• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Asking for help from somebody with Quickload

Bleyva

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2018
Good afternoon everybody
First post so I will keep it short and sweet
My name is Ben and this is the story
was at the range yesterday for some load development
Found a perfect load that was shooting 1/2 MOA at 200 yards pic of target attached as well pic of data from the day

Gun
Reminton 700 PCR 6.5 Creedmoor
24" barrel 1-8" Twist
Terminator Muzzle Break

Load
Powder RL-16 (42.1 gr)
Peterson LRP brass Trimmed to 1.912 (case volume 49.6 grains) taken from another site not actually measured by me
Primer CCI-BR2 LR
Bullet 140GR ELD-M (seated .015 off the lands 2.855 COAL)

Chronograph was a Caldwell Ballistic Precision (not the best i know)

IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2149.JPG

I would figure (and i never should) if there was a gross amount of over-pressure I would see it in some way.

I cant read the primer crater because the rem 700 firing pin has a lot of slop and will crater even at the lightest loads, there is no flattening or case damage.

If you require anymore information please let me know i banging my head on the wall on this one

Thanks again for all your help guys and girls

Good afternoon everybody
Found a perfect load that was shooting 1/2 MOA at 200 yards pic of target attached as well pic of data from the day

Gun
24" barrel 1-8" Twist
Terminator Muzzle Break

Load
Powder RL-16 (42.1 gr)
Peterson LRP brass Trimmed to 1.912 (case volume 49.6 grains) taken from another site not actually measured by me
Primer CCI-BR2 LR

17547[/ATTACH]

I would figure (and i never should) if there was a gross amount of over-pressure I would see it in some way.

I cant read the primer crater because the rem 700 firing pin has a lot of slop and will crater even at the lightest loads, there is no flattening or case damage.

If you require anymore information please let me know i banging my head on the wall on this one

Good afternoon everybody

Gun
24" barrel 1-8" Twist
Terminator Muzzle Break

Load
Powder RL-16 (42.1 gr)
Primer CCI-BR2 LR

View attachment 7217546View attachment 7217547

What problem r u having heavy bolt, not consistent, not happy with the group?

Quickload is for modeling loads before you have shooting data. Since you’ve already shot, what a computer program may tell you is irrelevant. Looking at your velocities, the jumps in velocity between charges is much too great and they’re a going way too fast. Crappy chrono perhaps. Find some distance and shoot for drops to compare.

If you’re concerned with pressure, post some good quality pictures of the case heads. Many people who’ve claimed there was no pressure at all were simply missing all the pressure signs.

Reactions: kindabitey
If bolt lifts to extract without undue force all is usually good.
Reading primers is kinda voodoo at times but I always observe the radius on the edge as it can be telling.
You can also measure cartridge base growth.

I wouldn’t really trust that chrony.
You can get a pretty accurate speed by seeing what your required dial ups are at distance.

Holy crap you guys are on it
I am super happy with the group at 200, the velocity seems crazy high and should have caused havok on my brass and primer
No heavy bolt lift, primers are cratered but that will happen even at the lightest loads (havent bushed the pin yet)
i was hoping that quickload would give me a pressure for that load at the perimeters i shot it at and give me an idea of pressure
when i got home i did notice a swipe on the brass but it there was a birr on the ejector rod aswell as around the ejector hole in the bolt face got that all cleaned up now.
The only thing as far as dialups go is the furthest local range i have is 200 and from 100 to 200 there will be very little dialup needed.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• 20200105_120009.jpg
    20200105_120009.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200105_120039.jpg
    20200105_120039.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200105_120107.jpg
    20200105_120107.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200105_120432.jpg
    20200105_120432.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 59
Yep they are not getting punished at all
A little swiping on the case heads but I think I solved that problem by polishing the pin and rounding the edges
There is one of the cases that has a ring on it from the extractor hole but it is really faint

20200105_193305.jpg

FWIW,
QuickLOAD estimates your chamber pressure @ 68,352 psi using all the parameters you defined. Including the case capacity of 49.6 gr. H20 (the QL default for the cartridge is 54.03 grs.)

QL did however estimate your velocity to within 5 fps @ 2920 fps.

Aside from that, the rounded edges of your spent primers look pretty good to me.

That is exactly what I was looking for Goldenbear
I actually H20 measured a couple of my cases for actual case volume of the fire-formed cases to my chamber.
Could I ask for one more favor, could you re-run quickload with the actual case volume and see what it comes up with.
Actual case volume of fire-formed brass 51.3 grains measured with water.
I am really curious as to why there is no pressure signs with this load.
Thanks again Goldenbear

20200106_192555.jpg

After changing case capacity to 51.3 grs. H20 and leaving all other variables the same, the estimated chamber pressure drops to 62,951 psi. That makes this load right at CIP max pressure spec. Again, QuickLOAD is only an estimation.

Purely speculation, but it could be that the primer is flowing around the firing pin which is preventing the primer flow from manifesting in the crevice between the primer and case head.

So I get really good results with quickload matching up to my data. EXCEPT with Rl16, its flat out wrong they made a change to the file recently which isnt giving accurate results for velocity and pressure in my opinion. With my current load it says it shold be 150fps faster than it is and says im at like 72k psi lol.

I know they have a disclaimer within QL that powders could vary up to +/- 10% between lots. With that in mind it could be way off.

Thanks for everybody's help
I do think you could be onto something with the primer flowing into the firing pin hole and not flattening, that is the only explanation
I really don't like that because you could load that thing to the moon and the primers are always giving you the same profile until your cases are dickerd.

Do you think that QL would come up with its math on the conservative side of things, on the hot side of a powder lot +10%?

BoltActionBrotherhood if you don't mind me asking what are you using for components, and your velocity, have you noticed any primer flattening on your loads at the QL stated pressures.
I know this is all a guesstimate but it is good info to know.

So I’m using Norma brass, rl16, gm210m primers, I’m seating the 153s .020 off the lands. Coal is 2.920, h20 capacity 52.18 bullets I use primarily are the 153s, but also have been playing with the 150s, 156.
42.8 gr of rl16 is giving me 2802 fps.
So due not that my coal is way higher that Sami which seems to help get some better velocity. Also my barre is 26inch.
may this charge I don’t have any pressure signs at all. However like you I get primer flow but my primer flow even on very light loads is very bad. My primer flow will cause piercing before getting over pressure.
so I haven’t ran into heavy bolt lift or swipe marks for this load Or anything. I do know that if I go much higher like 43.2 I will start to see some very mild pressure signs.
I just did a quick test with the 144 Berger’s and just picked a random load, got up to 43.6gr and velocity was 2860 and I think I still have some good room to go with those maybe around 44.0 and getting around 2900
just note that your brass probably has a good amount less case capacity, and you are Not running rounds as long as I am, which allows me to run more powder etc.
so what works for me may not work for you.

Well I think what needs to be done is load up 5 more rounds with no visible signs of case deformation and run them through the shitty chrono and see what it has to say the second go around. Maybe I will try 5 at .015 off the lands and 5 at .020 of the lands and see what goes down. The next step is moving down to the next node and slowing her down a little bit.
Again thanks for all the help