• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army& Marines Sniper Rifle

misleading thread title

U.S. Army and Marine Corps snipers soon will be armed with a new multi-caliber sniper rifle -- chosen by U.S. Special Operations Command -- that's designed to kill enemy personnel and pierce soft-skinned vehicles. Both services have earmarked money in their proposed fiscal 2021 budgets to buy Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc.'s Multi-Role Adaptive Design Rifle (MRAD), a bolt-action weapon that can be converted to fire 7.62x51mm NATO, .300 Norma Magnum and .338 Norma Magnum ammunition.

After the m40a3/a5 series the usmc got the m40a6. They had it for probably less than a year before they said the mk13 mo7 was coming out. The mk13's probably barely even made it to all units and now this is going to replace everything? What are they trying to accomplish?

After the m40a3/a5 series the usmc got the m40a6. They had it for probably less than a year before they said the mk13 mo7 was coming out. The mk13's probably barely even made it to all units and now this is going to replace everything? What are they trying to accomplish?
There are several issues at play here.
.300 WM was already in service, already had a DODIC/NALC and was already available.
Many in the military still cling to the notion that the only caliber that is capable of inflicting death is .30 caliber.
The procurement process is extremely long and drawn out. It literally takes YEARS for new gear to make it from RFP to acceptance, then years from acceptance to identifying who wins the contract, then years again before production.
(none of this applies to special forces)

Even a blind man could have seen this coming.

A good move that brings more capabilities to our shooters/teams while streamlining the precision weapons portfolios across the services.

And how is a 338 norma going to put a vehicle down or penetrate hard objects like a 50 bmg raufoss? Never did like the 107 due to accuracy of it, but it serves its purpose to break stuff.

Reactions: JTJACKSON
And how is a 338 norma going to put a vehicle down or penetrate hard objects like a 50 bmg raufoss? Never did like the 107 due to accuracy of it, but it serves its purpose to break stuff.

I guess it depends on the type of API round developed and how effective it is in testing but I have a feeling the .50 ain’t going anywhere.

Last edited:

Given how rapidly small arms technology has been advancing lately (last five years or so), time to obsolescence from IOC is much less now than it was 10 years ago. Given legacy systems have to go back to a central facility for repair/maintenance or caliber changes while the Mrad can be serviced by the end user, different caliber kits depending on the mission, I’d say it’s a good move even if the .300 Wam systems service lives haven’t expired. The trade space still favors the multi-caliber end user-serviceable system.

I doubt the M107's will go anywhere, they just won't be drawn out much.

In a lot of situations the M107 is used in, an M2HB would and does work better. Guarding FOBs for one, and providing overwatch when vehicles are present (like the Stryker). In one case it just sits in one spot anyway and more ammo would be a good thing, in the other you're in and out like it's a bank robbery so it's faster to leave it. It does have a limited role.

But .338 and you can take it everywhere, that's different. Too bad they chose shit-ass Norma though, ain't we still boycotting them for extremely shitty business practice?

At least they ain't overpaying for Remington shit with an AAC can. But I bet the cost for an MRAD just went up.

Barretts beat out AI based on mil trials. I wish I knew what it won but a W is a W. This guy seems to like the barrett better.

Need to add in a 223 bolt too. Either way glad the MC is making moves across multiple platforms....are the S&B still in use or did they all become "combat losses"?

Think the NF 5-25x56 ATACR w/T3 is what will be used, at least by the USMC.

And all the features will be commented on with the following.....

"Just like AI....."

"Functions like AI....."

"Similar to AI....."

Which makes one say "Why didnt they just buy a fucking AI?"

The AI is cheaper too. At least the AT. ;)

I'd feel very accomplished if they'd open a pre-register for a "collectable" through the CMP like they are finally doing with the 1911's.

Please? Please Pappa President. I can wait for. BARRETT though.

I don't know what to say here... Having been there with the M24 and M107, the M24 was accurate, but limited if the fit hit the shan. We wanted the capability to send 20 rounds down range in 20 seconds if we HAD to, M24 just would not allow that. The M107 was awesome firepower, but at 28 lbs dry, it wasn't practical as a tote-around plugger. Why couldn't they just upgrade the M24 to 338 Lapua or Norma and keep the new G28 for spotter... Me thinks politics have encroached upon soldiering again.

User serviceable is a huge improvement. A gun shouldn’t have to go back to PWS just because the barrel is work or you broke the trigger.

Shorten the rail a little bit.

I know from experience LMT barrel extensions are a weighty item. Shave some weight where you can.

Is the shotgun style breakdown tight?

Will people be seeking solutions as they do with the AR to tighten the upper/lower and not have any slop?

I'm sure the AI vs Barrett thing boils down to USA vs England. These manufacturers have lobbyists that get the specs written in their favor. I'm sure Remington milked that shit for years.

Shorten the rail a little bit.

I know from experience LMT barrel extensions are a weighty item. Shave some weight where you can.

Is the shotgun style breakdown tight?

Will people be seeking solutions as they do with the AR to tighten the upper/lower and not have any slop?

It is tight. I no longer have mine to take a picture of it, but it used a hardened steel hook and pin, both replaceable, that were self-tensioning at the rear engagement point. The system looks like an AR, but does not feel like one at all. Mine was well-used by myself and a couple before me, and had less movement than the stock flex in any TRG I have owned. It is mostly steel on steel at the detent points and machined 7075 everywhere else.

And all the features will be commented on with the following.....

"Just like AI....."

"Functions like AI....."

"Similar to AI....."

Which makes one say "Why didnt they just buy a fucking AI?"

Coming from someone who sold an MRAD to buy an AI, my perception was the MRAD is probably a better system for this program. The AI has a higher satisfaction of ownership if you are spending your own money, but the MRAD has a lot to like about it and is a more modern design.

Reactions: pmclaine