• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARMS #22 ring surprise

bill_van

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2012
After 15+ years, on a set of ARMS #22 low rings, 2 of the socket head cap screws popped off on the same side. (Rear ring left side) They were torqued 12-14 in/lbs, had no corrosion, just failed for no apparent reason. Clean break right at the head. Installed on a DSArms SA58 semi in .308 which really doesn't see much use.... found the head in the bottom of the safe and the second was still in the recess of the upper ring.

Curious as I've never seen any scope ring screw fail like this. Before the haters start, other than this screw failure the #22 ring set has performed beyond expectations and actually returned pretty close to zero after removal and re-mount. They appear to be 6-40 5/16" with a 7/64" drive.

After 15+ years, on a set of ARMS #22 low rings, 2 of the socket head cap screws popped off on the same side. (Rear ring left side) They were torqued 12-14 in/lbs, had no corrosion, just failed for no apparent reason. Clean break right at the head. Installed on a DSArms SA58 semi in .308 which really doesn't see much use.... found the head in the bottom of the safe and the second was still in the recess of the upper ring.

Curious as I've never seen any scope ring screw fail like this. Before the haters start, other than this screw failure the #22 ring set has performed beyond expectations and actually returned pretty close to zero after removal and re-mount. They appear to be 6-40 5/16" with a 7/64" drive.
Overall would you say these are worth getting over ARC Mbrace rings? I love my ARC rings I have on another rifle. Heard some off-putting things on the ARMS #22's like the levers are prone to breaking, having to be lapped to mount/fit correctly, etc.

Overall would you say these are worth getting over ARC Mbrace rings? I love my ARC rings I have on another rifle. Heard some off-putting things on the ARMS #22's like the levers are prone to breaking, having to be lapped to mount/fit correctly, etc.
There almost aren't any other rings that suck as much as ARMS. They are cast pot metal pretty much.

I'm doing a clone build but more research is finding out just how bad a lot of the OG parts are in today's standard. Lowest bidder wins at it's finest I guess lol.

copy that - if you are going hard clone it needs to be the ARMS 22m. I have a mod0 that I use the also-seen-over-there Larue OBR mount on.

It does give a head high position while shooting, but it matches clip on nvg height.

Not going super hard on the clone. Scope is going to be different since the Leupolds aren't around anymore, lower/upper aren't colt. Just small differences here and there.