• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Aspiring F class shooter

jrr1982

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2011
Minneapolis
Hello,
First of al I would like to say I enjoy this site and have learned a ton after finding it.
I was an army scout before I left the service about 5 years ago, I enjoyed shooting while I was in and want to pick it up again. as of right now I have a Remington 700p in a .308. I just ordered a Micmillan A3 stock which will arrive within the next couple months. I plan on putting a nightforce 12-42 x 56 NXS on it soon. My question for you guys is will that be a good starter rifle for f class competition and would you recomend any thing else. Also, I am from minnesota and am not too far from the Elk River sportsman club, does anyone on here belong to that club, or know someone from that club who would be willing to take a rookie under their wing until I figure all this stuff out?
Thankyou for your advice.
Joe

Re: Aspiring F class shooter

I'm not familiar with Elk River, but Minnetonka Game & Fish Club (in St. Francis) has a very strong F-Class club (300m). They're very friendly to new competitors and just like any club they're happy to help out. Matches are the first Sunday of every month; feel free to PM me and I'll send you the match director contact info.

Sounds like you'll have a good entry-level gun with good glass; just get a good bipod if you're shooting F/TR and a good rear bag and you're ready to give it a go. Oh, and get the McMillan bedded by someone who knows what they're doing...

Quick Google search on the Elk River club showed their F-class matches were Monday nights last year. They shoot out to 600yds, whereas the Minnetonka Game and Fish (MGFC) only shoots to 300m.

My experience with any type of shoot: if you're not a member of the club, make sure the shoot is open to non-members, then show up and start talking to people. Most people involved with the shooting sports are more than willing to help you out.

Tag.......I am in twin cities and getting an class rig together for this year too.

Just in case you didn't know there is a F Class Competition section here. I'msure you'll be able to find some helpful info there. Here's a LINK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick Google search on the Elk River club showed their F-class matches were Monday nights last year. They shoot out to 600yds, whereas the Minnetonka Game and Fish (MGFC) only shoots to 300m.

My experience with any type of shoot: if you're not a member of the club, make sure the shoot is open to non-members, then show up and start talking to people. Most people involved with the shooting sports are more than willing to help you out.</div></div>

FYI, the MGFC matches on Sunday mornings are for F-Class, Prone, and 3-Position...all of these matches are open to club non-members and the fee to shoot is the same for everyone ($15). MGFC has an electronic target scoring system so the matches go pretty quickly.

Jrr - Petey is correct. The F-class guys at Minnetonka Game & Fish are a good group and very helpful. I just started shooting F-class up there in September.

if you do want to shoot a match get a hold of the match director first. They can only handle 14 guys on the line at one time and the January match had 24 shooters so they are running two lines. The first group goes off at 10 am and the second line starts at noon.

edit - forgot to mention that if you don't have a good bipod don't worry about it the first match. the club has sandbags you can use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrr1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where do you shoot? </div></div>

In the rare occasions I shoot F-Class, I go to MGFC in St. Francis. They also run IDPA, USPSA, etc at the club...if you're looking to become a member at a range I highly recommend them.

That rig will work fine out to 600, and if it's tight you may be able to clean at 800 too. (Biggest scoring rings you'll ever shoot on)

At 900/1000 it will start to give up some to the guys with 30" tubes; however, the driver is more important than the stick. At the club level it's doubtful that the rifle will be the difference unless you're shooting against someone of equal skill, and usually it's pretty easy to see the difference. I know when the same guys beat me by more points that I care to admit it's points I dropped, not the rifle.