• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Assault Pack

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I have a Ferro Concepts Slickster and want to put a small pack on the back of it. The slickster does not have molle on it. The pack I am looking at is the Haley Strategic Flatpack. I like how small in profile it is and how it can expand if needed.

You can either use it with the straps or attach it directly to the carrier via molle. I could have some molle sewn onto the carrier where the pack will sit, so that’s not a huge deal.

The question is, should it be attached to the carrier or no? The problem with using backpack straps is they can slide around on the carrier and it’s more straps to get in the way. Directly attaching the pack means someone else has to grab the stuff you need or you remove the carrier and put it back on.

I used both in the military, and the straps were definitely less popular. I plan on using it to carry NV, snacks, water, med kit, extra batteries, and some layering stuff like a rain jacket or etc.

Also open to more suggestions other than the haley pack.

Attachment method is personal choice. I tried the direct attachment thing and it was a tremendous pain in the ass. I noticed that getting in and out of vehicles was a pain in the ass. I also wound up carrying more in my cargo pockets so I wasn't always asking someone to grab something out of my pack.

A big consideration is who else will be around you? If you're going to be by yourself, direct attachment would definitely be the wrong choice.

Reactions: camocorvette
Alone?
-Separate Pack

With a team trains to a standard that requires you to carry something on your back for another member in a stack?
-Attached Pack

Personally I think the attached pack is really only efficient and effective for a specific purpose-driven team. It only seems to be popular because it’s become a stupid fad on IG by wannabe operators. Your best option is to just snag the pack, try it both ways, and see what works best for the purpose you’re getting it for.

Last edited:
I do have a larping group where we train together hoping 2020 doesn’t get worse. The vehicle aspect is a good point. Didn’t think about that one.

I don’t plan on stuffing the pack to max capacity. I have a mystery ranch 24-48hr pack that I use for day hikes if it requires carrying more than the basics. The main use is for carrying hydration and day/night specific stuff and mild weather changes such as rain gear.

Between my belt and the plate carrier, I would have 6 mags on me. If I need more than that, I’m probably in a really shitty situation or my defense in court will be in shambles lol. So I don’t anticipate putting anything in the pack that would need to be accessible in seconds...other than a med kit, but I already have a TQ on my belt.

I don’t think 2020 will bring civil war, but then again this year just keeps bringing more surprises.

Also open to more suggestions other than the haley pack.

I have the HS Flatpack. To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed when it arrived ... the construction was okay but not incredible, and the slick marketing inserts, plastic packaging, and overall feel just felt ... mass-produced.

It's also pretty small, depending on your definition of an assault pack - at 600 ci max, it doesn't fit a lot of gear.

If I was going for something of a similar size / use / mission, I'd probably now go for the Kifaru Escape and Evade: https://store.kifaru.net/escape-and-evade-785ci--128liters-p56.aspx

For a larger assault pack, Kifaru have other offerings, such as as the long-standing X-Ray, as well as some more recent designs: https://store.kifaru.net/day-packs-c40.aspx

AWS (link) makes good packs. I have their assault back and might replace my Eagle Industries 3 day with one of theirs.

I like the AWS assault pack more than the Eagle Industries because it has MOLLE on the sides instead of sewn on pockets.

Its main compartment is big enough for a poncho w/ liner and two MRE’s.

The Slickster is best enjoyed for what it is - an easily concealed, minimalist plate carrier. I was happy to sell mine and get a Crye JPC 2.0. Too many guys reporting the velcro shoulders failing to hold when they've added a little weight in addition to plates. Great concealment vest though, and comfy.

I have the HS Flatpack. To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed when it arrived ... the construction was okay but not incredible, and the slick marketing inserts, plastic packaging, and overall feel just felt ... mass-produced.

It's also pretty small, depending on your definition of an assault pack - at 600 ci max, it doesn't fit a lot of gear.

If I was going for something of a similar size / use / mission, I'd probably now go for the Kifaru Escape and Evade: https://store.kifaru.net/escape-and-evade-785ci--128liters-p56.aspx

For a larger assault pack, Kifaru have other offerings, such as as the long-standing X-Ray, as well as some more recent designs: https://store.kifaru.net/day-packs-c40.aspx

Disappointing to hear but not entirely surprised. I was hoping it wasn’t a cheap and over hyped pack, but a part of me felt like it probably is.

The Slickster is best enjoyed for what it is - an easily concealed, minimalist plate carrier. I was happy to sell mine and get a Crye JPC 2.0. Too many guys reporting the velcro shoulders failing to hold when they've added a little weight in addition to plates. Great concealment vest though, and comfy.

During a tactical games skirmish, I used the slickster with an AR500 plate and a 8lbs lvl4 plate. Probably close to 18lbs just in plates. Didn’t have any problems with the velcro not holding even after we got dumped on with rain.

The Hesco plates I have on order are 7lbs ea and the cummerbund holds a radio and one rifle mag. So it should be good to go. However, that does make me think that having the pack secured to the carrier could push the weight enough to not hold.

I went with the slickster thinking it would be a great option for something to wear more concealed under a hoodie or jacket if needed. Good thing I’m a smaller/stocky dude, so there is still a lot of velcro contact lol

The Haley pack is more of an ‘assaulter’ pack, not so much a ‘3-day assault pack’. Just depends on what you need it to do, and how much stuff you’re bringing. If you need food for 3 days, overnight equipment and a spare combat load, spec the size appropriately. If you need more room you can grab an Eagle MAP or YOTE pack used for cheap and have a lot more capacity in purpose made bags.

I had a spare 5.11 pack that wasn’t being used. I tried that and it sucks. It opens from the bottom and can be opened from either side. I have a Mystery Ranch 32L pack that’ll fit the needs of a multi-day adventure.

The pack I’m looking for is to carry spare mags, a couple multi-tools, batteries and stuff like that. I just don’t want everything rattling around, so a couple inside pockets would be nice.