• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite AR-10 Lower compatibility

sheepdog697

RegionRat
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    I have a gen 1 armalite ar10, im considering switching it out to be able to use the 308 pmags. Can i switch out my gen 1 lower for a gen 2 lower, and have all the parts be compatible? Thanks in advance.

No. Simple as that. Kinda...

It is not the Gen 1 vs Gen 2 issue. It is the B model (ORIGINAL DESIGN from 1996) vs the A model (NEWER VERSION).

The A model ARMALITE rifles use the 1950's ARMALITE mags, KAC, PMAG, LARUE TACTICAL yada...

I've got a couple of older AR10s and thought it might be easy swap onto one of the newer lowers. Can't remember what the issue was but everything I found said no go.

This is why I don't build 7.62AR's --nothing is spec. Nobody is held to stringent bare minimum.

I farted around with a few 7.62's. I had a knockoff G3, got rid of it the first time I fired it. I got an FAL I figured I could accurize, I made it a bit better, it's good for 1.5-2MOA and has a 2 stage trigger. Lots of mags, spare parts, etc. Cerakoted. It has the FAL Elcan 7.62 optic Canada uses. It has a Steyr barrel, the best FAL barrel made. It's a folder but I have another lower with a PRS stock. I ended up with enough in this rifle to have bought a new KAC 7.62 SR25, and I'll never be able to sell it for what I have in it. But at least I DO have one of the best FAL's in existence.

So when I got serious about a more accurate 7.62, I looked into building because I build all my own AR's and they're phenomenal. But this part wouldn't work, that one wouldn't fit this one and you can only use these mags in that, etc., etc. I said fuck it. First off, I had all AR tools, but no AR10 tools, I'd have had to do it using blocks, and possibly buying more tools. When I had it all figured out, for the best rifle I could build, I'd be out at least a few thousand dollars.

So I called GAP, but they wouldn't make one change I really wanted even if I sent them the part. And they had long waits. Larue's OBR had a really long wait too. FN's new precision semi auto was supposed to come out in a year, but it never materialized (and I didn't wait on 'em). I opened a military account at KAC and I bought the 20" SR25 Keymod for $3500 I wanna say. I got the very nice cleaning kit and extra bolt parts along with ten extra mags and it all cost $4500 or so --which is about the MSRP for the rifle alone. I got the proper can for it, and I couldn't be happier.

The SR25 is worth saving for. Fully ambi, it's all built into the receiver, no parts hanging on the outside. Two selectors, one on each side, and each side has a mag release and bolt release. Keymod or Mlok, I went Keymod preferring the old FF rail but it grew on me. It has a SOPMOD stock, but it actually works pretty well with it, good cheekweld and it doesn't move at all. I may change that to a KAC fixed adj. stock anyway later on. The gas block, which indexes on the barrel and is held in place by a nut that threads on the barrel, and barrel itself are proprietary, as is the bolt and most of the lower parts. so not many AR10 parts will fit it, though you could swap an entire upper provided it fits. Barrels are all cut rifle, even the chrome lined 16" "combat" version. Suppressor is one the best all around made, great for this rifle. I'd seriously consider just saving up for one of these --it's a buy once, cry once deal. Totally worth it. The are guaranteed less than 1MOA (mine came with a .98 target, but with the right ammo after breaking in it's tighter than that). And it's a superbly well designed and executed rifle. Oh, and it comes in 6.5Creedmore now! Wish it did when I bought mine!

I was stoked to get it, I recall when SR25's weren't ambi, had regular AR10 type bolts, pin on gas blocks and a fiberglass FF tube --and were $10,000!