• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite or DPMS 308?

6.8 bushmaster. scrap or ?

i have factory bushmaster 6.8 spc carbine. i dont really think i need the caliber...it was an impulse buy. thinking of getting an ar10 and going to a 5.56 ar build...open to ideas

Re: 6.8 bushmaster. scrap or ?

I try to ask again. What are you planning to do with that rifle?

DPMS upper and lower with a Krieger barrel is my vote on the 308.

If you are looking to only shoot out to a 300-400 yds, stay with the 6.8, however if you want to reach out a little further, then step up to the 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS Hands down--excellent quality, lower price. </div></div>There's a reason they have a lower price and it's not excellent quality. Armalite uppers and lowers are forged and held together with larger pins. Oversized match pins are available for a custom fit. DPMS uppers and lowers are machined billet and use AR15 sized pins. No where near as strong. Armalite fit and finish is as good as it gets. DPMS's factory triggers suck. Depending on which rifle you buy, Armalites can come with two stage tactical, or National Match triggers. The T series Armalite uses a stainless Lothar Walther barrel and will shoot sub moa. The CM steel barrels on their standard carbines and rifles are chrome lined. Not so on DPMS. Armalite has a better magazine and feed system, and although the BCG will inteercahnge, the Armalite has a better bolt design. Armalite also has a lifetime guarantee if you buy through them, and great customer service.
If you're going to build one from parts and use aftermarket trigger and barrel, the only real differences are the uppers and lowers. They'll both serve you fine, but if you're thinking of buying one complete, consider the differences I mentioned.

steelcomp is dead on about the factory trigger in the DPMS. They are not good at all. I have used some of the two stage and National Match triggers, and while they are a significant improvement over the DPMS factory, even they don't compare to the higher end triggers out there. But if you want one of those, you will certainly pay for it also.

It's true that you get what you pay for, but at the same time, the pins will not break unless you flat out throw the rifle off a building, the LR-308 I got is in fact chrome lined, the trigger on the armalite I would have changed out anyways for the geiselle, mag feed and bolt function are excellent on the rifle I got, and the lifetime warranty is a hassle to fulfill and will serve you no good if the barrel wears out, as really this is the most expensive fix. Short of the receiver cracking (not gonna happen), it's not worth the hassle--might as well buy the parts and fix it yourself.

Ok so yes if you want a rugged service rifle and are willing to shell out the extra $$$ for the armalite name, warrenty, and bigger pins, and want to leave your trigger as-is, then armalite is the best choice.

If you want a rifle you're just taking to the range or hunting and are going to baby, and if you want to pay a whole lot less, then DPMS is the gun. Though do make sure to check if the barrel is chrome lined and plan on getting a much better trigger later on.

To each their own!

I realize that the OP didn't ask about them, but how does the RRA .308 compare to Armalite & DPMS models? I undestand they use FAL mags, which are cheap (comparatively speaking).