• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army Sniper Competition Reveals Gains, Deficits

Re: Army Sniper Competition Reveals Gains, Deficits

goes to show you how deficient the military units can become in training just simply due to the fact the operational tempo will take up all their time/budget. of course there seems to be no lack of "hands on training"
laugh.gif
good they got a chance to see what they need to work on.

it's easy to think that just because that someone is HSLD, that they are HSLD in everything. Makes me respect them more that the sad fact is missions are probably being completed on sheer will and badass attitude rather than state of the art weapons and tactics and world class training.

After I had read the article the only bit that I felt was a little off was Ms. Cavallaro's writing was her quote and reference to "the old guard" implying methods. As I am one of those old guards I can tell you many years ago we knew training had to be changed and up dated as the years rolled by and engagements changed. We implemented many ideas and training methods that we knew would benefit the newer and younger men. Urban engagements and arid climate locals are allot different than the topo of South East Asia! I'm proud of what our newer SFG's have been able to accomplish given that they often bear the difficulties in acquiring the materials needed on a personal basis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a couple of Delta guys won it.

</div></div>

They did, but just barely by the skin of their teeth.

Re: Army Sniper Competition Reveals Gains, Deficit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ODA726</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a couple of Delta guys won it.

</div></div>

They did, but just barely by the skin of their teeth. </div></div>

I'm sure, at that level, it's a game of inches. Nobody wins by a mile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“There was a changing of the guard between the old guard tactics, techniques and procedures and the new modern TTPs, which is a lot of advanced skills,” said Maj. Pete Kranenburg</div></div>

The longer I work and train in the tactical arena the more I believe there is no such thing as "Advanced Skills". It all boils down to application of the fundamentals. I never scored poorly in a competition or made a mistake doing my job because of my lack of "advanced skills". My failures, mistakes, and short comings all resulted in my inability to properly apply the fundamentals to the task in front of me.

I agree with you - and with this guy:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The secret to winning is simple. Master the fundamentals and then execute them faster than your opponent." Jeff Gonzales</div></div>

I've been in the Military and Federal Law Enforcement for over 25 years. I've taught SF, SEALS and LEO's and when ever any of them said I was an "Expert" I cringed and said Experts write books and sell their techniques as "the way" They are obsolete as soon as they hit the paper. I only consider myself a more advanced student. When you stop learning and filling your tool box of skills you're retired.

I totally agree with your last statement. So true................