• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite bolt compatibility question

sheepdog697

RegionRat
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    Having an issue finding any information online. I have an armalite ar10 that is having extracting issues. It is basically double feeding. Ive tried all bullet weights from 147gr to 175gr. Still doing the same thing. So i was looking into purchasing a new bcg. However the armalite bcg is expensive and sold out almost everywhere i looked. Anyone have any other bcg suggestions that are "armalite ar10" compatible?

Thanks,
    Sheepdog697

Is it actually double feeding? As in, spent cartridge is extracted and ejected and two cartridges are stripped from the magazine? Or is the spent cartridge sitting in the receiver while the next round is being chambered? These are two distinctly different failure modes..

Double feed as in "live round in chamber with another live round pushed against it by carrier group?" If so, I'd be looking at gas volume and then buffer and spring.

Double feeding as in, its pulling back the spent cartridge and re feeding the empty brass with a new live round from the magazine. I have not changed the extractor yet, because after inspecting it appears to be in working order.

However, I think my first course of action will be to order the armalite ar10 parts kit, and go ahead and just swap out the extractor and ejector.

Double feeding as in, its pulling back the spent cartridge and re feeding the empty brass with a new live round from the magazine. I have not changed the extractor yet, because after inspecting it appears to be in working order.

However, I think my first course of action will be to order the armalite ar10 parts kit, and go ahead and just swap out the extractor and ejector.

Sounds like what mine did. Couldn't make it through a mag without 4 or 5 failures. Change the extractor and spring before you spend too much.

Last edited:
    Your issue is a failure to eject, not feed related. What does the brass look like? Case rim deformed from the extractor at all?

Start with the extractor. The corners on many of the 308 extractors I've seen are very sharp and may not be consistently letting go of the brass when the ejector would try to kick it out. I've had this problem (persistent fte when the rifle is appropriately gassed, no signs of overpressure, everything appears to be in working order, etc) and it went away after lightly knocking down the corners on the extractor. No clue if that's what's going on, just a possibility to throw out there.

So today i took out the ar10. My buddy has an armalite ar10 as well. We switched bolts to see if that was the issue. His ran flawless in mine, and mine ran flawless in his. For some reason my bolt does not like my upper. VERY WEIRD.

Of course, ive spent the last hour searching the internet for an in stock "armalite 308 bcg" and there are none to be found. Looks like ill have to wait until one comes back in stock.

They are bot 10T models i believe. the only difference is i still have the a2 stock on mine, so i have the longer buffer, and he has a collapsible stock with a h3 buffer.

So you think if i chance the extractor and spring, that could fix the issue, even though my bcg ran fine in my buddies?

I'd definitely at least replace the springs/insert/o-ring on the extractor and probably the extractor itself before going too crazy.
    I've owned 2 Armalite ar10s. Both needed the extractors replaced. Idk if it was a bad angle on it or what but they'd leave the spent casing laying on top of the mag and of course it would jam up.
    You'd probably be doing yourself a favor to install an adjustable gas block as well. Every 308 ar I've ever owned has been horribly overgassed which makes it that much harder on the extractor.

I'd contact Armalite. At the worst they'll ask you to send it in and have them fix it.

An entirely new BCG may not even fix your problem if it's a chamber issue.

I'd contact Armalite. At the worst they'll ask you to send it in and have them fix it.

An entirely new BCG may not even fix your problem if it's a chamber issue.

If I remember right I gave them serial numbers and described the issue I was having and they sent me new extractors.