• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armageddon Gear suppressor cover vs Precision Underground cover

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
Armageddon Gear suppressor cover vs Precision Underground suppressor cover

Anyone owned both?

Significant price difference.

How do they compare in terms of performance?

Fit & finish?

Your choice and why?

Reactions: Kobiejohn
Don't forget TAB Gear.

I’ve only owned an Armageddon gear cover, and had to use their warranty (my fault) but I have no complaints. Fit and finish is great.

I went with Rifles Only HAD....very similar to the AG cover in basic design, I think looking at pics.

But, I also bought their suppressor pouch...can take the can off the gun using a wrench on the Area 419 mount and then slip it and its cover into the pouch and put it right in my shooting bag. Keeps from melting a lot of woven nylon! haha

Fit and finish will be hands down a win for us, not even a contest IMO. I am slightly biased though bc I’m the one who nitpicked every detail of the design until I liked it lol. We just added some new stitching around the inner sleeving that cleaned up a little bit of fraying that has bothered me for a long time.
91B962C0-1B17-4122-A434-85A75A1ED72D.jpeg

It’s going to be really hard to beat our performance when it comes to mirage mitigation. We use an inner layer of braided fiberglass coated with high temp silicone, an outer layer of carbon fiber felt, a nylon shell, and kevlar cord. The way they’re retained is far superior to the ones that you need to put your foot on to pull the laces or straps tight enough to keep it from sliding. The tighter you have to cinch straps/laces around the can the faster the heat is going to transfer through the cover. You’ll notice nylon covers always fail where the straps or laces are cinched. Mirage mitigation is all about keeping heat at bay. Having the silicone seal the entire cover plus the felt not being pressed against the can with the laces goes a long way in doing that. You’ll always get some heat off the end of the can but that is unavoidable no matter what cover you’re using.

A category you missed is ease of install/removal. Ours slide over the can and the cord cinches behind it. It takes 5-8 seconds to put it on. Check the bottom of our home page for an install demo to see how easy it is. It’s low budget but gets the point across.

I do want to note that if you’re looking to do mag dumps no nylon cover will be the right cover for you. Ours can stand up to a couple of mag dumps no problem but they are designed for precision rifles and mirage mitigation. They are designed to hold heat inside for as long as possible. I use them on our carbines but I never send more than 20/30 rounds in a short period of time. If I was a mag dump guy I’d design one that allows heat to slowly/evenly dissipate and I wouldn’t use nylon. Grab one and feel free to send it back if you don’t like it!

I have a few Armageddons in the extra high temp version. I dont mag dump anything. They work for what i need them to. Biggest reason i choose them is because thats the brand my cases and bags are

I've got a Precision Underground on each suppressor I own, I'm a BIG fan... But then again, I'm a pretty big fan of about everything he makes, so take that with a grain of salt, haha!

Any experiences between the two on sliding it back between strings at practice? Sounds like the PU is good for that. How is the AG?

don't need a cover that's a PITA to slide back over the can after bringing it back to cool off the can/on barrel

Value for performance? Price matters because I'm getting multiple.

I prefer AG's retention where the back of the cover tightens up around the back of the can. I've tried other covers with straps or lace up and they all walk slowly off the can. I only run AG covers now.

I should also add, I didn't try the PUG cover. Have one of their rear bags and it's great but never tried the cover. I had a TAB and Rifles Only covers before switching to Armageddon Gear.

Another endorsement for the AG cover here. I'm a big fan of the rentention method and haven't had it back off at all. And it's quick and easy to slide off/on to let the can cool between strings.

Reactions: Brym427
Any experiences between the two on sliding it back between strings at practice? Sounds like the PU is good for that. How is the AG?

don't need a cover that's a PITA to slide back over the can after bringing it back to cool off the can/on barrel

Value for performance? Price matters because I'm getting multiple.
The only way it could be easier is if the cover put itself on. We do need to make a better video though…

Reactions: pineoak and ksokie
I have both, a couple of AG's (standard and high temp) and a PU. I like both styles but the Precision Underground is so much easier to slide back to let the can cool. It is very well made, definitely worth the money over the AG covers. I'm also hoping it lasts longer than my first AG standard temp cover did. The Armageddon's insulation began coming loose after about two years so I replaced it with the Precision Underground. The AG high temp cover is still too new to provide any feedback. It was purchased for an AR pistol that does not have room to slide the cover backwards. Otherwise I would have went with another Precision Underground.

I’ve had several versions of the Armageddon cover now. The newer high temp version slides very freely from the barrel back on the can and vice versa compared to my old AG cover. This is for my TBAC. There’s resistance with my saker asr from the muzzle retention ring on the mount which is unavoidable

For me I choose them because the cord is in the cover and tightens behind the can. So there’s no slipping forward during firing. Have other friends with different brand cover (no idea what brands) and they have issues with cover moving forward during firing.

Just a google pic but this is what I’m referring to
64E6508A-339C-4E2F-978E-5FAF374E88A2.png

I’ve had pretty much every cover under the sun, probably multiple of each at one point or another, and I can honestly say that the Precision Underground is my favorite overall design. I like the retention, form, fit, and durability. Super easy to install, always secure, and just generally badass.

That said, I also still have/use a HAD cover, a Burn Proof Gear cover, a Libertys Defense, and a Cole-Tac for my other cans, and all of them do a fine job. Absolutely nothing wrong with TAB Gear, AG, etc. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference and application.

I have noticed that my AGs and Cole-Tacs seem to “wear out” faster than others. They start shedding insulation, some of the sewn junctures begin to fray, and the straps/chords/retention method pretty much always need some refreshing. Again, not to say that they’re bad, but I do think you get what you pay for to an extent.

Reactions: kthomas
I’ve had pretty much every cover under the sun, probably multiple of each at one point or another, and I can honestly say that the Precision Underground is my favorite overall design. I like the retention, form, fit, and durability. Super easy to install, always secure, and just generally badass.

That said, I also still have/use a HAD cover, a Burn Proof Gear cover, a Libertys Defense, and a Cole-Tac for my other cans, and all of them do a fine job. Absolutely nothing wrong with TAB Gear, AG, etc. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference and application.

I have noticed that my AGs and Cole-Tacs seem to “wear out” faster than others. They start shedding insulation, some of the sewn junctures begin to fray, and the straps/chords/retention method pretty much always need some refreshing. Again, not to say that they’re bad, but I do think you get what you pay for to an extent.
I have both, a couple of AG's (standard and high temp) and a PU. I like both styles but the Precision Underground is so much easier to slide back to let the can cool. It is very well made, definitely worth the money over the AG covers. I'm also hoping it lasts longer than my first AG standard temp cover did. The Armageddon's insulation began coming loose after about two years so I replaced it with the Precision Underground. The AG high temp cover is still too new to provide any feedback. It was purchased for an AR pistol that does not have room to slide the cover backwards. Otherwise I would have went with another Precision Underground.
Much appreciated guys. Hearing feedback like this makes the late nights worth it!

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
Kind of contrarian here, but I have a couple lace-up covers from a popular vendor and I got tired of them falling backwards, towards the scope.

How? When the gun is vertical or when sliding the gun+suppressor in a soft case, I’d find the cover on the barrel, didn’t matter how tight or loose I laced it. It worked well when actually shooting, however.

So I bought a couple Modtacs for bolt guns, this one to be specific. It doesn’t move. Stays on to the point of scuffing the suppressor, but I don’t care. The suppressor is always covered anyway, and most people don’t sell their suppressors due to the hassle.

Only downside is that if you want to remove your suppressor you have to remove the cover first (that’s how I scuffed the suppressor, got lazy). And removal requires a small hex key (included), which I keep handy while hunting.

I think it fits up to a 1.6” can, which could be a downside too if you have a fatty. I don’t. Have. A. Fatty.

I believe they’re working on a cover for le fatties. And they have some neat designs for AR’s.

Anyway, solutions for first-world problems and all that. “Waaah, my swuppressor cover fell backwaords waaahhh” lol

Liberty's Defense has been my go to. Extremely durable, and expensive. Attached with a laced steel cable, it cannot move forward/back.

1661368978831.jpeg

Picture stolen from their website.

Liberty's Defense has been my go to. Extremely durable, and expensive. Attached with a laced steel cable, it cannot move forward/back.

View attachment 7940892

Picture stolen from their website.
Interesting…how does the design prevent the cover from moving back towards the scope? All I see is the handguard stopping it, which my bolt guns don’t have.

Precious little info on this specific topic on their site. I watched most of their vids too.

I'm not reading the entire thread, but I have owned both. The PU cover worked awesome on my ultra 9. Except it would fall back down over the barrel with the gun muzzle up staging for a stage or when slung over my should going between stages. I got an AG cover and have had no issues with it sliding any which way, forward or back and it works equally well at mirage mitigation (even on 15rd stages in 90 degree heat).

The build quality on the PU cover was perfection and left nothing to be desired. Just wish I wouldn't have slid down over the barrel as mentioned above.

I also had a cole tac cover. Didn't matter how tight it was cinched down, it slide forward on 10rd stages and annoyed me.

For Christmas I'm going to get myself a Liberty Defense cover for my Magnus since I'm probably another 4 months out on the stamp clearing as of today.

I’ve got 3 PU and love them. I’ve never had any sliding towards the muzzle. I’d be concerned of a misfit or operator error. The Kevlar cord prevents sliding away, which is the natural progression with recoil.
They work well with mirage mitigation. 6.5 PRC in the summer firing 10 rds at a time generates a shit load of heat. Better glass helps too. Ultimately you get some mirage if you’re shooting enough in hot conditions.

Interesting…how does the design prevent the cover from moving back towards the scope? All I see is the handguard stopping it, which my bolt guns don’t have.

Precious little info on this specific topic on their site. I watched most of their vids too.
The jacket hangs over each end and the cable cinches it. I’ve had it on my ARs and bolt guns and it has not moved on any of them. Running a dead air K and S

Reactions: carbonbased
I'm not reading the entire thread, but I have owned both. The PU cover worked awesome on my ultra 9. Except it would fall back down over the barrel with the gun muzzle up staging for a stage or when slung over my should going between stages. I got an AG cover and have had no issues with it sliding any which way, forward or back and it works equally well at mirage mitigation (even on 15rd stages in 90 degree heat).

The build quality on the PU cover was perfection and left nothing to be desired. Just wish I wouldn't have slid down over the barrel as mentioned above.

I also had a cole tac cover. Didn't matter how tight it was cinched down, it slide forward on 10rd stages and annoyed me.

For Christmas I'm going to get myself a Liberty Defense cover for my Magnus since I'm probably another 4 months out on the stamp clearing as of today.
There’s some variation in can size and the size of the sleeving that we use on the inside of the cover and it prob ended up small on one side and large on the other. We have some sleeving that’s a little bit tighter that would probably take care of your issue. Feel free to send it back and we’ll tighten it up. DM me if you want to.

There’s some variation in can size and the size of the sleeving that we use on the inside of the cover and it prob ended up small on one side and large on the other. We have some sleeving that’s a little bit tighter that would probably take care of your issue. Feel free to send it back and we’ll tighten it up. DM me if you want to.
A+ customer service right there, but I sold it to another member here. Just didn't need two can covers for the same can. I do appreciate the offer however!! Thank you!

Recoil is what sends it forward. I might be missing your point but the cover wants to move forward typically not towards the scope. Science.

Recoil is what sends it forward. I might be missing your point but the cover wants to move forward typically not towards the scope. Science.
Yeah, I know about recoil and covers. You are missing the point.

Read my above post #18 here and read what Krob mentioned about his PU cover failing down.

He and I are not talking about performance during shooting.

Interesting... I have a Rifles Only HAD and have been really happy with it. The Precision Underground looks pretty nice. Having a couple cans in the works I am going to need covers.

A company in my state of Florida to boot... Some considering to be fine

Reactions: Baron23
$300+ suppressor covers... lol

I'm not one that complains about spending money, can't take it when we die anyway... But a $300+ cover is new world to me.😆😆 If I'm paying more than a tax stamp...🤬

With that said... I use Armageddon Gear high temp covers on nearly every can I own, maybe 15 of them... Only had one issue that was my fault and AG replaced it no questions asked. Their customer service is quick and responsive.

$300+ suppressor covers... lol

I'm not one that complains about spending money, can't take it when we die anyway... But a $300+ cover is new world to me.😆😆 If I'm paying more than a tax stamp...🤬

With that said... I use Armageddon Gear high temp covers on nearly every can I own, maybe 15 of them... Only had one issue that was my fault and AG replaced it no questions asked. Their customer service is quick and responsive.
I must have missed it…whose cover is $300+?

Liberty's Defense is $290,

Modtac is $145 for their regular cover and $210 for their high temp version.

Modtac’s pic rail integrated covers are north of $300. They seem to be for AR’s.

Reactions: Baron23
Fit and finish will be hands down a win for us, not even a contest IMO. I am slightly biased though bc I’m the one who nitpicked every detail of the design until I liked it lol. We just added some new stitching around the inner sleeving that cleaned up a little bit of fraying that has bothered me for a long time.
View attachment 7937898

It’s going to be really hard to beat our performance when it comes to mirage mitigation. We use an inner layer of braided fiberglass coated with high temp silicone, an outer layer of carbon fiber felt, a nylon shell, and kevlar cord. The way they’re retained is far superior to the ones that you need to put your foot on to pull the laces or straps tight enough to keep it from sliding. The tighter you have to cinch straps/laces around the can the faster the heat is going to transfer through the cover. You’ll notice nylon covers always fail where the straps or laces are cinched. Mirage mitigation is all about keeping heat at bay. Having the silicone seal the entire cover plus the felt not being pressed against the can with the laces goes a long way in doing that. You’ll always get some heat off the end of the can but that is unavoidable no matter what cover you’re using.

A category you missed is ease of install/removal. Ours slide over the can and the cord cinches behind it. It takes 5-8 seconds to put it on. Check the bottom of our home page for an install demo to see how easy it is. It’s low budget but gets the point across.

I do want to note that if you’re looking to do mag dumps no nylon cover will be the right cover for you. Ours can stand up to a couple of mag dumps no problem but they are designed for precision rifles and mirage mitigation. They are designed to hold heat inside for as long as possible. I use them on our carbines but I never send more than 20/30 rounds in a short period of time. If I was a mag dump guy I’d design one that allows heat to slowly/evenly dissipate and I wouldn’t use nylon. Grab one and feel free to send it back if you don’t like it!
I'm looking at your website and the product listings are a little short on photos when it comes to color varieties. Do you have a picture of what the Black Multicam pattern looks like?

I'm looking at your website and the product listings are a little short on photos when it comes to color varieties. Do you have a picture of what the Black Multicam pattern looks like?
This is their black multicam. Looks like every other black multicam I've seen and matches my TacOps drag bag perfectly
4962B257-D263-467E-99AA-50D474F6F24F.jpeg

I have RO MAD, RO HAD and a PU suppressor cover.

So far, I really like them all. I haven't shot with my PU cover yet, as it's for a suppressor that I finally received last week, but my shooting range is flooded out. So far it seems like a very well made cover. As with everything PU, you can expect the quality and CS to be great.

Functionally, the RO covers have served me well. Use has been pretty limited so far, just range use to this point. When you properly cinch up the suppressor covers and put a bungee cord behind the suppressor, they don't walk at all. I've had no issues with that. I can see how the PU cover would be easier to slide off between strings, but still need to adequately test it.

No experience with AG. The Liberty suppressor covers look really nice, but I'm a poor now, so too rich for my blood.

Thanks, that's helpful. I like the pattern. Also as it happens, on their website I was looking at the velcro cover which had only one picture, but the listing for the corded cover has a picture of all the colors.
Yup it’s typical black multi.
484BB189-EA27-4F90-9F24-421391FB7730.jpeg

Be aware that the Velcro is harder to deal with than the laced. It’s not “hard“ to install it’s just that the lace is ridiculously easy. If you specifically want a Velcro cover there’s no reason not to buy it but if you want fast/easy get the laced.

Reactions: kthomas