• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armslist just committed suicide

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    So now armslist wants to charge folks 3 bucks a month for a “personal premium” account just to be able to message a seller. I could even understand charging a small fee to list stuff, but to just ask a question now you have to pay. That is nuts
    bye bye
    I wonder how stupid you have to be to think that is a good idea.
    Heck, I remember when that site was a basic craigslist format without all the annoying ads and actually had a decent search function.

Anyway, thanks Frank for keeping the PX running in a reasonable format.

Definitely a great move. I mean, it does absolutely nothing to help with the site's worst problem (scammer sellers) and makes it more difficult for buyers and sellers to communicate (a fairly important competent of commerce), but it's likely to make the owners of the site a few more bucks before it croaks and dies.

I bought my rifle from someone on armslist several years ago so I guess I got in on some of the action before they augered themselves into the ground

I had to go look, yep, upgrade to ask a question. The dumbasses don't realize the scammers are the ones that need to be charged for stupid/crazy F/S adds?

I have sold & bought from members of AL, tying, but doable. But this move by AL?

Uh huh, abad move.

its the worst piece of shit website and its a scammers paradise, they have done nothing to create a community of transparency and trust - fuck them

I thought we were talking about gunsamerica when I see scammers...still aching over that HK that never came. F'ers.

I have picked up a couple nice rifles at great prices from armslist. Both were mailed to me sight unseen. Just have to phone the seller and visit for a while. You will know if the guy is legit.

For any kind of fee.......I’m out.

Reactions: Howland
    I hate to hear it, I've been able to sell on there for way more $ than I would get in trade or selling on most sites. There are some real winners there though you have to filter your email for some dumb stuff. I was on there a couple days ago and ended up having had a good conversation with someone selling an AK to pay vet bills.

Yeah.. our home forum is getting like 20 new members trying to sell their wares and failing to get responses. That's because we let you in, and we have to get to know you before we will participate.

We are a community and not a BST Site.... (And we dont' have the resources of the PX and size of the Hide).

Reactions: Bender
    I've visited Armslist a number of times. Always when someone here posts a link to an outrageous offer such as a $1200 sporterized Mosin-Nagant with a Tasco scope. Great entertainment. Hate to see them fold.

I've gotten solid deals on Armslist, mostly doing local trades.

LOL I just went over there and can't look at the stuff I had saved on my favorites unless I pay....they can get fucked.

I'll still use the site but only deal with sellers that post a contact e-mail and phone number on their listing.

I've gotten solid deals on Armslist, mostly doing local trades.

LOL I just went over there and can't look at the stuff I had saved on my favorites unless I pay....they can get fucked.

I'll still use the site but only deal with sellers that post a contact e-mail and phone number on their listing.
    I'm sure posting contact info will be a thing of the past soon.

I'm sure posting contact info will be a thing of the past soon.
    I thought about that, and I bet you're right but it will be hard to police.

If they do clamp down hard on contact info within the listings, then their suicide attempt will be successful

Reactions: black max
    Why the fuck don't they do what every other sane commerce website does - charge the seller to post? This would generate revenue and likely cut down on the scammer bullshit by about 98%.

I honestly like the local aspect of Armslist - it's been a good place to buy and sell stuff that doesn't necessarily make much sense to ship (inexpensive pistols, random ammo, reloading components, etc.). Just did a deal last week for a 22/45 Lite that left both the seller and I happy. But I'd dare say that about 80% of attempts to contact a non-dealer seller end up being a waste of time.

I'm all for it and just added the feature. I've never put my cell down on the listing. Best way to get a full on hoard of Ramada Inn or Insurance shit scams.

It does suck for the guy wanting to make a quick buck on selling something, but you will get less shit heads emailing you.

Armslist used to be great for a quick face to face local sale (never used it for anything other than inexpensive local stuff so I never had an issue of scams). But holy shit was it teeming with “I know you said no trades for your KAC Mags, but I’ll trade you my Condor plate carrier for them and include three real deal Mil-Spec USGI mags”

Gunbroker all day every day. I've literally never had a problem with a seller there.

Bought a whole one gun on Armslist, and that was over a decade ago. It was the only place I could find one of the very short run of Browning BPS Tactical. They haven't had anything I really wanted since.

Local? That's what the grocery store bulletin board is for.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Gunbroker all day every day. I've literally never had a problem with a seller there.

For the most part, no. But there are sellers that list shit cheap, then shill it up with a fake account from another state. It's almost impossible to prove but pretty easy to uncover. When EVERY rifle listed for $3200 from one dealer NEVER sells below $3500 and only have like two bids, well....

The PX here on the 'Hide is another good one. The influx of new members has made it so you gotta be a bit more savvy but still good. What I do is with new members or ones without any/much feedback, I make them ship first on trades --if I'm concerned I'll wait until I get it to ship out. Then I always give them stellar feedback if they come through like that.

With most of you guys that have been around forever and have feedback, hell, I'll send whatever out and you pay me when you got it. I trust you.

But that kind of thing is getting rarer these days. This site has always been a bit above and beyond though, far more of a community vs. just some random site full of random people.

Reactions: AManWearingAHat
    For the most part, no. But there are sellers that list shit cheap, then shill it up with a fake account from another state. It's almost impossible to prove but pretty easy to uncover. When EVERY rifle listed for $3200 from one dealer NEVER sells below $3500 and only have like two bids, well....

The PX here on the 'Hide is another good one. The influx of new members has made it so you gotta be a bit more savvy but still good. What I do is with new members or ones without any/much feedback, I make them ship first on trades --if I'm concerned I'll wait until I get it to ship out. Then I always give them stellar feedback if they come through like that.

With most of you guys that have been around forever and have feedback, hell, I'll send whatever out and you pay me when you got it. I trust you.

But that kind of thing is getting rarer these days. This site has always been a bit above and beyond though, far more of a community vs. just some random site full of random people.

I completely agree with you. The one caveat I've found with gun broker is you have to know what you're buying, its value, and watch it closely. Otherwise it is easy to get pimped by some unscrupulous seller bidding up his own auction. The point I was trying to make is that despite the final price of the auction the item has always been there. For me, I've always had a favorable outcome after doing my homework.

Bought a whole one gun on Armslist, and that was over a decade ago. It was the only place I could find one of the very short run of Browning BPS Tactical. They haven't had anything I really wanted since.

Local? That's what the grocery store bulletin board is for.
    I bought that exact shotgun, I believe it was only made in 2008.

Reactions: Redmanss
    I sent an email to Armslist and asked them to close my account. I doubt I will receive a reply but they will get the message.

Beside the fact I don't see me ever paying them to send a message.
    I will boycott the site on sheer principle. The entire firearms world inside these great United States is blowing up and the worst of this world's oxygen thiefs are doing what they can to profit from it. This is exactly what I'm guessing they chose now to start charging. I am however strengthened by the fact that this site, and its core have avoided such trappings. Kudos to each and every one of you that refuses to jack the price of something way out of what is acceptable and feed this machine that the left, and "Shoot em in the leg Joe" has started yet again.
    Yes some will surely say be a troll and say, free society, I'll do what I want as it's mine and scream capitalism.
    To those I say, yes you are partially correct and I served my country, and still do, to help fight for you and your rights to have your opinion, however wrong it may be.
    I also say to you, remember that it takes being a good neighbor and a better steward to keep this freedom ringing.
    Stepping off my soapbox now....

Hey, new to the site. I found this site looking for more information about new Armslist policies. A major lawsuit was recently filed against Armslist from a WI father who blames the death of his daughter on Armslist as a firearm was purchased by his daughter's abusive husband through Armslist and the daughter was killed the next day and the husband took his own life. How the hell that is Armslist fault is beyond me. I have completed many transactions through Armslist and met many good people in the process. I agree with E. Bryant about charging listing fees, but paying a monthly fee to ask a seller a question is ridiculous. I see no harm in monetizing their site to a certain extent to help cover cost, but I don't like the way they went about it... That being said, has anyone upgraded their account and started paying the monthly fees? It's $3.99 for ACH withdrawal and $6.99 for CC payments...anyone have any experience with granting ACH withdrawals? I know there is some protection when using a CC, but ACH seems a little sketchy to me. I may be wrong and it may be perfectly safe, but would like to get some thoughts on the matter. TIA