• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army Ditches Black Beret

Re: Army Ditches Black Beret

Took ten years for common sense to catch up. I'm happy for them, that beret was a joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now give the Rangers there black, back </div></div>

Why? I think tankers or some other MOS had black berets before the Rangers did.

The Rangers can keep the Khaki's, they can trace its lineage back to WW2 when the SAS that were training with them for the normandy invasion gave the Rangers their berets.
Shinseki was the former tanker and then General that wanted his guys to have berets and then made the whole army get them.

I think all the policy changes are a glimmer of hope for common sense. No more pin on has been a long time coming.

Berets and patrol both suck. The only headgear worthwhile in the field is the boonie, or sun hat as it's issued. It is the only headgear that protects the ears from sunburn as well as the neck and face.
The beret sucks in any color when in a hot ass climate. Bragg's maroon beret sucked, and that damned black one sucked when it was hot. If the Army had any common sense at all, it would get rid of all the nonhackers in every job, clean out the ranks of malingerers and whiners, and get back to the real business of Soldiering instead of baby sitting snot nosed little candy asses and panty waste's and other milquetoaste asshats.

Yeah, glad to be done with it, had more than my share of fun while in it, and now it's someone else's problem with what to do with all the whiners and cryers
grin.gif

Dang...once I'm out of the Army do they make good changes...multicam, now this? oh well...
smile.gif

The beret for the main force was silly and ill executed. I used to wonder why everyone hated thier black berets because my maroon was so comfortable, and told legs who was better. Then I transferred to a leg unit and I found out why. Its like a black torture devise and they arent even the same material as airborne berets.

The most important thing I got from this was the demise of pin on skill badges and sew on nametapes. Turns out my name and the army wont ever fucking change. and now I dont have to remove my skill badges to wash my tops...or repaint them when i forget. now if they can only make orderly room clerks and other office monkeys wear class Bs for daily use justice will be complete.

How long until someone starts pumping out the sew on skill badges, hopefully soon. Anyone find an early source yet?

For those interested, particularly those who continue to espouse false history on how the Rangers had "their" beret stolen, check out this link:
http://www.army.mil/features/beret/beret.htm

Quote from above link:<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black Beret. The tradition of wearing black berets began with armored units. In 1924 the British Royal Tank Regiment adopted the first modern military beret, based on the Scottish highland bonnet and French Bretonne beret. The regiment selected the headgear for its practicality--brimless for use with armored vehicle fire control sights and black to hide grease stains. In the US Army, HQDA policy from 1973 through 1979 permitted local commanders to encourage morale-enhancing distinctions, and Armor and Armored Cavalry personnel wore black berets as distinctive headgear until CSA Bernard W. Rogers banned all such unofficial headgear in 1979. Rangers received authorization through AR 670-5, Uniform and Insignia, 30 January 1975, to wear black berets. Previously, locally authorized black berets had been worn briefly by the 10th Ranger Company (Airborne), 45th Infantry Division, during the Korean War before their movement to Korea; Company F (LRP), 52d Infantry, 1st Infantry Division, in 1967 in the Republic of Vietnam; Company H (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 1st Cavalry Division, in 1970 in the Republic of Vietnam; and Company N (Ranger), 75th Infantry, 173d Airborne Brigade, in 1971 in the Republic of Vietnam.
</div></div>

Also, I know from personal interviews that Cav units on Fort Campbell and elsewhere were wearing the black beret w/red over white flash prior to the 1975 policy change that officialized the wear of the black beret by the Rangers. Today, Airborne Cavalry units wear a similar red/white flash on their maroon berets.

The old Cav ones looked like this, though I am not sure if they typically wore rank on them as well.
s3cr0.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The beret for the main force was silly and ill executed. I used to wonder why everyone hated thier black berets because my maroon was so comfortable, and told legs who was better. Then I transferred to a leg unit and I found out why. Its like a black torture devise and they arent even the same material as airborne berets.

The most important thing I got from this was the demise of pin on skill badges and sew on nametapes. Turns out my name and the army wont ever fucking change. and now I dont have to remove my skill badges to wash my tops...or repaint them when i forget. now if they can only make orderly room clerks and other office monkeys wear class Bs for daily use justice will be complete. </div></div>

Airborne: Easy to shoot targets in the sky
Colonel 'X': Sgt N, You say you can take a squad of good marksman and kill every single paratrooper before they hit the ground?
Sgt N: Yessir. As a matter of fact, we are scheduled for a full company jump next week. I have in mind these individuals for the 'LZ'
Colonel X: Good deal. You make this haapen adn we will owe you and your team all the pizza and beer by passing the beret.

A week later...
1 single squad, ALL LEGS, from the BN sit and wait in ambush in an L formation in the LZ intel gave them for the impending combat jump. The sound of the C130 became nice and clear, and the little chutes began dropping out. The command was given by the motivated NCO,"FIEYUUURRE!!!" The M16's opened up in semi auto mode from 11 motivated, dedicated Soldiers. As the miles beeps began issueing from the sky, they smiled and kept shooting. The troopers made superb landings and sat down, the few who were trying to aim a rifle fromt eh sky were dealt with in short order. In less time than it took to write this, XX Engineer, Combat Airborne COmpany suffered total casualties of all paratroopers before they hit the ground. As Colonel X's chute slowly decended all that was heard was a small laugh. The NCO looked, smiled, and said,"Go Ahead kid, shoot him already!" The kid slowly took aim at the slow falling officer, and BANG! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Airborne, all just legs when they hit the ground, and still not better than a single Marine or a small sqaud of motivated troops.

Just wait until the uniforms have all that techy cloaking device stuff!

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah!!! Its about fucking time someone high up actually listened to soldiers. Too bad it took ten years.

As I recall the Black Berets were issued to everybody to make them all feel like they were "Elite" too, even if they spent their enlistment shoveling horse shit in Kansas. and they were in such a rush to get them out to everybody (right after 9/11 i think) that they were all acquired from.....China.....in violation of the rules that require all uniform items be made in USA!
Only the Army could do something like that. I'm sure that idea, and it's implementation, got a few 0's their Legion of Merits.
At least the Rangers got a better color, finally.

I do believe that Bill Clinton ordered Gen. Eric Shinseki, to make the Army wide switch to the beret, as a present to his then intern/goomar/other money taker, Monica Lewinsky, and because he was a cheap bastard the only thing that he could offer China in exchange for 10+ million berets, was to sell them state secrets on Taiwan that had already been rendered obsolete.

Thus the Chinese nickname for him is said "Slow-Yo-Fack", or "Slick Willy" in English.

We had a name for a former hat we were issued in the old days. You know, the one that looked like a wallet laid flat?
The proposed name for the Beret was the "Lewinski", which, when you come right down to it, is essentially the same name.