• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Around the action wrench for factory removal FoSho

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
Had an attempt made to remove a factory barrel with my Surgeon action wrench. The damn thing bent under load, so while I still think and lug style wrench won't damage the action, it definately won't hold up to the removal of all factory barrels. Unfortunately this was a lesson learned:

picture of tweaked Surgeon wrench:

zmgpxv.jpg

Picture with a straight edge for reference to show the severity of the bend:

2s13vxt.jpg

Not sure if I should try to bend it back, or just run it how it is for now. It is disappointing to see a tool come to this...

DD

Re: Around the action wrench for factory removal FoSho

What kind of action?

Any damage to the action?

I guess it's best that the Surgeon wrench failed.

yeah, it is better that it was the wrench... there was no jarring or shock, just a steady pressure that bent the wrench, no damage to the action at all... the wrench didn't slip, just bent. Was a factory Remington 700 with 7mm barrel...

Put an around the action wrench on it and a breaker bar, and the sucker broke free easy enough...

DD

Said it once I will say it again, never use a port wrench to remove factory barrels. Sometimes it works, most of the time it won't, and you're asking for trouble. And yes I have seen inline and port wrenches damage actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Said it once I will say it again, never use a port wrench to remove factory barrels. Sometimes it works, most of the time it won't, and you're asking for trouble. And yes I have seen inline and port wrenches damage actions.</div></div>

This post is my way of saying you were right LOL... definately go with an around the action style for the removal of factory actions. Probably best not to try a port or inline wrench unless you personally torqued the barrel on...

DD

Nice to see you back Randy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice to see you back Randy! </div></div>

Thank. Almost 100% but I'm still a little sore.