• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite AR 10 accuracy

Re: Armalite AR 10 accuracy

Armalite guarantees all of their AR-10T rifles for 1MOA which is usually an understatement. With a good shooter and good ammo, they are sub-MOA capable rifles. The rifle is quite capable...the other end of the equation is up to you!!
wink.gif

I have the same rifle, the smallest group I have shot is a 5 shot .392 at 100 yards, but it is much more common to put them about .750

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if that rifle is old stock. The current ones are 20" barrels. That stock number, 10TBN doesn't show on Armalites website either. That said, with match ammo or handloads, probably .5 to .75" </div></div>

Yeah the 24" barrel is what sold me on it. I couldnt find that particular model listed on Armalite website.

BTW what is the diameter on the muzzle end, anybody know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're in a state that allows high cap mags, the generation 2 mags solve those issues. </div></div>

Also, Armalite offers the Gen 2 mags in 5 and 10 round capacities. Just throwing some more info out there.

The Gen II mags are absolutely THE way to go. Since this rifle is possibly NOS, you will need to check the bolt catch and mags that come with it to ensure that it is equipped with the new catch and ready to use the Gen II mags. Here are some addt'l details on that issue:

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20No...200%20Final.pdf

My guess is, unless this particular rifle is REALLY old, that you will already have the updated catch/mags since Armalite began the switch over to the new units back in 2006.

The AR-10T that I had was a carbon steel 24 barrel and it shot .4's with Federal Gold 168's. Should not have sold it. I now have a custom Armalite in 7mm-08 with a ABS Carbon wrapped barrel and float tube that Mike Degenerous (sorry Mike on the spelling) built for me. Granted, it is a custom rig, but Mike used a Rock barrel for the wrap and it shoots great. I have toyed with the idea of selling it, but it was built for a hunting rifle long before the AR hunting craze even existed.

Picked up the AR10 from Buds today. Not exactly what I ordered. It had a 20" barrel instead of a 26" and the handguards were aluminum instead of fiberglass. But I did get a better deal because of it. Heres a Link to the rifle .

Probably work up a couple of different loads in 168 SMKs and 175 Bergers over the weekend. Take it out to the range sometime next week.

I have an Armalite AR-10(T) 16" carbine .308, and a AR-10(TU) .300 Remington short Ultra-Mag. Both are accurate, and the (TU) is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> accurate for a semi. Last May I posted my best group with 190 gr. handloads, 1.75" at 847 yards (1/2 mile) Bone stock 24" barrel.
If you are making your new rifle a target / bench shooter I would stick to the plan of a 24" barrel.
Sometimes the semi's need some break-in time to cycle perfectly and get your best groups. So be patient, there are a lot of moving parts that have to learn to get along with each other.

I payed a lower than advertised price for the current model. They definately made it right or else I would have never took it home. A+ for Bud's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClayDirt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I payed a lower than advertised price for the current model. They definately made it right or else I would have never took it home. A+ for Bud's. </div></div>

That is par for the course with Bud's! They are always willing to take care of customers and make things right if they go a little off course. I have dealt with them several times and have always been pleased.

The Ultra-Mag is pretty rare. I do not think Armalite produced it for more than a year. Nice rifle with the extended length gas system. How's the recoil?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Armalite AR-10(T) 16" carbine .308, and a AR-10(TU) .300 Remington short Ultra-Mag. Both are accurate, and the (TU) is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> accurate for a semi. Last May I posted my best group with 190 gr. handloads, 1.75" at 847 yards (1/2 mile) Bone stock 24" barrel.
If you are making your new rifle a target / bench shooter I would stick to the plan of a 24" barrel.
Sometimes the semi's need some break-in time to cycle perfectly and get your best groups. So be patient, there are a lot of moving parts that have to learn to get along with each other.
</div></div>

Buds is GTG, bought two or three weapons from them over the years as well as a scope inside their store.

Claydirt, it sounds like they took good care of you which is par for the course.
Nice weapon by the way.
Don't forget to fill out your profile ( Where you are from).
You will be asked to do this until it's filled out.
.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silver78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ultra-Mag is pretty rare. I do not think Armalite produced it for more than a year. Nice rifle with the extended length gas system. How's the recoil?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... AR-10(TU) .300 Remington short Ultra-Mag. ...the (TU) is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> accurate for a semi. Last May I posted my best group with 190 gr. handloads, 1.75" at 847 yards (1/2 mile) Bone stock 24" barrel... </div></div> </div></div>
The Ultra Mag bucked around quite a bit with the 180 & especially the 190 grainers at 2910 fps.
It was difficult to shoot using a bipod since it was some work to get it back on target. I put a muzzle brake on it and it tamed it consideraby. I prefer to shoot off a bag, but now I can shoot off of either.
WARDOG847yds40.jpg

Wardog, that is some good shootin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buds is GTG, bought two or three weapons from them over the years as well as a scope inside their store.

Claydirt, it sounds like they took good care of you which is par for the course.
Nice weapon by the way.
Don't forget to fill out your profile ( Where you are from).
You will be asked to do this until it's filled out.
.....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Claydirt is from KY....

I just purchased an AR10T 10TBN (24"barrel) from Bud's. Its is supposed to be here Friday. I wonder if I am getting a 24" or a 20"? (10TBNF) They had 10TBN on the Bud's site advertised but like you said nothing like that on the Armalite site. Cant wait to see what I get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Armalite AR-10(T) 16" carbine .308, and a AR-10(TU) .300 Remington short Ultra-Mag. Both are accurate, and the (TU) is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> accurate for a semi. Last May I posted my best group with 190 gr. handloads, 1.75" at 847 yards (1/2 mile) Bone stock 24" barrel.
</div></div>

What do you run through the 16 inch T carbine?
I just finished one and am trying to decide on a load to start with.

Thanks!
Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silver78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Ultra-Mag is pretty rare. I do not think Armalite produced it for more than a year. Nice rifle with the extended length gas system. How's the recoil?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... AR-10(TU) .300 Remington short Ultra-Mag. ...the (TU) is <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> accurate for a semi. Last May I posted my best group with 190 gr. handloads, 1.75" at 847 yards (1/2 mile) Bone stock 24" barrel... </div></div> </div></div>
The Ultra Mag bucked around quite a bit with the 180 & especially the 190 grainers at 2910 fps.
It was difficult to shoot using a bipod since it was some work to get it back on target. I put a muzzle brake on it and it tamed it consideraby. I prefer to shoot off a bag, but now I can shoot off of either.
WARDOG847yds40.jpg
</div></div>

Hell yes that's awesome shooting and I know what you mean about it "bucking" around a bit. PRI adjustable gas block and a suppressor brought recoil back down into what I feel is "semi 308" status

I got mine put together (built a new lower for the <span style="font-weight: bold">used</span> upper) last year and run it suppressed with a PRI adjustable block and she put this group together with 210 VLDs at 1150yds. My best at distance (with it and them) so far.
I had equally good results with the 185 and 190 VLDs but didn't progress beyond 100yd load development since the 210's shot as well at distance.
One thing about it, the Armalite's 300 SAUM is a shooter.
The 300 Ultra SASS

10179.jpg

some very good shooting indeed, far better then i could do. Now im wishing i had more like a hundred acres instead of eleven so i could play too .

Well I got the 10TBNF with the 20" barrel. Not the 10 TBN 24" barrel Buds had advertised. I have told them about it and am waiting for a reply. They need to be accurate at what they are representing when people order and spend their hard earned money.

24" barrel has not been offered by Armilite for quite some time now. So I was told by cus. service. I wanted one for my rifle but couldn't buy one from the factory.

Here's mine ... I am not an experienced LR shooter but the first time out I was able to shoot this 4 shot group at 100 yards. I have since added a muzzle brake and a Geissele trigger but otherwise it is pretty much a stock piece.

DSCN0753.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

BTW ... I can't stop looking at that sig video up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have an AR-10T with the 24" Lothar Walther Barrel and it will do .5 MOA all day long with 168 GMM at 200 yards. I have only ever shot it out to 400 yards, but even at that range with a calm day I was still shooting 10 shot groups I could cover with my palm. If I was going to go further then that I would probably step up to the 175 GMM.

At some point I am going to get another upper built by GAP in 260 rem with a rock barrel and then find a 1000 yard stretch of land to shoot on.

So these won't take pmags or even erroneous running them with modded m1 mags?