• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armaspec AR-10 Stealth Recoil Spring Problems

mxjoe35

Owner of Match Proven Rifles
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2019
    Suwanee, GA
    matchprovenrifles.com
    So I am running a rifle length buffer, with the Armaspec AR10 Stealth Recoil Spring and spacer. I was having problems with it not going all the way into battery or maybe it went in and bounced out!? But I was getting lite primer strikes randomly. I tried a different bolt, same problem. I removed the buffer retainer pin to allow it to put more pressure on the BCG, same problem. I know you can get shims, but the buffer actually sticks out further than the stock buffer, so it shouldn't need shimmed. Any idea what is going on? FYI when I put the stock buffer and flat wire spring into the rifle, it runs like a champ!

Attachments

• 20240128_201800.jpg
      20240128_201800.jpg
      426.3 KB · Views: 63
    • 20240128_201438.jpg
      20240128_201438.jpg
      423.9 KB · Views: 56
    If you have a postage scale or similar, I would recommend weighing the Armaspec…just to rule out incorrect buffer weight!

If the stock buffer weight works and rifle cycles properly…that is the weight your rifle needs for a buffer weight, to balance the gas vs. mass and allow the rifle to properly cycle.

Reactions: mettee
    It would require me to disassemble the Armaspec buffer system, which I don't really want to do. I am just going off of their website, which says equivalent weight of 5.7 ounces. The rifle when it fires cycles properly. It ejects at 3 oclock, just like the other buffer. When I pull the charging handle it feels similar in resistance, maybe even a little more. Because I thought the spring may be under powered and it allowed the bolt to bounce out and not keep it in battery. But it has good resistance. So I am not sure!?

I'm assuming that you're running the matching Aero upper, but I'd still check that the tail of the carrier is centered on the head of the SRS buffer. Also, look for any guide rod interference inside the bore of the carrier.

FYI when I put the stock buffer and flat wire spring into the rifle, it runs like a champ!
    Just ditch the gucci parts and run this. KISS

If the buffer retainer is correctly positioned, it should never contact the buffer when the gun is assembled. Therefore removing it would not have any effect on the buffer going into battery. If the buffer is in contact with the carrier when in battery, that's all it can do and no amount of imaginary re-positioning can make it work better. The purpose of the internal buffer weights being able to move is to give the BCG a secondary followup tap after returning it to battery. This helps alleviate any bolt bounce.

ETA: It ain't just the WEIGHT of the buffer that does the work, but that second 'forward assist" from the internal weights helps as well. I don't know anything of the Armaspec buffer, but if there are no moving weights inside that may well be your problem. JMO and worth every penny you paid for it

Reactions: mettee
    I'm assuming that you're running the matching Aero upper, but I'd still check that the tail of the carrier is centered on the head of the SRS buffer. Also, look for any guide rod interference inside the bore of the carrier.
    I am running an Aero upper and lower. I will check to see if there is any interference. It seems to cycle smoothly when I pull the charging handle, but I need to do some more testing.

Just ditch the gucci parts and run this. KISS

If the buffer retainer is correctly positioned, it should never contact the buffer when the gun is assembled. Therefore removing it would not have any effect on the buffer going into battery. If the buffer is in contact with the carrier when in battery, that's all it can do and no amount of imaginary re-positioning can make it work better. The purpose of the internal buffer weights being able to move is to give the BCG a secondary followup tap after returning it to battery. This helps alleviate any bolt bounce.

ETA: It ain't just the WEIGHT of the buffer that does the work, but that second 'forward assist" from the internal weights helps as well. I don't know anything of the Armaspec buffer, but if there are no moving weights inside that may well be your problem. JMO and worth every penny you paid for it
    No I get it, what you say is all legitimate! I just wanted to try on because guys swear by them. JP has made a killing of of theirs and JP makes quality stuff. But I will be damned if I can get this thing to work. I will keep tinkering, but for now it's my David Tubbs flat wire spring!

Reactions: mtrmn