• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armageddon M1A, Soltis Rifles, One-of-a-Kind Battle Rig

Copyleader

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 24, 2012
Wisconsin
www.soltisrifles.com
...thought the Hide members might like to check this out....for the man who thought he had everything (Note, it's for sale in the "for sale" section if you're interested)

Soltis Rifles, Customized Springfield Armory M1A Scout Rifle, .308 Winchester, “Armageddon” Special

My favorite semi-automatic rifle, the classic and powerful M1A. I’ve customized numerous M1A’s, but this one we did especially to be the headliner at a large gun show we recently exhibited at. We’ve customized it to the max to be extremely versatile and effective. Whether it’s close quarters or extended ranges, this rifle is ready for anything. Upgrades, parts, and components listed below:

• Shortened Factory Springfield Stock, removed factory butt pad assembly, cut LOP to handy 12 1/2”, added Packmayer 1” Trap Decelerator Pad with plastic insert for no-snag shouldering.
• Added standard rear sling stud and forend sling stud/mount.
• Added slight palm swell to wrist area of stock.
• Bedded action to stock, utilizing bedding/pad points.
• Custom-made rear-action recoil lug (mechanical connection), with custom rear pillar in stock, and custom action securing screw.
• Added two picatinny rails to stock, one underneath forend for forward grip and one on offside of forend for tactical light or whatever.
• Added a SureFire P2X Fury Tactical Light, 500 Lumens, 1” tube, attached via a Leupold steel quick-detach scope mount for rock solid mounting and quick on/off capability.
• DuraCoated Stock in four-color Soltis Rifles Custom Tiger-Stripe pattern (Tactical Black, South African Light Green, Urban White, British DPM Tan) with spatter combat/dirty accent, American Flag on stock, caliber, and Soltis Rifles emblem.
• Added a Grip Pod System-02, milspec forend grip with internal bipod/steel-inserts.
• The factory barrel has been shortened to just over 16”, the factory front sight assembly/flash suppressor/threads have been removed and the barrel has been re-threaded ½-28 to accept any standard flash suppressor/brake/sound suppressor component/system.
• The Gas Cylinder Assembly has been shimmed and mechanically connected on top and a Picatinny rail added for a front flip-up sight.
• The Spindle Gas Valve has been modified with a custom lever for quick gas off/on versatility.
• The barrel-mounted factory forward Picatinny rail has been modified for scope clearance and Troy Industries Micro Folding Iron Sights have been added.
• S&W Enhanced Flash Hider installed, timed, no crush washer.
• Magazine Release Lever has been customized, adding a custom-made, mechanically connected oversized pad (ergonomically correct) for comfortable and fast mag changes.
• Added a Badger Ordnance Match Spring Guide Rod and a Buffer Technologies M1A buffer pad.
• All the action components were polished for smoothness, the chamber mouth has been polished, extractor polished, and everything Parkerized and DuraCoated to match stock.
• Scope Mounting is 100% custom, custom-made steel bases/mounts are mechanically attached to the M1A receiver, with Talley Bases mechanically attached on top, with Talley 1” Throw-lever Steel Rings. I used the Talley system instead of a standard picatinny rail because the Talley system has incredible “repeatability”, meaning you can take the scope on and off and there is virtually no change in zero, very forgiving high-quality system. Also, this is a rock solid system unlike some of the aftermarket mounts, plus it’s mounted lower/more natural position so your cheek-weld lines up low, keeping your head down, perfectly aligned with the scope without the need for a cheek rest/pad. When you pop the foregrip button, releasing the bipod, going prone is really a thing of beauty. Everything lines up perfectly, from rifle/stock height to your shoulder pocket, scope height, cheek weld, eye-relief, etc.
• Includes a Kahles Helia C, 6X Fixed 42mm with 4A reticle scope, Kahles bikini scope covers, tied down with 550. I’ve used this same scope on numerous hunting rifles and love it, fixed-6 is a no-nonsense effective rig, Kahles are tough as hell, bright, simple reticle with no clutter, and reticle is thick enough for fast target acquisition but thin enough that it doesn’t cover the target at extended ranges. Also, 6X is enough magnification that you don’t see the back-up iron sights at all in your scope. Lastly, it fits perfectly atop the rifle. If it was a little longer or the objective bell was bigger it would bump the forward picatinny rail. Also, with its stubby hunting elevation/windage turrets, there’s plenty of clearance and you don’t have any ejection/deflection issues. If you wanted to switch out scopes, you could, although it would have to be a scope that met certain parameters as mentioned and then if you wanted a 30mm tube, you would need 30mm Talley Rings (Note. If you want 30mm rings, I would need to send them to you, they would first have to be modified slightly by me to clamp properly with this system, I would lap them in, choose correct height depending on your scope, and mount your scope for you if you prefer).

What’s really cool about this rig is with its carbine over-all length (just under 38” and only 351/2” without the brake), short LOP, balance, and minimal muzzle-flip/recoil, it’s very effective/handy for close quarters (considering it’s a .308 Win) or you can go to the prone position with the bipod and effectively engage targets out to 600m+ consistently and with .308 knock-down. The only thing I would like to have added, but didn’t would be a scope-top-mounted mini-red-dot for the aforementioned close quarters shooting. Also, with the 500 lumen tactical light, you can blind an attacker at close-range by hitting the button with your support hand from the foregrip, or hit the same button, look through the scope and easily/instantly engage targets in total darkness out to 100yds and beyond.

Rifle shoots awesome for a carbine M1A with a stock trigger, I shot some sub MOA three-shot groups with factory Hornady Match 168gr AMAX at 100yds. I also rapidly emptied some full 20round mags with cheap UMC 150gr FMJ and it grouped about 2-3 inches at 100yds, which is what I expect from a “battle” rifle in lead-spraying mode. I did zero the flip-up sights as well, nice back-ups, they line up perfectly when raised same height as scope. Overall, extremely pleased with how it all turned out. Not to mention, there’s still a lot somebody could do with it, like a new trigger, new brake/suppressor set-up, different scope(s), mini-red-dot for close up work, etc.

Attachments

• DSC01061.jpg
    DSC01061.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC01065.jpg
    DSC01065.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • DSC01067.jpg
    DSC01067.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01070.jpg
    DSC01070.jpg
    864.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC01076.jpg
    DSC01076.jpg
    919.1 KB · Views: 27
So did you cut the rear sight area to fit that hideous custom scope mount?

Wtf comes to mind when viewing those pictures. IMO, that rifle is ruined.

The gas spindle valve could have been a dual purpose lever and bottle opener......I will wait for revision #2

The statement about CQB ended it for me. Tactics run with the weapon not the other way around. The M14 was use in every, vill, hut, building, hanger, and some cargo planes the enemy had and we still came out on top. If people would quite with the I can't do this w/o this B/S our name in the world might mean something again, someday. Instead the excuse mongers clamor for more excuses as to why they can't do something w/o it's perfect for the task at hand.

Just some quick observations.

I'm sorry but there is no such thing as a good cheek weld using a scope and factory Springfield stock and the picture emulates this.
You destroy the iron sights and chop the barrel to turn it into a close range setup but then mount a fixed 6x scope?
Cutting the rear of that stock to accommodate a rear lug severely weakens the heel area and is prone to breaking.

I love the concept of a short M14 but would not remove the irons which leaves the only true solid way of mounting an optic is to run an LRB M25 receiver. Not cheap and out of reach for some shooter's budgets which leaves the bolt on mounts and I'm not a fan.

Or he could have left the irons on it and utilized a scout mount with a 2.5X scope. I'll give you $400 for the rifle as it is only worth parts now.

And one more thing. If you are in a firefight at close range and have to be concerned with blinding your enemy with your flashlight so you can acquire him in your sight picture you better pray he is alone.

So did you cut the rear sight area to fit that hideous custom scope mount?

Wtf comes to mind when viewing those pictures. IMO, that rifle is ruined.

...that scope mount is actually a thing of beauty. It solves a variety of mounting issues often found on M1A's, the best of which is stability/rigidity. The M1A receiver was removed from the barrel and the top bridges were milled perfectly square to the bore. They were then drilled/tapped to receive the custom bases. The bases were milled perfectly square and then screwed/bedded to the top of the receiver, rock solid. The top of the bases were then drilled tapped to receive the Talley bases, which were screwed/bedded to the custom bases. Lastly, the top of the Talley bases were milled perfectly square and the throw-lever Talley Rings were installed. The rings were then lapped in for perfect alignment and the scope was leveled and mounted. The advantage to this system is the mounts are rock solid and perfectly square with the receiver, and they're low, for a more natural cheek weld/shooting position. Also, they're a two-piece mount, which doesn't protrude into the ejection/loading port, which makes for clean ejection, which is important on a semi-auto lead-sprayer. Lastly, the Talley quick-release system, unlike a normal picatinny rail system is designed for "repeatability", which means you can take the scope on/off and it literally holds it's zero perfectly. This system is a pain in the butt to do, but it is a thing of beauty regardless of your uniformed opinion....done with you, on to the next know-it-all who knows nothing....

Bwaaahaahaaa..... Bwaaahaahaaa.... Just can't stop.... Rotfl... Sorry it's hard not to laugh when you say "the next know it all that knows nothing" when the rifle has the site installed backward....Nothing personal but funny stuff.

Last edited:
This system is a pain in the butt to do, but it is a thing of beauty regardless of your uniformed opinion....done with you, on to the next know-it-all who knows nothing....

Says the guy whoring his stuff for sale in a forum other than the for sale forum. Without a vendors account at that...

So you wanna hop on over to the M14Forum and tell those guys as well how uninformed they are. Your "masterpiece" is a laughing stock over there too.
You still never said if you'd accept my offer of $400 for the rifle.

I could keep going about all the things that are wrong with your "masterpiece", but I'm pretty sure you would disagree anyway.

If you wanted a nice secure scope mount receiver, you should have just bought an LRB M25 receiver. They already solved the scope mounting problem, and the receiver can still utilize iron sights.

So you wanna hop on over to the M14Forum and tell those guys as well how uninformed they are. Your "masterpiece" is a laughing stock over there too.
You still never said if you'd accept my offer of $400 for the rifle.

I could keep going about all the things that are wrong with your "masterpiece", but I'm pretty sure you would disagree anyway.

If you wanted a nice secure scope mount receiver, you should have just bought an LRB M25 receiver. They already solved the scope mounting problem, and the receiver can still utilize iron sights.

....no, I said specifically that you're uninformed JMGlasgow. I fully acknowledge there are tons of folks out there that know more than me. Funny thing is, all those folks that know more than you and I, unlike you, have not rudely mentioned how flawed this rifle is. I never said my rifle is a "masterpiece" or the end all/be all when it comes to M1A's, I'm happy to keep building, learning, and improving, I'll take all the good advice I can get. I got this specific old M1A Scout for a song and had an extra Khales scope and ran with it. I didn't start from scratch with unlimited resources to build the ultimate M1A, I just utilized what I had and built something unique and functional. I just explained the scope mounting to you and the best you can come up with is "you should of done this, you should of done that", great, that's informative, I could do that all day with anybody's build. You say you can keep going with things I did wrong, let's hear them, and when you're all done, let's go to the range and see who's M1A shoots better....although we both know that's not going to happen, don't we, guys who talk tough on the internet always seem to shy away from actually doing anything....the rest of the guys shooting arrows my way know this as well, but that's fine, you guys are keeping my rifle on the first page....thanks....by the way, where is the M14Forum, I'm not familiar with it?

Bwaaahaahaaa..... Bwaaahaahaaa.... Just can't stop.... Rotfl... Sorry it's hard not to laugh when you say "the next know it all that knows nothing" when the rifle has the site installed backward....Nothing personal but funny stuff.

...hey, angry guy, I'll let you in on a little secret (don't tell anybody), you can use the flip-up iron either way, it functions the same (I utilized it the way I did so I can quickly flip the objective lens cover off without obstruction). You're must be the resident tough guy, but if that's the best you got.....wow...go back to watching The Voice, this site's for big boys....

Come to Wyoming. I'll shoot my Glen Nelson built SAI super match (that cost half what you're asking), against your monstrosity any day.

And so you know.. It has been proven that turning off the gas system to turn the rifle into a single shot makes the rifle less accurate. The grip pod should be thrown in the trash, the original sight on the m14 are some of the best iron sights of any platform, and you decided that some sights designed for an ar15 would be a better choice.

Maybe you should apply for a job at tactical rifles... Rooney would be impressed by that abortion.

Last edited:
Damn. I've been following this post for days. Why the hell can't I see the pictures! Apparently it is worth seeing

Holy monkey fuck....

With that out of the way...it's your rifle, so do what you feel is right.

BUT, it is definitely bad form to come advertising in this forum.

Hey OP, couple questions from a practicality standpoint. First, how are the iron sights for any kind of use other than off the bench at the range? It seems like such a short sight radius so far forward away from your eye would be tough to utilize quickly or precisely. Is there any play in the handguard where you've mounted the rear sight? Or did you secure it to the action?
The optic doesn't appear to my (untrained) eye to be any lower than what you'd get using some other aftermarket mounting systems that don't require milling the receiver. I get that you put in a lot of work to ensure that your base and rings are perfectly square and rock solid, but do you really feel that you gained anything over the other mounting systems on the market? It's still too high to use well without a cheek riser, plus you lost the utility of the excellent factory rear sight.....so what did you gain?

Props to you for the time and effort it took to complete a project like that. It's certainly not what I'd consider an attractive rifle, but I hope it scratches whatever itch you had in mind for it.

...hey, angry guy, I'll let you in on a little secret (don't tell anybody), you can use the flip-up iron either way, it functions the same (I utilized it the way I did so I can quickly flip the objective lens cover off without obstruction). You're must be the resident tough guy, but if that's the best you got.....wow...go back to watching The Voice, this site's for big boys....

Bwahhaahhaha....is that your excuse for your dumb assery? You've gone full retard, not just with that rifle but your comments. ..big boys huh? Too funny....be careful one us big boys might put I mushroom print on your forehead......say ahhhhhh

Last edited:
Here are my comments:

First off I think that comparing this to a tactical rifles whack job is inappropriate, as the defining characteristic of the TR outfit is that they are dishonest and unscrupulous. There is no evidence of dishonesty or misleading information, except for the bad form of posting this piece in three different threads on this forum (contrary to the rules). The OP obviously knew what he was doing when he built this thing, however ugly it may be. This is an example of building something to an inherently flawed plan.

Spending lots of time on a project does not inherently increase its value. For instance, I could pay a number of well known gunsmiths to completely work over and add every bell and whistle to a Rem 700 receiver, but despite all the labor it still would never achieve the value comparable to a Defiance, BAT or Surgeon receiver even though the Remington could have over $1.5K of additional parts and labor to trick it out.

If anyone is going to pay $4K for a rifle, it better be a name brand or built to spec. This is neither. For just $1.5K you can get a DPMS GII AR-10! This rifle does not have a match grade barrel, but instead the factory one cut down to 16". Sorry, but $4K for this just ain't going to happen.

The scope sits way too high. I don't care how tricked out the scope base is, I don't think this works well. If I'm going to scope a semi-auto, I want something that I can easily pull up and get a sight picture, not fight with the rifle to get.

I understand the OP's reasoning for the back up sights, but I don't agree with it. If we have to go with the Armageddon theme and use irons, what's wrong with using something offset or finding a way to use the existing M1's sights? Since it's a gunsmith that built it, I'm sure it wouldn't have been too much of a problem to put a new front sight on a match barrel and preserve as much as possible with the original design. Sometimes less is more.

The paint scheme gets your attention, but in a bad way. If I want an M1, I want something that has a traditional look. What is wrong with finishing the wood and (perhaps) coating the metal graphite black or having it blued? This, in my opinion, would be more presentable and appealing to a market interested in having a vintage piece. If I was going to sell it and knew how to finish it, I would have probably have offered to finish it however the customer wanted it.

What the OP has done here is the equivalent of getting a vintage VW beetle, tricked it out with some odd features (like putting oversize wheels with high polish chrome rims and a switch controlled hydraulic suspension), painted it with rainbows and unicorns, and then asked $100K for it. My advice is to start over or keep it for yourself.

Heaven preserve us! I couldn't see the photos for first couple days...But for some reason I can today, I wish I hadn't. Alt+Ctrl+Unsee

Hey, I want to order a nice M1A from your shop so how much for one without any of this:

• Shortened Factory Springfield Stock, removed factory butt pad assembly, cut LOP to handy 12 1/2”, added Packmayer 1” Trap Decelerator Pad with plastic insert for no-snag shouldering.
• Added standard rear sling stud and forend sling stud/mount.
• Added slight palm swell to wrist area of stock.
• Bedded action to stock, utilizing bedding/pad points.
• Custom-made rear-action recoil lug (mechanical connection), with custom rear pillar in stock, and custom action securing screw.
• Added two picatinny rails to stock, one underneath forend for forward grip and one on offside of forend for tactical light or whatever.
• Added a SureFire P2X Fury Tactical Light, 500 Lumens, 1” tube, attached via a Leupold steel quick-detach scope mount for rock solid mounting and quick on/off capability.
• DuraCoated Stock in four-color Soltis Rifles Custom Tiger-Stripe pattern (Tactical Black, South African Light Green, Urban White, British DPM Tan) with spatter combat/dirty accent, American Flag on stock, caliber, and Soltis Rifles emblem.
• Added a Grip Pod System-02, milspec forend grip with internal bipod/steel-inserts.
• The factory barrel has been shortened to just over 16”, the factory front sight assembly/flash suppressor/threads have been removed and the barrel has been re-threaded ½-28 to accept any standard flash suppressor/brake/sound suppressor component/system.
• The Gas Cylinder Assembly has been shimmed and mechanically connected on top and a Picatinny rail added for a front flip-up sight.
• The Spindle Gas Valve has been modified with a custom lever for quick gas off/on versatility.
• The barrel-mounted factory forward Picatinny rail has been modified for scope clearance and Troy Industries Micro Folding Iron Sights have been added.
• S&W Enhanced Flash Hider installed, timed, no crush washer.
• Magazine Release Lever has been customized, adding a custom-made, mechanically connected oversized pad (ergonomically correct) for comfortable and fast mag changes.
• Added a Badger Ordnance Match Spring Guide Rod and a Buffer Technologies M1A buffer pad.
• All the action components were polished for smoothness, the chamber mouth has been polished, extractor polished, and everything Parkerized and DuraCoated to match stock.
• Scope Mounting is 100% custom, custom-made steel bases/mounts are mechanically attached to the M1A receiver, with Talley Bases mechanically attached on top, with Talley 1” Throw-lever Steel Rings. I used the Talley system instead of a standard picatinny rail because the Talley system has incredible “repeatability”, meaning you can take the scope on and off and there is virtually no change in zero, very forgiving high-quality system. Also, this is a rock solid system unlike some of the aftermarket mounts, plus it’s mounted lower/more natural position so your cheek-weld lines up low, keeping your head down, perfectly aligned with the scope without the need for a cheek rest/pad. When you pop the foregrip button, releasing the bipod, going prone is really a thing of beauty. Everything lines up perfectly, from rifle/stock height to your shoulder pocket, scope height, cheek weld, eye-relief, etc.
• Includes a Kahles Helia C, 6X Fixed 42mm with 4A reticle scope, Kahles bikini scope covers, tied down with 550. I’ve used this same scope on numerous hunting rifles and love it, fixed-6 is a no-nonsense effective rig, Kahles are tough as hell, bright, simple reticle with no clutter, and reticle is thick enough for fast target acquisition but thin enough that it doesn’t cover the target at extended ranges. Also, 6X is enough magnification that you don’t see the back-up iron sights at all in your scope. Lastly, it fits perfectly atop the rifle. If it was a little longer or the objective bell was bigger it would bump the forward picatinny rail. Also, with its stubby hunting elevation/windage turrets, there’s plenty of clearance and you don’t have any ejection/deflection issues. If you wanted to switch out scopes, you could, although it would have to be a scope that met certain parameters as mentioned and then if you wanted a 30mm tube, you would need 30mm Talley Rings (Note. If you want 30mm rings, I would need to send them to you, they would first have to be modified slightly by me to clamp properly with this system, I would lap them in, choose correct height depending on your scope, and mount your scope for you if you prefer).

Thanks in advance!

Hey OP, couple questions from a practicality standpoint. First, how are the iron sights for any kind of use other than off the bench at the range? It seems like such a short sight radius so far forward away from your eye would be tough to utilize quickly or precisely. Is there any play in the handguard where you've mounted the rear sight? Or did you secure it to the action?
The optic doesn't appear to my (untrained) eye to be any lower than what you'd get using some other aftermarket mounting systems that don't require milling the receiver. I get that you put in a lot of work to ensure that your base and rings are perfectly square and rock solid, but do you really feel that you gained anything over the other mounting systems on the market? It's still too high to use well without a cheek riser, plus you lost the utility of the excellent factory rear sight.....so what did you gain?

Props to you for the time and effort it took to complete a project like that. It's certainly not what I'd consider an attractive rifle, but I hope it scratches whatever itch you had in mind for it.

...rear sight is attached to the forward (scout) picatinny rail, which is secured to the barrel, it's rock solid. The rear flip-up is pretty far forward so you do have to use the bigger (0-200) peep, but it lines up with your eye perfectly and works way better than I thought it would, I was shouldering and hitting silhouettes efficiently. With this rig, the flip-ups are purely last resort backup anyway, it's built to be scoped and then either a mini-red-dot offset or mounted on the scope. As for the scope mount, the pictures don't convey just how low it is, you're incorrect about needing a cheek riser, but that's because you don't physically have the rifle in front of you and aren't able to shoulder it. I actually had to mill down the forward (scout) rail just to get the objective bell of the scope with a lens cover to clear it. You gotta remember, that scope is a puny hunting scope with a 42mm objective bell and it sits right on top of the rail, same as a mounted red-dot would. This is very low, your normal cheek weld, with NO cheek rest pad, lines you up perfectly with the scope. That scope height is what I was after and thus had to mill down the factory rear sight. This rifle was not built for Camp Perry, the irons were just an afterthought....good questions...thanks....

Here are my comments:

First off I think that comparing this to a tactical rifles whack job is inappropriate, as the defining characteristic of the TR outfit is that they are dishonest and unscrupulous. There is no evidence of dishonesty or misleading information, except for the bad form of posting this piece in three different threads on this forum (contrary to the rules). The OP obviously knew what he was doing when he built this thing, however ugly it may be. This is an example of building something to an inherently flawed plan.

Spending lots of time on a project does not inherently increase its value. For instance, I could pay a number of well known gunsmiths to completely work over and add every bell and whistle to a Rem 700 receiver, but despite all the labor it still would never achieve the value comparable to a Defiance, BAT or Surgeon receiver even though the Remington could have over $1.5K of additional parts and labor to trick it out.

If anyone is going to pay $4K for a rifle, it better be a name brand or built to spec. This is neither. For just $1.5K you can get a DPMS GII AR-10! This rifle does not have a match grade barrel, but instead the factory one cut down to 16". Sorry, but $4K for this just ain't going to happen.

The scope sits way too high. I don't care how tricked out the scope base is, I don't think this works well. If I'm going to scope a semi-auto, I want something that I can easily pull up and get a sight picture, not fight with the rifle to get.

I understand the OP's reasoning for the back up sights, but I don't agree with it. If we have to go with the Armageddon theme and use irons, what's wrong with using something offset or finding a way to use the existing M1's sights? Since it's a gunsmith that built it, I'm sure it wouldn't have been too much of a problem to put a new front sight on a match barrel and preserve as much as possible with the original design. Sometimes less is more.

The paint scheme gets your attention, but in a bad way. If I want an M1, I want something that has a traditional look. What is wrong with finishing the wood and (perhaps) coating the metal graphite black or having it blued? This, in my opinion, would be more presentable and appealing to a market interested in having a vintage piece. If I was going to sell it and knew how to finish it, I would have probably have offered to finish it however the customer wanted it.

What the OP has done here is the equivalent of getting a vintage VW beetle, tricked it out with some odd features (like putting oversize wheels with high polish chrome rims and a switch controlled hydraulic suspension), painted it with rainbows and unicorns, and then asked $100K for it. My advice is to start over or keep it for yourself.

....you either figured it out, or you just unknowingly figured out the reason behind the high asking price with the last four words of your last sentence...oh, and you are mistaken about the scope being too high, read my previous post, the pictures alone are deceiving, I'm not a professional photographer, sorry....

Copyleader, I'm sorry but that thing looks like 10lbs of shit shoved in a 1lb bag. I give you kudos for trying, but you did indeed fail. Don't give up, maybe the next one will be a winner.

Chris R.

....you either figured it out, or you just unknowingly figured out the reason behind the high asking price with the last four words of your last sentence...oh, and you are mistaken about the scope being too high, read my previous post, the pictures alone are deceiving, I'm not a professional photographer, sorry....

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Looks like Armageddon already happened to that M1A.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to send that rifle to Springfield Armory and have a hidden camera when the box was opened & hear some comments.
Had the receiver not been molested most parts could have been swapped around to "fix" it or return it to normal.

Some gun buyback programs might pass on it as well.