• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army POI training aid

Wake27

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2014
Not sure if what I'm looking for already exists, but if it does, I'm unaware of it. I'm also not entirely sure how to make it myself so hoping some of you guys can assist.

I'm looking for some images that can help explain the specific POI most conventional units in the Army should expect on a standard pop-up range shooting M855A1 out of a 14.5 Colt SOCOM barrel. Looking at Molon's M855A1 data (2949FPS @ 76* F from a 2021 lot) and the vague familiarity I have with my Kestrel w/ AP and Strelok Pro, I'm trying to understand the bullet drop in inches and also generate an image that will show POI at each range of the Army's qual - 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 meters with a COM POA (like this). Even better would be that plus the target scaled for each distance (and the half target for 50m) with the POA hold for a COM POI.

I know that the AP software can generate a range card that gives the elevation adjustment at each distance. I think I was able to set it for inches so I don't have to work MOA/MIL conversion but the 100m target is showing 7.4D. Strelok Pro, with as many of the settings that I can figure out matching what I put into AP, is showing only 5 inches (and 4.1 MOA which I don't understand).

So the first step is ensuring the relevant data is correct, then understanding the drops, then seeing a graphic to help visualize it. I know Strelok can do the latter graphic with the "reticle" button so I can at least get that, but I'm not sure if its entirely accurate.

I know these are not small targets nor long ranges, but I've never had a good understanding of this since I don't use a 25m zero and 855A1 is hard to find in the civilian world and it bothers me that I can't answer questions on it well.

1690489215105.png
1690488635269.png
1690488814170.png
1690488976261.png

It'll look something like the above I think, a 50M POI is about 2" above POA, at 100-250M POI is 5-7" above POA so you're essentially using a belt line or belly button hold, and at 300M it's basically POA=POI. The red dot size represents a 2 MOA dot roughly at each distance and the orange dot is a 2-3 MOA impact zone. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 232593
View attachment 8191615View attachment 8191605View attachment 8191609View attachment 8191611
It'll look something like the above I think, a 50M POI is about 2" above POA, at 100-250M POI is 5-7" above POA so you're essentially using a belt line or belly button hold, and at 300M it's basically POA=POI. The red dot size represents a 2 MOA dot roughly at each distance and the orange dot is a 2-3 MOA impact zone. I hope this helps.
Thanks, although this is why its confusing. Every time I've ever shot the 50m, I've had to hold base of the target/top of the berm otherwise the round would go high. A few others have recently confirmed this as well.

Thanks, although this is why its confusing. Every time I've ever shot the 50m, I've had to hold base of the target/top of the berm otherwise the round would go high. A few others have recently confirmed this as well.
Are you qualifying with irons or a CCO? Height above bore definitely affects POI/POA alignment over distance.

Back when I was in the army wisdom was hold belt line to 250 and neck at 300. Belt line of the 50 m target is about ground level.

YMMV.