• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite 260 or DPMS 6.5 Creedmoore

dropd57

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2004
CT
Thinking of a 6.5 gas gun and since I have a AR10, I am thinking of a 260 upper. However, for about the same money I could get a complete DMPS Creedmoore rifle.

My question is has anyone seen or know how the Armalite shoots? I wonder how accurate they are compared to the DPMS Creedmoore.

I must say that I am partial to Armalite for some reason, but I am looking for the one offering the best 6.5 accuracy and ballistics.

Thanks

Re: Armalite 260 or DPMS 6.5 Creedmoore

If accuracy is your goal, it will be hard to beat the DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor without going bolt action or spending a considerable amount of money.

I have both the DPMS 6.5 and their 260. Both are really accurate rigs, but my 6.5 is a tad better.

I read here that some owners of the DPMS LR308 are upgrading barrels and triggers. What kind of groups are you getting with the stock barrels; how is the trigger and what ammo are you using in each rifle?

I presume you are talking about Armalite's new 260 upper they came out with...assuming you have built a pretty nice lower already with a good trigger you will be able to take advantage of the .260...whereas if you go dpms plan on swapping in your nicer trigger or buying another trigger to replace the stock one.

also the armalite has a lifetime warranty...

I would say the 6.5 Creedmoore. I haven't heard of any of the DPMS 6.5 barrels having issues. You will most likely have to switch out the trigger but in my opinion its always more fun to have a complete rifle over another upper.

I kind of think the lifetime warranty is mute to an extent. It doesn't cover a barrel replacement/normal wear and tear so really its just for the issues that would arise while breaking in the rifle which are covered by DPMS as well and my experience with Armalite warranty service wasn't as easy as some would have you believe.

I think both companies make nice weapons but since you asked between an upper and a complete, I'd go complete, even with a new trigger its a pretty good deal to pass up. (Buds has the RFLR65 for under $1000).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dropd57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read here that some owners of the DPMS LR308 are upgrading barrels and triggers. What kind of groups are you getting with the stock barrels; how is the trigger and what ammo are you using in each rifle? </div></div>

You will be very happy with the factory barrel (Unless you don't care for the weight), but will need to put a good trigger in it.