• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ASC Fall 2012 NEW SHOOTERS MATCH

Woodlanddude

Professional Hillbilly
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2007
Beckley, WV
Gentlemen-- Since time is so short between now and the only weekend for a fall match that works into our schedules, we thought it best to get the essential information out so you can have more time to plan if you are interested in attending.

Since we have not held a "New Shooters" match in a number of years, it seemed like it was time. So, participation in this event will be limited to new ASC shooters. In addition, sponsors, and active duty military irrespective of previous ASC participation are eligible to participate.

Match Dates: September 1 and 2, 2012. This event will revert to a two day event, despite favoring the three day format used for the last few years.

Match Fee: $200

Additional details will follow. If you have questions consult the ASC web page. In addition to allowing LRFs on many stages you should expect a few other changes to the match format. As always Brock will be serving up a great tenderloin dinner on Saturday night.

Registration is open.

ASC Staff

Re: ASC Fall 2012 NEW SHOOTERS MATCH

I hope I get on the list for this match. How many slots are open?

Where to register?

Web page only seems to show the may 2012 info...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where to register? </div></div>

I'd like to in too when we get registration info.

Gents(and any Ladies),
Please send no checks until you get a registration confirmation email!!! E-mail [email protected] to sign up. The final number of slots is being whittled down based on what we think we need to complete the course of fire. 30-40 shooters is a likely number. I will contact the match director about updating the site. Also, please let me add that this match is not for those brand new to shooting at distance. You will need to be up to speed on ranging with a reticle, and have accurate data out to around 1200 yards. You will need to show up with your rifle zero'd and ready to go. Look forward to meeting some of you out there!

If you are an experienced shooter deciding on whether or not to join the match circuit, ASC is a good place to get a feel for the skills necessary at the top levels of competition. The staff is knowedgeable and friendly, the ROs are easy-going and helpful, and the venue is second to none. I you can get in, you should go. You won't regret it.

I would highly recommend trying to make this match if you have never been

Nothing like shooting up on the mountain

Just be sure to be ready to eat some of the best beef tenderloin on Saturday and give Rod a hard time.

Wish I was going

I got the email on this event and am excited about being involved (hopefully).

Question to the vets: What is the typical density altitude encountered on the mountain in September? I see that the altitude is 3300 to 3800 ft above sea level, but was wondering about the environment on an air density basis.

thanks!

Typical is a dangerous word at this time of year. You could have 40 degree mornings or 95 degree 2 pm temps. DA is mostly in the 4000-5000 range if days are "average" I have seen from 3000-7000 on Brocks Kestrel at this time of year. When we came up with a drop chart for the FN sponsored match rifles in 2010, if my memory is right, Brock and I decided on an average being around 4500' DA, and it seemed to work well. We had published drop charts with 3 sets of data for temperature variation. Temps were great and probably averaged mid 70's for those matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woodlanddude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typical is a dangerous word at this time of year. </div></div>

Copy - thanks. Understood on the dangers of 'typical'...

ASC Fall Alumni match was my first major match and had a blast!!! While the weather was less than ideal, the shots were awesome and the folks I was shooting with were even better!

Looking forward to getting back on the mountain some day.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woodlanddude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents(and any Ladies),
Please send no checks until you get a registration confirmation email!!! E-mail [email protected] to sign up. The final number of slots is being whittled down based on what we think we need to complete the course of fire. 30-40 shooters is a likely number. I will contact the match director about updating the site. Also, please let me add that this match is not for those brand new to shooting at distance. You will need to be up to speed on ranging with a reticle, and have accurate data out to around 1200 yards. You will need to show up with your rifle zero'd and ready to go. Look forward to meeting some of you out there!
</div></div>

I emailed 5-6 days ago to register and have received no response. When can I expect a response? Need to plan my life for that weekend one way or the other.

Be patient, there is a lot involved in putting a match on this size.

They will just publish the list u have to just wait and see. One piece of advice i will give you is book your room even if you dont know if you are going or not. LOL The veterans know what im talking about.

Rich

I just got an email and I'm in, as is my buddy, Matt
smile.gif

One thing to note: LRF are allowed. Not sure if that is for every stage, or just a few, but UKD just got a tad easier.

Also, I secured my hotel, thanks to Staff Sergeant 3K's advice above. Thanks!

Looking forward to this match and meeting some fellow Hide members.

Mark

The list is out as you see posted above. Congrats to those coming and to those not in, you are automatically waitlisted, and we will make calls to those in line if/when someone drops out. Look forward to seeing you at the match!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...One piece of advice i will give you is book your room even if you dont know if you are going or not. LOL The veterans know what im talking about.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Also, I secured my hotel, thanks to Staff Sergeant 3K's advice above. Thanks!</div></div>

Where do you guys stay around there? Thanks!

Yokems Vacationland has a web site with several different options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yokems Vacationland has a web site with several different options. </div></div>

+1

The rooms above the store at Yokums are the way to go, they are much nicer than the rooms at the motel down the road. And you can walk to all the fine dining options that Seneca Rocks offers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie Papa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...One piece of advice i will give you is book your room even if you dont know if you are going or not. LOL The veterans know what im talking about.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Also, I secured my hotel, thanks to Staff Sergeant 3K's advice above. Thanks!</div></div>

Where do you guys stay around there? Thanks! </div></div>

Yokums will work Chad.......BUT DO NOT STAY AT THE SMALL YOKUMS DOWN THE ROAD FROM THE MAIN BUILDING!!! It is a crap hole.

Appalachian Cabins is a good place for 3 or more people. Thats where I normally stay. GOOD LUCK!!!!

ASC is one of the very best matches you will ever shoot

Thanks guys, and thanks Joe. I reserved one of the ones over the store, so should be good to go. Really looking forward to this! Now to find someone to possibly carpool with... Anyone coming from or through Atlanta?

Outstanding! Email inbound to Team ASC. Heard great stories about ASC. Looking forward to an opportunity to shoot with others at the Match!

"+1" for Yokums IVO Seneca Rocks. Use Y's while lead climbing "Conns West" at SR.

WaitListed for the Comp. Time to prepare...

My son and I are going. Its a long drive for us, 17 hours. But from everything I've seen and read it will be worth it. We are at Yokums also. Hope to meet some more Hide members.

Jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the rooms above the store better? </div></div>

I have been told they are better. From the website, they have kitchenette and cost $20/night more.

#51 at the top of the steps is my favorite room. I always request it.

I am really looking forward to shooting in the West Virginia Mountains and meeting some fellow Hide members. Secured my room today at Yokems thanks for the advice!

200 is more than enough. 160 is about the norm. I would bring 200 just in case there is time to shoot an extra round or two or some thing happens that you may have to shoot more than planned. See everyone soon. Brock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mountain Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">200 is more than enough. 160 is about the norm. I would bring 200 just in case there is time to shoot an extra round or two or some thing happens that you may have to shoot more than planned. See everyone soon. Brock </div></div>

Wow, from my experience, this is a lot of rounds. Think I only fired ~70 at Mammoth this year. Probably 30-40 at the TVP matches.

Turbo..

Your going to shoot alot at ASC, Unless you first round hit everything!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbo..

Your going to shoot alot at ASC, <span style="font-weight: bold">Unless you first round hit everything!!!</span> </div></div>

Understood, and not counting on it.

I'll bring 200+ rounds!

We like to get you some trigger time for your efforts in getting here! We have actually trimmed some shots over the years, but 200 rounds will be sufficient and will probably have you packing a few rounds back or shooting them up if time allows.

Would y'all say a shooter would be better off at ASC with:

A 22" 14lb 260

or

A 30" 16lb 284

??

neither of those

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would y'all say a shooter would be better off at ASC with:

A 22" 14lb 260

or

A 30" 16lb 284

?? </div></div>

read this article "FN Epic" and bring the 22" 'er!

http://alleghenysniperchallenge.com/articles.htm

Almost every shot will be prone with plenty of time, few if any run/gun and far more over 600 than under. If that helps.

You may want to bring some of this...

4_midi.jpg

Sooo.... Looking at the prediction of hurricane Isaac's path, looks to me like it is highly, likely there is going to be some seriously horrible rain.

Thoughts?

A good hard rain will help wash the sheep shit off your gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thoughts </div></div> Goretex or better(coated nylon, etc)!!!! Some good mucks or other wet weather boots are helpful if it smacks us with a bad one that weekend. Guys, I feel I need to emphasize here! <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">BE PREPARED FOR FOUL WEATHER!!! UNLESS IT IS LIFE THREATENING WE WILL HOLD THE MATCH!!!</span></span> This is emphasized due to us calling off a match leg for the half of the shooters up on the ridgeline during 60-70mph squalls. Some folks were not prepared and were in need of evac for thier health. If you have to go off the mountain for lack of proper gear, you will be taken to your vehicle, but you will <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> be able to return to the match for that days shooting and your score will reflect that. The rest of the group will continue the match. Please be prepared for 90 degree days with proper water, 30's with proper warm clothing, and Solid rain with proper outerwear!!! You may not need it, but have it packed. If the day's forecast shows your clear with fair conditions you can leave it in your car, but if its iffy bring it!!!! This area is around 3200-4000ft in elevation and we can get screwy weather!!!! The RSO's will be in the same weather you are in. We will not ask you to be out in something we feel is unsafe for us as we all have families too, but we are used to preparing for this type of uncertainty due to most of us hunting/fishing/climbing in this area for most of our lives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woodlanddude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thoughts </div></div><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">BE PREPARED FOR FOUL WEATHER!!! UNLESS IT IS LIFE THREATENING WE WILL HOLD THE MATCH!!!</span></span></div></div>At 28F, with 50mph winds on the mountain, it was indeed cold. Add rain and it gets really cold. That, and for shooting to the powder house with a 35mph full-value crosswind be prepared to dial wind, then hold all the Mils you've got in the reticle.

Good. Clean. Fun!
cool.gif

and I was planning on wearing a cotton T-shirt, shorts and a pair of Reef beach bum sandals...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and I was planning on wearing a cotton T-shirt, shorts and a pair of Reef beach bum sandals... </div></div>Take those too: You will find them handy twenty-minutes later, when the front blows through.
laugh.gif