• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite AR/10 in .260 Rem

jwolf

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Anyone have experiance with this gun? My local gun shop has one coming in next week. I have first dibbs on it. I can buy it for $1725 out the door. I guess that is a fair price given the current buying frenzy. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the mags can take Berger VLDs close to the lands. My guess is not. I shoot 140gr. in my 6.5X284 bolt gun. It's a long action so the mag is fairly long.

If I were you, I would pass on this. I would save some more money and look at a custom regardless of the wait. IF it is an A model, rather than B model it might be worth it. And I say that only to have something due to pending legislation. I have no experience with an Armalite in .260 but do have one of their .308s. To put it kindly, in .308 they give it a generous chamber. You're not getting one of the best triggers, you're probably not getting anything but an A2 stock. The barrel probably isn't threaded. You're not getting a chamber cut to what you want to work with. If you stop and add up what all those extras end up costing you, it's easy to see getting something else that comes with a better accuracy guarantee is a better idea. BO,CO

They dont do a A and B in the 260 guns. I dont know about the VLDs but a lot of people shoot 142 match kings and the like with decent results.

It probably wont shoot as well as a GAP10 but that is normal for a gun that costs 1000 dollars less or more

They dont do a A and B in the 260 guns. I dont know about the VLDs but a lot of people shoot 142 match kings and the like with decent results.

It probably wont shoot as well as a GAP10 but that is normal for a gun that costs 1000 dollars less or more

They actually do, do a B ~ http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.as...Category=f4bd4a13-55d1-41aa-aea0-49488ec48776

I've both an Armalite in the B and A models -- The A was a terrible shooter and I actually sold it off -- The B is a sub 1/2 MOA from 100 shooter and the only "issue" is that you have to use their mags...

I'd say go for it -- Just keep in mind you can't run out and buy Pmags whenever you want to use in these.

It is a B model. I think I will get it. I have a Savage 260 barrel to put on my LRPV, so I was going to gear up for that caliber any way. I have a Stag H7 in 6.8 & a Bushmaster Predator in .223. The .223 is a 1/2 moa gun but the 6.8 so far is showing just over 1". I bought the 6.8 for hogs & use the .223 for coyotes. I was wanting the .260 for long range steel. Thanks for all the input.

I would personally get it. I've owned 5 different AR10's/DPMS's/Custom GA Precision rifles, and I feel that the .260 Rem and AR10 action were built for each other.

When I saw the new Armalite AR10 in .260 Rem at 2012 SHOT, it looked pretty sweet, and had a Douglas select match 22" stainless barrel.

I had GA Precision build my last .260 Rem AR using a Bartlein, and I have zero issues loading the 130gr VLD, 140gr AMAX, 140gr VLD, 139gr Scenar, 142gr SMK, and 140gr Match Burner. All those pills will load fine in my rifle at 2.800" SAAMI, with plenty of bearing surface/shank ahead of the neck, and the gun shoots.

H4350 and RL17 are great powders for the .260 Rem with the 130-140gr VLD-type bullets, and I get 2850fps from my 22" barrel with the 130gr VLD's, and 2700fps with RL17 with the 140 and 142gr, with sub-MOA groups easy. Best groups have been .4" for 5-shots.

Thanks for the info. I just put her in the safe. Now to find brass. Got plenty of bullets, primers & powder. I gues I could resize some. I have about 300 7mm08 & 400 .243 once fired which I don't have rifles for anymore. Thanks again for the input. I'm going to blame you guys if my wife finds it!!

Jwolf,

Have you shot the rifle yet? Did your wife find it? I am on the fence with the Armalite AR-10T or ordering a GAP-10 in .260 Rem.

I found a great deal on a Armalite AR-10T in .260 Rem so I bought it. It is shooting season here in AK and 10 mos was to long wait for the GAP-10. I will post pics after I get her set up. I am a big fan of the .260 Rem and agree with LRRPF52 that H4350 and RL17 are the go to powders for the .260 Rem.

My 7mm-08 brass has served me well as .260 brass. I have it and lots of Lapua brass, which has less case capacity so you do need to work up loads for the different brass.

I think the Armalite bolt carrier group is especially more appropriate for .260 Rem because of the spring-loaded firing pin. I have already replaced 2 firing pin retaining pins that have been damaged by .260 Rem pressures, which have significant backthrust on the floating firing pin design found in the Stoner/DMPS guns.

I rarely put more than 5 rounds in my 20rd PMAGs, unless in a field-type team Sniper Competition, so 5 and 10-round mags are more appropriate in the .260 Rem gas gun. There was one stage in FinnSniper 2010 where we had a run-and-gun portion in a meandering draw, that slowly led up a hill to a firing position that went into a target detection and engagement challenge where I used the .260 AR10 admirably and my capacity to have 20rds in the gun.

I would have no qualms about owning the Armalite with either receiver set. I'm actually looking forward to the new Magpul 10rd 7.62 PMAGs specifically for my .260 Rem.