• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite AR-10 A4 vs AR-10T carbine?

hilltop101

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
I'm in the market for my first AR-10 and have decided to go with Armalite since they're in my budget, but I'm having trouble deciding between the two. The A4 is about $200 less than the AR-10T but I'm not completely sure what the differences are between the two. I know the T is supposedly more accurate due to the heavier profile target barrel, but how much more? I'm looking at the carbine models and the rifle would be used for hunting and range time. I like the collapsible stock of the A4, but is the buffer tube compatible with other mil spec AR stocks? Are there any differences between the triggers? Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Armalite AR-10 A4 vs AR-10T carbine?

1) Accuracy of the (T) series rifles and carbines from Armalite is guaranteed at 1MOA. In my experience with a variety of AR-10T rifles and carbines over the years is that with proper, match ammo or handloads, and a competent shooter using a semi-auto .308, that they will achieve sub-MOA accuracy. In terms of the basic, AR-10A4 Carbine, Armalite guarantees their factory AR-10A4 standard/rack grade carbines at 2MOA. As with their other "guarantees" in my experience, they generally UNDER VALUE them when placed in the hands of an experienced shooter with proper ammo, etc. YMMV...BUT, the basic A4 will NOT be as accurate (or as potentially accurate) as the 10T based on a number of factory, but primarily due to: a) lack of a free-floating barrel; 2) lack of a better quality barrel (as compared to the match, SS barrel of the 10T; 3) standard trigger vs a match, 2-stage trigger, etc.

2) The buffer and receiver extension used from Armalite on their factory AR-10 carbines is NOT compatible with other stocks on the aftermarket. Specifically, the Armalite AR-10 carbine receiver extension and buffer are proprietary. The Armalite-specific tube is longer and while you can put any AR-15 collapsible stock body on the tube, it will NOT collapse all the way bc of the additional length of the tube. You can, however, run any AR-15 collapsible stock (including the AR-15 receiver extension/buffer tube) on an AR-10, but you will need to get a specific, shortened buffer of the AR-10's required weight but with a shorter OAL to work in the shorter AR-15 tube. See here: http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

3) Triggers are, by in large, the same across the AR-10 and AR-15 platforms, however, depending on the ammo you shoot from the rifle, you may need a slightly stronger hammer spring with SOME AR-15 triggers to properly set off some military primers which tend to be tougher than their civilian/commercial counterparts. This is generally a non-issue, but YMMV.

Re: Armalite AR-10 A4 vs AR-10T carbine?

Thanks! That was the info I was looking for. I think the AR-10T carbine is what I'm looking for.