• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armorer's tools for AR-15

Wheeler makes an entire "AR Armorers" kit for <$200 if I remember.

Top tier? Probably not.

"Essential" for when you need it? Probably.

My idea of an essentials toolkit is one you can easily have with or at least real near you at any given moment. The reality, though, is that you can replace the military grade stuff that might fail with your fingers and a piece of brass. Trigger parts, bolt parts...and those are all small enough to carry spares of inside the butt stock or maybe the pistol grip...or in a fag bag on your hip.

I don't carry spare parts around with me but I do carry some tools.

I agree with the above for the most part, I believe your best bet is to go to Brownells and get something like the Real Avid master kit that comes with pretty much everything you would need.

Or you can peruse Brownells and get stuff piecemeal but the above kit would probably work just fine for the hobbyist and DIYer.

It's honestly best to just peace it together. I would start off with these, and don't cheap out on them.

Bench Vise

Standard Punch Set

Roll Pin Punch set and Roll pin starter punch.

Armors wrench and hammer.

JP universal vise clamp

AR15/AR10 Vise Block (Real Avid makes a decent one)

Gas Block assembly Jig

Ft- LBS Torque Wrench

In-Lbs Torque Wrench

Crowfoot Flare Nut Wrench Set

Reaction Rod for AR15/AR10

Bolt disassembly Tool.

Everything else you can pick up at your local hardware store.

It's honestly best to just peace it together. I would start off with these, and don't cheap out on them.

Bench Vise

Standard Punch Set

Roll Pin Punch set and Roll pin starter punch.

Armors wrench and hammer.

JP universal vise clamp

AR15/AR10 Vise Block (Real Avid makes a decent one)

Gas Block assembly Jig

Ft- LBS Torque Wrench

In-Lbs Torque Wrench

Crowfoot Flare Nut Wrench Set

Reaction Rod for AR15/AR10

Bolt disassembly Tool.

Everything else you can pick up at your local hardware store.
That's what I'm trying to figure out, what companies sell the quality tools. I'm familiar with automotive work,and woodworking, so I know what the quality tools are and where to buy them, but building ARs is new to me so aside from general tools like, bit drivers, screwdrivers etc, I need to know who makes the best specialized tools.

Start with a good vice attached to a good bench/work surface.

I don't use any hammers or punches. But the action rods are a must have. Torque wrench is good to have with varrying barrel nut tools to suit what ever you are working on. I do barrel nut torque by feel now but if you want to make sure get a torque wrench.

Good Allen wrenches, a torch possibly, loctite red and blue, etc.

Reactions: kurt.w.andrews
I just started another thread but I found this today and some other handy tools to keep around.

I just started another thread but I found this today and some other handy tools to keep around.

I just bought this thing which has that and more stuff built in. I haven't used it yet it's so new but seems decent.

you don't need that, don't waste your money

Which companies make the best quality armorer's/Gunsmithing tools to build AR-15s? I'm trying to put together an essentials tool kit.
Pretty hard to get all that you need from any one manufacturer .

Also depends on how for you want to go on the list of possibilities.

MM
@MontanaMan nailed it. You won't be able to get all of the best tools from 1 company. For example, the best armorer's wrench I've used is my Magpul armorer's wrench. And either a Geissele Reaction Rod, or Real Avid reaction rod are a must-have. You will also need at least a good Wilton 4" bench vise. One tool I cannot recommend enough, is if you're building standard forged lowers, where you press in the trigger guard roll pin, get yourself a Wheeler Engineering Trigger Guard Install Tool. Don't try to hammer it in, you can break one of the flanges if you're not careful, or if you have the pin in crooked, or miss and hit the receiver. They are NOT very thick flanges.

One tool I cannot recommend enough, is if you're building standard forged lowers, where you press in the trigger guard roll pin, get yourself a Wheeler Engineering Trigger Guard Install Tool. Don't try to hammer it in, you can break one of the flanges if you're not careful, or if you have the pin in crooked, or miss and hit the receiver. They are NOT very thick flanges.

You are right that tool is awesome and it comes in this set which has some great AR punches.

f you're only buying one I find the Midwest Industries reaction rod the most functional hands down. The "sail" on it helps prevent clocking of the barrel extension in the upper. It's also less expensive than the Geissele.
100% agree

I have most of the Wheeler punch sets and I’ll say the Avid Accupunch Master set is much nicer and all in one. Like a lot of the Avid stuff

Last edited:
I favor the design of MWI as well. Surprised KAC and Geissele did not incorporate the sail profile.
Geissele's and TechCo's receiver extension blocks are pretty handy as well. The extension on the TechCo allows the
lower to remain perfectly square with the receiver extension while tightening / torquing the castle nut.

IMG_4862 copy.jpg
IMG_4018A copy.jpg
IMG_7808TechCo LLC AR 15 Receiver Extension Jig 07.17.23 copy.jpg
IMG_7810TechCo LLC AR 15 Receiver Extension Jig 07.17.23 copy.jpg
IMG_7811TechCo LLC AR 15 Receiver Extension Jig 07.17.23 copy.jpg
IMG_7818TechCo LLC AR 15 Receiver Extension Jig 07.17.23 copy.jpg
IMG_7815TechCo LLC AR 15 Receiver Extension Jig 07.17.23A copy.jpg
IMG_8951KAC SR-25 Receiver Extension Buffer Tube Removal Blind Split Pin Removal Geissele Reac...jpg

For trigger guard installations you can use small hardware store brass plumbing fittings or Delrin drilled with a few relief holes which essentially are small bench blocks, Grade 8 bolt / nut being adjustable in height ; tape protect the brass before using. Need a proper sized roll pin holder starter punch as well. Receivers with coatings will almost always have reduced sized pin holes; chamfer the leading pin edge, use a little grease on the pin hole, cold blue the pin end after installation.

IMG_3073.JPG
IMG_3074.JPG
IMG_3075.JPG
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3083.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG
DSCN0188a copy.jpg
IMG_2599 copy.jpg

Gunsmith Roll Pin Chamfering to Ease Installation MJD copy.JPG

Last edited:
How do you install the bolt catch? How do you install the forward assist?
I still use a roll pin starter punch for the trigger guard, FA and bolt stop pins to get them started. But I press them the rest of the way with a 10" Knipex pliers wrench with some tape on the jaws. I've done it for gas tube pins as well.

That's what I'm trying to figure out, what companies sell the quality tools. I'm familiar with automotive work,and woodworking, so I know what the quality tools are and where to buy them, but building ARs is new to me so aside from general tools like, bit drivers, screwdrivers etc, I need to know who makes the best specialized tools.
Check out Classified Defense.

How do you install the bolt catch? How do you install the forward assist?

Knipex cobra with one soft jaw. And for recessed lowers I have a pin hole drilled on one jaw. A couple quick safe squeezes and the roll pin is in. These are the chrome version with the smooth faces and linear jaw movement.

Last edited:
If you 3d print..a lot of the jigs for pins, gas blocks, etc. can be made for cheap/free.

Tekton for the punches on my end, snagged their gunsmith set on clearance for 60% off, and they'll replace any broken ones for a lifetime.

the old tapco wrench is my favorite as far as armorer wrenches go..and midwest industries reaction rod.

As others have said, you'll likely be better off piecing together your set than buying a premade one.

Recently modified that above mentioned TechCo reaction block as it had no flexibility to adjust the width of various AR lower grip tang widths.
This new Arizona Ranger M4 lower was cerakoted, undoubtedly the root cause for being a few thousandths out of spec., but surprised the tool jig designer did not incorporate a simple method to accommodate tolerance variations. So, the jig grip tang element was 0.3775" of internal space; the M4 grip tang was .03880". Probably could have tapped into the jig at the expense of ruining the cerakote on the grip tang, albeit would never be seen by the judging public. Milled the jig to 0.050" width, the receiver extension jig will secure the lower perfectly square and with some polymer set screws to abut the grip tang for additional stability during use. Now the M4 at hand and for future projects this will not be an issue. Also an excuse to use my new set of Noga internal de-burring tools.

IMG_8730TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8731TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8734TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8735TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8736TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8737TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8739TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8741TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8747TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8748TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8750TechCo Receiver Extension Block Width Modification  09.24.23 copy.jpg

IMG_8746 copy.jpg

Musing on the lathe today. Fabricated a quick-reference guide gauge for AR carbine / rifle buffer spring lengths. I have observed some AR gunsmiths apply an adhesive measuring tape to the work bench, others take a yard stick for reference. Used 3/8" 6061 aluminum round stock to fabricate a 15" OAL gauge, creating precision Go-NoGo color coded zones for the two common spring lengths.

IMG_8812AR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8818AR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8819AR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8821AR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8823AR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8829AAR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8830AAR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8837AAR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy.jpg
IMG_8839AAR 15 BUFFER CARBINE RIFLE SPRING LENGTH GAUGE MJD FABRICATION 10.01.23 copy 2.jpg

Musing on the lathe today. Fabricated a quick-reference guide gauge for AR carbine / rifle buffer spring lengths. I have observed some AR gunsmiths apply an adhesive measuring tape to the work bench, others take a yard stick for reference. Used 3/8" 6061 aluminum round stock to fabricate a 15" OAL gauge, creating precision Go-NoGo color coded zones for the two common spring lengths.

View attachment 8239611View attachment 8239612View attachment 8239613View attachment 8239614View attachment 8239615View attachment 8239616View attachment 8239617View attachment 8239618View attachment 8239620
Sweet!