• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Artificial disk Cervical

LWILLIAMS

Nobody
Minuteman
May 30, 2006
Gillette, Wyoming
I had injured a disk in my neck back in November of 2009 and after putting it off till I had to do something and then fighting WC I finally had a Bryan artificial disk put in C6-7 right at 6 weeks ago. I opted for the artificial disk as I have a bulged disk below this one and I did not want the added stress from a fusion put on an already taxed disk. I seemed to be doing better at week 4 than I am now. I have some pain limited to one area and get pretty bad headaches, I am thinking this is due to me overdoing things and thinking I should be healed by now. Has anyone else had an artificial disk in there cervical and if so what was a realistic time to recovery and when did they go back to shooting. I see my Dr on Monday the 25th and will discuss with him then. For anyone interested this is what the disk looks like.

Thanks,

Lwilliams

IMG_17089.jpg

IMG_18494.jpg

I had injured a disk in my neck back in November of 2009 and after putting it off till I had to do something and then fighting WC I finally had a Bryan artificial disk put in C6-7 right at 6 weeks ago. I opted for the artificial disk as I have a bulged disk below this one and I did not want the added stress from a fusion put on an already taxed disk. I seemed to be doing better at week 4 than I am now. I have some pain limited to one area and get pretty bad headaches, I am thinking this is due to me overdoing things and thinking I should be healed by now. Has anyone else had an artificial disk in there cervical and if so what was a realistic time to recovery and when did they go back to shooting. I see my Dr on Monday the 25th and will discuss with him then. For anyone interested this is what the disk looks like.

Thanks,

Lwilliams

IMG_17089.jpg

IMG_18494.jpg

Any update on this? How do you feel? Was it worth it? I have similar back issues and wondering your thoughts.

No experience with that but have a ton of Fusion experience on the other end of the spine. Still have problems but quality of life is much better after the work.

I'm a Neurosugery NP. The thought and hope if that an artificial disc replacement may not stress on the adjacent levels as a cervical fusion. However, we don't have the long term data to support that at this time. In sense, it makes since. Having said that, a one level cervical fusion has a rate of 3% per year that an adjacent segment will wear out, needing surgery. What would be interesting in your case would be that you have an adjacent level disc bulge and to see whether or not an artificial disc wound impact that disc. I've been in neurosurgery for 18 years now. I often wonder if the adjacent level disease is not just part of the degenerative process as well. I've seen people who have gotten better without surgery, who return out a later time with adjacent level disease or that the disc bulge turned into a spur and caused recurrent symptoms. The FDA studies for approval only looked at artificial disc replacement as being as good as the standard fusion. It was not a superiority study. Having said that, patient do extremely well with both procedures if done for the correct indication, which would be arm pain. Neck pain and headaches, not so much. I wish you well with your recovery. My recommendations would be to follow your physicians postoperative restrictions.

Are these artificial discs used for lower lumbar herniations? I have herniations at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Been putting off surgery as long as possible, but I am afraid the time is coming.

Are these artificial discs used for lower lumbar herniations? I have herniations at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Been putting off surgery as long as possible, but I am afraid the time is coming.

Ok, so the artificial lumbar disc are a different animal. They are indicated for 1 level degenerative disc disease resulting in back pain. You can't have any other bad discs than that one level and you can not have any arthritis at that level. So, that in itself puts a lot of people out. Having said that, the results have not been that promising. Obviously patient selection is key. The first disc here was the Charite artificial disc. It was developed in Europe and sold to a company here. They stopped implanting that device some time ago overseas. I have no personal experience with it as insurance do not cover that technology here in Indiana and when i had people ask for it, the had a herniated disc and were having leg pain.

So, without looking at your images it would be hard to say. People have herniated or bulging disc, but have no leg pain. Surgery for back pain typically is not the best options (there are exceptions), but people getting fusions for black disc are what gives back surgery a bad name. Disc that pinch nerve resulting in leg pain have a better predictable outcome.

You probably would need to be evaluated by a local neurosurgeon, but ask around. You want someone who has a good reputation.

Ok, so the artificial lumbar disc are a different animal. They are indicated for 1 level degenerative disc disease resulting in back pain. You can't have any other bad discs than that one level and you can not have any arthritis at that level. So, that in itself puts a lot of people out. Having said that, the results have not been that promising. Obviously patient selection is key. The first disc here was the Charite artificial disc. It was developed in Europe and sold to a company here. They stopped implanting that device some time ago overseas. I have no personal experience with it as insurance do not cover that technology here in Indiana and when i had people ask for it, the had a herniated disc and were having leg pain.

So, without looking at your images it would be hard to say. People have herniated or bulging disc, but have no leg pain. Surgery for back pain typically is not the best options (there are exceptions), but people getting fusions for black disc are what gives back surgery a bad name. Disc that pinch nerve resulting in leg pain have a better predictable outcome.

You probably would need to be evaluated by a local neurosurgeon, but ask around. You want someone who has a good reputation.

Thanks. I do have the occasional tingling pain in my left leg. Microdiscectomy was discussed a few years ago with a neurosurgeon, but I have managed to get by. Been hoping some reliable type of replacement disc would come along. Apologies for the hijack OP.

Interesting. How many miles are you expected to get out of the artificial disc, or of they not know what when and if it will need replacement?

Looking at your radiograph, it appears as if C6 has a left lateral flexion and C7 has a right lateral flexion to compensate. I am curious if there is a valid contraindication to adjustment with the artificial disc once it is fully healed.