• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army's PSR competition - what made Barrett the winner ?

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
I am curious if anyone has insights on the competition and what made the Barrett a winner?

AI also trigger failures during the testing, that ended up eliminating the AXSR.

I wanna say former SF Kevin Owens spoke about on his last of 2nd to last podcast (find it on his YouTube channel under his name) He was directly involved in procurement towards the end of his military career.

He also announced that quit Fieldcraft Survival.

I don’t own one, but have shot a couple of the Barrett’s. Compared my my mk13s they feel light. Trigger takes some getting used to. It doesn’t feel like any of my other Remington, Chombart or Anschutz based units . All in all, a decent bolt action I think.

Not sure if they’re the best out there. IMO it’s certainly better than the fucking 2010. Guess time will tell how they hold up.

Given how military and government contracts run, I'm guessing kickbacks hookers and blow
pretty much. From my understanding the ASR was the preferred system Aside from the trigger issues that could have been an easy fix in my opinion but from what a few people that were somewhat involved with the end all decision making, Barret either came back at a lower price and undercut their original or offered up something else that is probably kick backs. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
PSR ended up being a real mess, hence the ASR program, which was basically “we messed up, so let’s try again but go about it differently.”

Gotta love the conspiracies about this shit. Yeah because it’s impossible that Barrett just won it fair and square… which they did.

AI lost because of trigger issues and it was its really only true competitor because of how easy and consistent and they are to swap barrels. Doesn’t matter that the AI trigger issue could have possibly been addressed, the rifles that were submitted for the solicitation had trigger failures.

The MRAD is a great rifle and won. I still wouldn’t take one over an AI though.