• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army's M24...

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
Does anyone have any specs to the first series of the M24 rifle? I'm thinking about building one up and would like to do an old school M24.

If anyone has any info on the original M24, please share it with me. I need info such as barrel/barrel contour, action, stock, type of bedding, optics, rings, and whatever else there is to know. While every one else is building new era rifles, I figured I would try to go old school.

Thanks, Wesley

Re: Army's M24...

getting ahold of someone at Remington would probally be the easiest way to go,..

or you could google like a mo'fo..

as far as i know the M24's have always been a long action,. this was so we could go up to 300 win. mag. without too much trouble,. but thats all i am certain about.

Call me a heritic and all, but I bet remingtonmilitary.com would be a great place to start

Originals were 5R barrels from Mike Rock. HS stock w/ the aluminum V block. Dakota Arms FP and trigger guard, open sights,Leupold Mark4 10X M3 mildot,Leupold bases,40X trigger,and don't forget the long action!

Hi,

I admire your search. I worked at SOTIC in 88 when we brought the first 36 M24s into the system. You'd have to piece it together of course. The original barrel maker still makes barrels, but remington puts their trash tubes on the gun. They were/are long action guns, partly for going to .300 Win Mag, but that's the populist explanation. Turns out that under high speed camera that "short action" advantage is more mental than a measurable physical "faster action". It's all in the training on who is faster than who or what.

Mike Rock made the first barrels for a couple of years. They lasted 10000+ rounds, some less, some quite a bit more. The remington "tubes" to in about 7000 give or take and they foul something terrible. Hammer forging is cheap, not better.

The M24 reciever is a 40X long action with an Outside Diameter that is larger than the regular M700 long action, for rigidity. There are other differences also. Lots of guys build an "M24" and it is nothing like a true M24, which I think is a damn fine rifle, but it should be built by someone who knows the original specs and can "blueprint" the gun.

Let me know if I can help.

Trigger

Never heard the 40X's had larger outside diameter; not to say it isn't a remote possibility? While there were subtle differences I don't believe that was one of them! I am gonna have to "Snopes" that one!
grin.gif

Never heard of a "snopes", 40Xs may not be bigger OD now, they were then, why else have a diff action? A subtle difference you don't want,,, the 24s screw adjustments on the "adjustable" trigger are staked at the custom shop. Sucks, but I think I get it. Dakota didn't make the original trigger guards. Maybe now, not then, not a big deal though, Dakota is good stuff.

The original rear iron sights were Redfield Palma and are now OK Weber. I still have not found out anything concerning the front iron sights and where to get a base for them. Anyone have any information as to the front iron sight and base?

Thanks,

Po-Po

Guys, I can't stress enough on how much I appreciate the input. Building this rifle will turn in to a serious quest for me. Right now I'm doing the research and ALOT of reading on the actual rifle's history.

After I do my research and get all the parts ordered, I'll have to find a smith that can build and blueprint it to specs.

Thanx, Wesley

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have not found out anything concerning the front iron sights and where to get a base for them. Anyone have any information as to the front iron sight and base?
</div></div>

The M24's we were issued had the RedField Palma rear sight and RedField Big bore sight. I heard that later they went to the OK Weber sight, but I never saw one.

As for the bases, I know that Champions choice carries the bases. They might even have the front sight.

iron1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have not found out anything concerning the front iron sights and where to get a base for them. Anyone have any information as to the front iron sight and base?
</div></div>

The M24's we were issued had the RedField Palma rear sight and RedField Big bore sight. I heard that later they went to the OK Weber sight, but I never saw one.

As for the bases, I know that Champions choice carries the bases. They might even have the front sight.

iron1.jpg
</div></div>

Thats an awesome picture, I call Rock barrels today and next wee I hope I'll be able to order a barrel. The M24 I'm trying to build will be the exact same set up as the first batch from 1988.

Trigger - your information is outdated and at least partially incorrect. You are correct that Rock made the barrels however you are definitely wrong about the "trash" barrels. They are cold hammer forged 416R Stainless 5R barrels and have been since about the 2nd year of production. These barrels see over 14K rds of military use and continue to kill bad guys without issue. Hard to see what "trash" you are talking about. The receiver is in fact not oversized, it is a standard 700 Long Action (the 40X is the same size as well). You might think they are oversized because Remington at one time used a very thick coating called RemCoat which added considerable thickness, they are currently powder coated. The only part of an M24 that you cannot obtain is the trigger which is restricted due to military requirement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi,

I admire your search. I worked at SOTIC in 88 when we brought the first 36 M24s into the system. You'd have to piece it together of course. The original barrel maker still makes barrels, but remington puts their trash tubes on the gun. They were/are long action guns, partly for going to .300 Win Mag, but that's the populist explanation. Turns out that under high speed camera that "short action" advantage is more mental than a measurable physical "faster action". It's all in the training on who is faster than who or what.

Mike Rock made the first barrels for a couple of years. They lasted 10000+ rounds, some less, some quite a bit more. The remington "tubes" to in about 7000 give or take and they foul something terrible. Hammer forging is cheap, not better.

The M24 reciever is a 40X long action with an Outside Diameter that is larger than the regular M700 long action, for rigidity. There are other differences also. Lots of guys build an "M24" and it is nothing like a true M24, which I think is a damn fine rifle, but it should be built by someone who knows the original specs and can "blueprint" the gun.

Let me know if I can help.

Trigger </div></div>

You are correct, the M24's are currently issued with a RPA sight sourced from OK Weber. This was due to Redfield going out of business.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have not found out anything concerning the front iron sights and where to get a base for them. Anyone have any information as to the front iron sight and base?
</div></div>

iron1.jpg
</div></div>

Thats an awesome picture, I call Rock barrels today and next wee I hope I'll be able to order a barrel. The M24 I'm trying to build will be the exact same set up as the first batch from 1988. </div></div>

It had a Redfield Palma rear and Olympic front.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have not found out anything concerning the front iron sights and where to get a base for them. Anyone have any information as to the front iron sight and base?
</div></div>

iron1.jpg
</div></div>

Actually several floorplates have been used over the years. Dakota was one as was Sunny hill. The originals were "outsourced" and used a Welded up and trimmed Winchester M70 steel floorplate. It uses a 30-06 spring and follower.

You might not like the source but on ebay you can usually find Redfield sights and inserts available for bid. Just do a search on Redfield in the Sports category.

tacinstr... sorry, it would appear that my info is out of date. My apologies.