• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Aspiring Gunsmith

StealthWarrior

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2009
Hello, so here is my question: Does anyone know of anybody that would be willing to take on an apprentice to learn in a shop about gunsmithing in Virginia (roanoke area)? I am absolutely sick and tired of sitting around wanting so badly to go and learn the art of gunsmithing but not knowing how to do so without buying everything myself with money that I just don't have at this age!

I am so passionate about firearms (along with quite a few other things), and I have a very strong will to learn! I just need a willing mentor. Can anyone help me out here? Thank you.

Collin

Re: Aspiring Gunsmith

Roanoke has a lot of industry. Were I you, I'd see about being a shop monkey/apprentice in a machine shop and learn all you can. Also take machine shop classes at the local community college if they offer them.

Learning about how things work mechanically, the art of precise measuring, and how tolerances work out would be a huge benefit in the long run.

Thank you for that, kind sir! I believe some community college in Salem has a good program. I don't think Virginia western (closer to me) has that sort of thing.

All advice is more than welcome! Thank you.

Thought about enrolling in a gunsmithing program? If you're young, that's what I would do. Maybe even some machine shop classes too.

It never hurts to make yourself more marketable through education.

+1 on all the above comments....

if you do clean-up/apprentice/grunt work...
try not too have a thin skin...
Most with knowledge like to share...
but they may fuck with you to see if you can take it....
try to take it in stride....
wink.gif

Look into TAOGART www.taogart.org gunsmith apprenticeships is what they do. They can help you set up a plan and can in some cases help you find a sponsor. The cost is free you can't beat that.

Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC is around 2 1/2 hours from Roanoke. Take a look at their gunsmithing curriculum.

this is a great thread, sorry to hijack, but the taogart link was something that i have been looking for for a while

Learning how to run machines(lathe,mill,surface grinder) and read mics, calipers, scale, etc is key. So a class in machine shop is a great place to start. Those will be your foundation. Good luck!!!

Thank you guys so very much for all the help! That TAOGART program is amazing and thank you a ton for that link!!! I sort of wish it wasn't run by the government (I believe private would be best), but, heck, I'll take anything I can find!! Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking. I can even get paid for this!!

I sumbmitted the form with my info, is there any more I can do? Thank you.

Collin