if you're not happy, you can return it for a full refund and they'll send you a return label for free. They're a good company with good CS.

The EP5 has Japanese ED glass that hits WAY above it's price point, and is better than my Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C. They are both good scopes, but the EP5 glass is easily on-par with the PST Gen2 glass...At least my scope's glass is. I've looked through both side-by-side at the range on the same day at the same time...So did others. We (about 5 of us) unanimously concluded they are nearly identical in glass quality, with the external features, turrets, and controls going to the EP5, as well.

I ordered the Arken SH4 6-24x50 this afternoon. They had a good deal $324 delivered with scope, Arken rings, lens caps, throw lever, bubble level, rear bag and a little bling. Its going on a 22LR and I have a lapping kit so I'm not to worried about the rings. It will be replacing a Burris Fullfield E1 on my Howa M1100 that is actually a decent little scope for sub $200.
With a good rail, you won't need to lap the rings. I have 3 sets of the Arken rings, and have yet to have to lap any of them when used on EGW HD 1-piece bases.

EP5 if you can wait for 25% off sale. $421 out the door and it’s mind blowing for that price. Levels above SH4. Buy 3. You’ll recoup your money if you disagree, which I bet you won’t. I have no affiliation but have to endorse it because it’s worth it for all the money rifles, you might have lesser scopes on. My other rifles are ZCO x 2 , SB, DMR3 and leupold fwiw.
When will be that 25% sale? 😍

With Arken Optics runnin the sales like they do, I can’t see spendin money on any other brand. These scopes are awesome, do everything I need them to do, and I have money left in my pocket. The choice honestly is super simple.

Reactions: Gohring65
With Arken Optics runnin the sales like they do, I can’t see spendin money on any other brand. These scopes are awesome, do everything I need them to do, and I have money left in my pocket. The choice honestly is super simple.
Don’t look now but DVOR has the Strike Eagle for $349!

I think the SH5 has noticeably better optics. Eyebox is still tight at 20x+ and the CA still exists. Turrets are very clicky and it tracks well. But both the SH4/5 are very big and heavy scopes...no problem if that is not a concern.
I agree, had a chance to look through one, it is so much better than the SH4 GenII I have.

Reactions: celltech
I like the Vortex Viper PST Get II 5-25x50 with the EBR-7C Reticle.

Last edited:
My EP5 arrived yesterday. Less than a week for delivery. When I put it side by side with my SH4 I can clearly see the difference. The EP5 is sharper and brighter. The illumination is also better. For me it’s well worth the sales price to upgrade. I put it side by side with my Bushnell DMR II and the Bushy clearly has a better image. I also compared it to a Bushnell Forge with ED glass, the Bushy once again has better glass. In my opinion the Arken’s are great value scopes and are comparable to glass $500-$800. I do think the turrets are better than their glass and are on par with $1000-$1200 scopes.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ
You are right. Got my EP5 and it’s much superior to the SH4. I will be selling the SH4. I would compare my 5-25 EP5 to my PST II in 5-25 that I sold.

My EP5 arrived yesterday. Less than a week for delivery. When I put it side by side with my SH4 I can clearly see the difference. The EP5 is sharper and brighter. The illumination is also better. For me it’s well worth the sales price to upgrade. I put it side by side with my Bushnell DMR II and the Bushy clearly has a better image. I also compared it to a Bushnell Forge with ED glass, the Bushy once again has better glass. In my opinion the Arken’s are great value scopes and are comparable to glass $500-$800. I do think the turrets are better than their glass and are on par with $1000-$1200 scopes.
I agree. Not a DMR3 either obviously but hell for $420 shipped that I paid for my last one hard not to buy it to put on something now or later.

Reactions: Mongoose67
My review posted on my local site....

Have been buying Vortex exclusively for years now. They've always fit the bil for my needs. Only had one small issue with one. As expected, service was spot on.

Was in the market a year or so ago and almost tried something new. Think it was an Athlon. Decided to stick with Vortex and bought a Venom (2 actually).

Don't remember how this Arken got on my radar but short story long, they have a "package" deal going and I needed a scope mount too anyway.....and who doesn't need an extra tee shirt, stickers, and patches?

The EP5 seems to be marketed to compete against scopes like the Venom. Same magnification range, objective diameter, and their reticles are almost identical. EP5 does come with illumination, but their version lights only the center dot / cross hairs. Venom does not come illuminated.

Ordered about 1 - ¹/2 weeks ago and just came in. I'll hit some highlights and expand with post usage reactions.

◆ Weight: if you're looking to save ounces, look elsewhere. Feels like a cast sewer pipe in the hand.

◆ Reticle: As I mentioned, almost identical to the EBR7C. The center dot does have a set of mini crosshairs around it and that area is the only illumination. I don't use illumination often but on scopes that I have it on, illuminating the whole reticle can be overpowering.

◆ TURRETS: ALL in caps because they are fucking HUGE...in size and legibility. Like a couple sausages ends cut off and stuck on there. All the reviews I watched reported they were large, and the feel was excellent. I agree. You're going to hear them too. If you're a sniper at 2 miles, don't adjust. Your target will hear you.

All the reviews noted tracking was spot on. Thus far, i like them.

◆ Magnification and parallax: Resistance seems lighter than the Vortex. Not much effort to turn, even when it was ice cold. Sometimes changing magnification feels like opening a pickle jar. Not these.

◆ Accessories: I like what's included. I would've had to buy caps anyway. Until I mount / use the base, I can't say too much. Bubble level and throw lever are also appreciated. Always like a free tee. The little sac appears to be a rear bag for the bench. Not really big enough to be anything else.

◆ Glass: Nothing to report just yet. Will try to get outside tomorrow. Supposedly this model was marketed with Japanese glass.

All in all, I like what I see so far. When I get more time and info I'll update. It's slated to rest atop something a little more.......deliberate.....but it's not ready just yet. I like the Venom and have no issues with the ones I have.