• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

army m24 swapping to 300 wm

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
has anyone else heard anything about this?
why would they make this transition i understand it wouldnt take much to switch the rifles over since they are already long actions but 308 is as accurate as anyone could ask for and considering snipers engagements are usually close the extra power shouldnt be needed all the time not to mention the extra weight and the snipers may not be able to shoot all day long in the sun due to the extra recoil.
what are your thoughts

Re: army m24 swapping to 300 wm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why would they make this transition</div></div>

Well, now that we've got the M-110 in .308 which can handle most situations in Iraq, certainly any I've ever been in, maybe that's led to the conclusion that .300 Win Mag in Afghanistan can now be had without having an effect on Iraq.

Reach is always good, but so is top shelf, fieldcraft.

It's become common place, to blame the weapon.

Ok, this is a fact, and it is old news. Most of the sniper teams to deploy to Afghanistan in the last 12 months have fielded M24 A2'S OR M24 A3's in .300 win mag. The range is neccessary for the mountainous terrain which leads to longer engagements. It is also a fact that they are testing M24's that have been rechambered in .338 Lapua at the Us Army sniper school at Benning. I got that straight from an instructor there just this week. Socom already have the .338 in use.