• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Asking Experienced Casters

USAF1A8

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Husker Nation
Just starting out in casting today after the long awaited arrival of my new moulds, the last step in my equipment gathering, including about 150lbs of free lead from my new best friends at an auto service station nearby. 2 questions, all I have been able to find was to utilize "addequate ventiliation". My setup is in my garage about 10' from an open single car door, and 2 fans blowing everything outside, but there still is a noticable fume smell, and I don't want to take any unnecessary risks here. Does that sound adequate? And, anyone have experience melting those strip style weights with an adheasive backing? I assume that crap can be scraped off as best as possible and the rest will burn out in the dross, no? Thanks in advance.

Re: Asking Experienced Casters

Try putting the fans upwind (behind) your casting setup and blowing the fumes out.

I just throw those lead weights in with all the goop on them, a little flux and all the schmegg floats to the top and scoops off anyway.

IIRC some of the adhesive strip weights contaion other than lead, antimony and tin (zinc, maybe?) Not good for the alloy. I do all my mixing and casting on the patio.

For the initial melting I use a Coleman stove and a cast iron plumber's pot. I melt everything down and flux it with beeswax and cast it into 1 pound ingots. With all the dirt out of it I don't feel bad about putting the "clean" alloy in my bottom drop pot.

The first melting I do outside on the driveway. For casting the bullets I do that inside with a couple of vent fans running. I usually cast up enough durring the fall and winter months to keep me a little ahead so I don't have to do that on pretty days I can be at the range.

Good luck.

Most of mine were 4 different 45 cal, 3 different 38 / 357, & 2 different 9mm. They range from 6 cavity to single cavity.

Be careful, a lot of those lead wheel weights aren't lead. Not sure what they are, but whatever it is, it's not nice to melters and molds. Bring the lead up to melting temp, but not much more, then float the wheel weight on top. If it doesn't melt, take it out and set it aside; it's not something you want in your melter or molds.

Greg

I cast anything centerfire that's larger than 22 caliber.

220gr lead RN from a 30-06 still has quite a bit of whollop even at 2300 fps.

Gas checks are your friend for rifle rounds.

The setup you describe should be ok. Set it up so the fumes are pulled away from you and not thru you on there way out of the garage. The mag wheel weights I just throw in with the rest of the stuff with no problems so far. They may be made from something different but I have not come across that yet. Rifle bullets require a bit better alloy then most of my pistol bullets. Handgun ammo not picky, rifle bullets my best alloy. Gas checks are a must for most everything in a rifle. I never had much use for a 30-30 until I started casting, great cast bullet rifle.