• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Assault" rifle prices since Newtown

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
With all the "feeding frenzy" I see at gun stores since the Newtown massacre I may get a very good price for my Steyr AUG. Then I can afford a DTA rifle.
BUT... I really hate to part with it.

I can't say if "assault rifle"owners will be:
1. REQUIRED to give up "assault rifles"
2. forbidden to transfer them at all
or
3. just go back to the Clinton "ban" on imports

Nobody really knows what will pass Congress. With a Republican majority in the House hopefully there will be no transfer ban, just background checks required. I know Nutty Nancy Pelosi wants a transfer ban.

If there is a complete ban on even domestic manufacture of "assault -style" semi autos then prices will skyrocket on current rifles.

Decisions, decisions...

For damn sure a Federal total ban and "buy back" program will result in people burying their assault rifles. Can't blame 'em.
Of course then there will be a big run on large diameter PVC pipe, end caps and posthole diggers.

Talk about frikkin' "End Times"!

Re: "Assault" rifle prices since Newtown

I am loosing faith in the US slowly. To watch a free country turn to another sad govt run do as I believe shit hole.

+1 ^ If NY gets any worse I'm moving to another state.They have me scared to bring my AR out for coyote.

I'm "feeling", now, that they won't Ban the US Rifles. maybe Ban "imports", to fulfill a promise. Look at the economy. Do you think they'd shut down one of the strongest growing sectors of jobs, in the US, right now? They'll do a "show", and impose some restrictions, but no Ban. Just my thoughts, Josh. Grab what you can, right now, and in 6 mos., they'll{congress} will still be shining flashlights up each others asses, about this issue.

You really think they care about a few jobs?

I lost all of my guns when my boat sank, sucks.... but at least I have my bow and arrow.

I think they'll create a list with everything under the sun to be banned knowing only a fraction of what they ask for will be implemented. The things I think will approved are more in depth back ground checks, no more gun sales at gun shows, no more private gun sales, possibly no more on-line ammo sales as everything will have to be bought through an FFL. It's too costly and too dangerous to come for peoples firearms. The gov't knows they don't have the support of the police and the troops to do this. Some will follow suit but most will have zero interest in following such an order from someone they have no respect for especially when it means disarming their own friends and family only to be disarmed themselves when they are no longer in that govt. position. If ammo and powder are twice the price and if lowers are now to become registered NFA items, this will demolish the gun industry. Getting people to register their already owned weapons won't happen but moving forward making the ability to purchase a weapon will be 3 times as hard and as expensive and the ability to actually shoot ammo from that weapon will be 3 times as expensive. Of course this just my own 2 cents so hopefully none of this will come to fruition.

OOOOH yeah. The economy is the first priority! This will get "pushed off", for a while. Debate, for 6 mo's. How many companies moved to US manufacturing facilities after the first ban on "Imports"? Look at FN. They built a MAJOR factory in the US to "combat" future action, on imports. These companies are the "strongest" in the economy, now. They "wouldn't dare" shut them down.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really think they care about a few jobs? </div></div>

Umm, it's not an "assault rifle" unless it is full-auto.
We need, we must break the stigma of this.
Please for the sake of us all educate everyone you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Umm, it's not an "assault rifle" unless it is full-auto.
Please for the sake of us all educate everyone you can. </div></div>

Kinda bad when you have to point it out to a gun shop like I did.

If they cared about jobs, they wouldn't be trying to raise taxes on small business, would repeal 0bamacare, and ease regulation. They don't give a shit about our rights, the Constitution, or our economy.

Why does everyone "hope" the government won't ban this or that. You guys that are only hoping deserve to lose what you have! The anti-gun group isn't hoping, their acting, their organized, and they will win if we let them. Those "people" in Washington work for us and as politicians they will yield to which ever side makes the most noise! Quit hoping and contact all of the House Reps and Senators!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> OOOOH yeah. The economy is the first priority! This will get "pushed off", for a while. Debate, for 6 mo's. How many companies moved to US manufacturing facilities after the first ban on "Imports"? Look at FN. They built a MAJOR factory in the US to "combat" future action, on imports. These companies are the "strongest" in the economy, now. They "wouldn't dare" shut them down.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really think they care about a few jobs? </div></div> </div></div>

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you. YOUR WRONG! They don't care about a few jobs. They don't care about the firearms industry at all.

Do you understand how you control people? I highly doubt you do. 1) is to disarm them. 2) is to get them to rely on the government for all their needs.

Do I need to explain more, or do you get it now?

As the last election proved ,they are the majority now and we will have to fight tooth and nail to save the 2nd amendment. We will lose some of our rights ,how much will depend on how much and hard we fight it . Dark days indeed .

Save it. Its all the protects the rest of the Constitution. When/if its gone, it means you should have been using it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they cared about jobs, they wouldn't be trying to raise taxes on small business, would repeal 0bamacare, and ease regulation. They don't give a shit about our rights, the Constitution, or our economy. </div></div>

^^^^This

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">How do you</span></span> control people? I highly doubt you do. 1) is to disarm them. 2) is to get them to rely on the government for all their needs.

Do I need to explain more, or do you get it now? </div></div>

^^^^This too.

Modified for reposting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">"Why does everyone "hope" the government won't ban this or that. You guys that are only hoping deserve to lose what you have! The anti-gun group isn't hoping, their acting, their organized, and they will win if we let them. Those "people" in Washington work for us and as politicians they will yield to which ever side makes the most noise! Quit hoping and contact all of the House Reps and Senators!"</span>
</div></div>
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin

If people spent their time acting instead of complaining this would not be a problem. Go out and get involved. Ask the brits and the Aussies how it happened to them. They would say that they didn't think it would happen. They will also say that they did not think that a weapons ban would pass.

If I have learned anything from my short time on earth, its If you want it done right do it yourself. Things never change unless you are determined to change them. I seen this time and time again. I have done and will continue to do my part everyday to prevent our rights from being taken away.

I always get asked why do I need assault weapons. My friend put it in prospective for me the other day. He said "Its a right to bear arms, the next time someone tells you to give up your right to bear arms then ask them to give up their right to due process, or their 4th amendment right that gives protection from illegal search and seizure. You cant just give up a little bit of the rights, once it has been done then its a slippery slope. Who is really ready to start giving up their right to due process or illegal search and seizure? Maybe instead of having probable cause we will just arrest based on popular belief that a crime has been committed".

I agreed. Once you start agreeing to give up certain rights it will never stop. The government is not in the business of loosing power. The government will never give the rights or their power back to the people.

Feinstein wants to grandfather all semi-auto rifles and ban all transfers with current owners having to register their weapons - when the current owner dies, the rifle becomes gov't property and gets crushed or whatever.

BUT. Depending on filibuster reform, she probably can't get her bill on the floor for a final vote. Which is probably a moot point because to pass the House, in the next session, they have to flip 26 Republicans, and that's assuming all the Democrats vote in favor. Those numbers are the only comfort I have in this entire mess.

according to feind-stein you would be grandfathered but you would also have to register all weapons with the NFA

I realize I may be the only NRA msmber on this forum who is ALSO a Democrat but when it comes to preserving the 2nd Ammendment I am as conservative as they come.

To me "the people" in the 2nd Ammendment means ALL THE PEOPLE, just as it does in the rest of the Constitution. The meaning of that term, "the people", cannot be changed and any law that does so is unconstitutional.

We, "the people", must preserve the meaning of that term by pressuring Congress to preserve our 2nd Ammentment rights. We MUST contact ALl our congressmen and senators by BOTH phone and e-mail, just to make the point stick.

I'm personally OK with mandatory Federal gun safes. After all, you can't legally go boating without a US Coast Guard approved life jacket for each person aboard. The same should apply to firearms ownership, IMHO. No firearms ownership W/O a federally appeoved gun safe. This makes your home less likely to be burglarized for guns and prevents Columbine-type gun thefts.

I'm (barely) OK with registration of ALL firearms sales and transfers.

I'm NOT OK right now with registering all unregistered firearms but I can see it coming. I say let a "transfer registration" requirement handle it over time.

I'm NOT OK with registration of ammo and ammo component sales. How much ammo I have is nobody's damn business.
(Will "armor piercing" ammo will be outlawed? Does that mean I have to surrender any ammo with tungsten cores?)

I get a gag reflex when I write about these restrictions (except gun safe requirements)but we WILL have to swallow some restrictions. That is almost a given.

Just wondering, regarding my reply above, how many are OK with federally mandated gun safes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering, regarding my reply above, how many are OK with federally mandated gun safes?</div></div>
No Fucking Way.
The Federal government needs stay the fuck out of our lives as much as possible.
Good grief.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Umm, it's not an "assault rifle" unless it is full-auto.
Please for the sake of us all educate everyone you can. </div></div>

What about my "DCM" M-1 Garand? That's a real "assault rifle".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering, regarding my reply above, how many are OK with federally mandated gun safes? </div></div>

Don't go there. You obviously have never been near a GSA safe in your life.

Boating is a privilege, just like driving. The 2nd Amendment is a RIGHT just like the other 9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering, regarding my reply above, how many are OK with federally mandated gun safes? </div></div>

By the time they were finished with the specifications the 2K Fort Knox would be 5K, not no but HELL NO.

If enough people tell them to piss off they cant do shit .At some point or another this countey is gonna have to be taken back period.

Lets see, I have my APPROVED safe and i'm sure I will need trigger locks also on each gun. To make sure I put my guns in the safe and lock the door we need to pass laws for that also. Now that I have a safe and my guns are locked inside we need to come in and audit your premises too approve that you are in compliance with the regulations. Hummm this sounds like a good thing to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does everyone "hope" the government won't ban this or that. You guys that are only hoping deserve to lose what you have! The anti-gun group isn't hoping, their acting, their organized, and they will win if we let them. Those "people" in Washington work for us and as politicians they will yield to which ever side makes the most noise! Quit hoping and contact all of the House Reps and Senators! </div></div>
I've already written to Obama, my NV senator, and Wayne Pierre. Be positive, offer practical solutions, state you are against another AWB. I focused on firearm security - keeping our guns out of the hands of others who don't have our permission or require supervision. Rural Democrats may be the key to limiting the damage, people like Congressman Mike Ross of District 4 in Arkansas. If you live in a rural area and have a Democrat for your Congressman, then write to him or her. In my case, my other senator is Harry Reid. Luckily, he supports gun rights but I don't know how it will play out with him. I'd rather have him in charge than Pelosi or Feinstein.

Be proactive, stop fretting and start writing/e-mailing.

BTW, the last time I bought a gun in CA I was asked for the brand and model of gun safe I own and its serial number. Ain't no big thing unless they want to audit you in person, then it becomes onerous. If your guns are used in a crime, then you might incur a huge liability if you didn't have them secured.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">write who ya want...the pen is not mightier. sorry </div></div>
You may not change Obama's mind -- or Pelosi's or Feinstein's -- but at least they won't we able to say 99% of their mail was anti-gun. That means they will have to find another justification or modify the final legislation. Imagine their mail 70% against another AWB, what are they gonna do? I think you underestimate the effect of many pens on Washington. There will be many pens only if people like you take time to write an e-mail or two.

I'm with the ones saying write your congressman. All I can say is thank god for the fiscal cliff, gun law is taking a serious back seat right now (except at the range and on forums like this).

There have always been a couple of gun control bills brought up in the House or Senate each year and they never make it out of committee. Thanks largely due to our support of the NRA. After the Newtown shooting and the liberal news biased polls, a gun control bill may make it to a vote and we all need to voice our concern to our congressmen. This will be the only way make sure that we keep our Second amedment rights.

Also, The prices of assault weapons and ammo looks like it is going up but I believe this will only be short lived and I for one plan to remember any business that gouged the customers on the prices of these items and will not do any business with them.
If enough people do this and let it be known, we can get back to enjoying our recreation sooner.

Obviously your perspective isn't as long as mine. We started down this road in the 1930s regulating machine guns, SBRs, destructive devices, poision gas and a catch all called Any Other Weapon. THAT is the "common sense / reasonable" gun legislation a modern society compromised on. Back ground checks, licenses, finger-prints. But you can still have them, Mr. Citizen.

1968 gun control act created the modern FFL system and a 4473 to keep bad guys from getting them.

1986 outlawed any new machine guns to civilians. But older ones are grandfathered. Common sense. No sporting purpose and all that crap.

1993 started with waiting periods until there was an active NICs check. You know, those bad guys lie on those 4473 forms. Oh and they debated having a gun registry and they wanted to keep those NICs records for...you know....common sense. P.S. some places never gave up the waiting periods REGARDLESS OF NICs!

1994 created a whole new class of weapon never seen before called the AWB. Beat everybody over the head with it. If you we're against it, you were out of touch. They even bribed a bunch of holdouts against it with a sunset clause. Figuring nobody would undo it later.

2004 AWB expires. By taking no action.

2009 Obama administration uses uncontrolled delivery of assault weapons to drug cartels in Mexico to try and create a fervor for new AWB ban. Program called Fast and Furious. They got busted on it. People died. People will go to jail over it.

2012 October: Obama gets on national TV and says in a live debate he wishes to restore AWB.

2012 December. Documented mentally ill person that should have been in asylum ( oh ? You can't actually name your local asylum since the Feds closed them in the 70s and those people live in cardboard boxes on sidewalks. And whenever a republican is in office show pictures of them suffering under "heartless" selfish rich, white guy policies) goes and commits murder, steals guns, commits more murder.

2012 December democrats rush out and talk about common sense gun legislation (see 1930s, 1960s, 1980s, 1990s) and want restrict more so called assault weapons.

2012 December: bills being put together by usual suspects and its obvious they are intent on regulating most semi-auto guns out of private hands. Even through a basic death tax format.

At what point are you going to look at the man in the mirror and stop kidding yourself? If they had enacted national registration in the 90s? Would they be calling for them all to be turned in today? We both damn well know they would.

And as alluded to before, I have dealt with Crane vault standards. Hell! I own one! You can't touch that for less than 8000$. The Lock alone is 1600$. And if it doesn't come straight from a certified GSA locksmith, it doesn't meet the standard. So you have to recertify everything. Read that as no used / secondary market.

You are probably thinking I'm going way off the reservation by now. My post is loquacious. But know this, you give someone the power to give you a license, you are giving them the power to take it away. Don't bullshit yourself, son.

The common sense aregument was made in the 30s. Semi-auto is just that. You pull the trigger one time, you are responsible for that round. PERIOD! No guns running away from their users. THAT'S THE COMPROMISE FROM 80 years ago!!!

These people have no clue what they are talking about. What's next? 625 revolvers? Blaser straight-pull bolt guns? They run just as fast as semi-autos?

Stop compromising. We did that in the 1930s. The rest is bull.

TTR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I realize I may be the only NRA msmber on this forum who is ALSO a Democrat but when it comes to preserving the 2nd Ammendment I am as conservative as they come.

To me "the people" in the 2nd Ammendment means ALL THE PEOPLE, just as it does in the rest of the Constitution. The meaning of that term, "the people", cannot be changed and any law that does so is unconstitutional.

We, "the people", must preserve the meaning of that term by pressuring Congress to preserve our 2nd Ammentment rights. We MUST contact ALl our congressmen and senators by BOTH phone and e-mail, just to make the point stick.

I'm personally OK with mandatory Federal gun safes. After all, you can't legally go boating without a US Coast Guard approved life jacket for each person aboard. The same should apply to firearms ownership, IMHO. No firearms ownership W/O a federally appeoved gun safe. This makes your home less likely to be burglarized for guns and prevents Columbine-type gun thefts.

I'm (barely) OK with registration of ALL firearms sales and transfers.

I'm NOT OK right now with registering all unregistered firearms but I can see it coming. I say let a "transfer registration" requirement handle it over time.

I'm NOT OK with registration of ammo and ammo component sales. How much ammo I have is nobody's damn business.
(Will "armor piercing" ammo will be outlawed? Does that mean I have to surrender any ammo with tungsten cores?)

I get a gag reflex when I write about these restrictions (except gun safe requirements)but we WILL have to swallow some restrictions. That is almost a given.

</div></div>

Can you sir, please tell me, which of the remaining amendments you are willing to compromise for your liberal bretherns agendas?
Why is it we are so willing to offer rights earned in blood to a regime that supports cowardice and leaching of those who do by those who don't ,just because they ask?

23.”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
I don't have to say another word

"Assault" rifle prices since Newtown? Glad you asked! Are you guys seeing crazy prices out there on AR-15's? Plain Jane models are marked up to $2,500 here.

I walked out of a gun shop that has lost my business for good. Some dealers are so single-minded on making a quick buck that they are willing to alienate their entire customer base to do so. Just like the last primer shortage, I'm not one to forget who raised their prices to crazy levels, and who did not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocLes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23.”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
I don't have to say another word </div></div>

Well stated.

I hate the government in our lives but federally mandated gun safes is about the best outcome we can have as of now.
Im not batting for it but its not a bad idea to try to pitch it to divert their attention.
Stolen guns are a problem and the rightful, legal, sane owner of the weapons used in conn was murdered and they were stolen.
How bout federally mandated gun safes that can be taken as a tax deduction or a rebate. Safe companies win with business, firearm owners with with safes that can reduce their taxable income and provide security.
I also hate the government giving tax breaks and giving my money away but whats the best outcome we can expect at this point...?

I hope that no matter what passes every person who values their liberty "refuse" any of their absurd legistlation.

Need I quote Ben Franklin?

Guns have only two enemies:
Rust and Politicians

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

An armed man is a citizen.
An unarmed man is a subject.

Those who trade liberty for Security have neither

I'm counting on the miniscule attention-span of the average 'murican coupled with the layoffs/hour reduction that will be BREATHTAKING in 2013 to direct attention away from a futile attempt to expend energy on the SYMPTOMS of the mental health problems in this country.

It's been said that narcissism used to be a tiny footnote in Sigmund Freud's notebook..... yes, back when Garands and M1 carbines were sold over the counter no questions asked...now look around...

somewhat related question...does any one know how long records of current purchases are kept by the feds and by the state? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geevee35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">somewhat related question...does any one know how long records of current purchases are kept by the feds and by the state? Thanks</div></div>

records of specific purchases aren't kept by the federal government (at least not officially), states vary, but most states don't ever get any record.

the only record for a non NFA firearms purchase given to the federal government is the NICS check, it includes your name, DOB, place of birth, state of residence, and a physical description, along w/ the TYPE of firearm (IE: longgun, handgun, other firearm)...

yes the 4473 has you SSN, DL #, address, make, model, serial #, caliber of the firearm(s), but this info is never given to the government, unless a trace of a firearm is initiated. this info is retained by the dealer for a period of not less than 20yrs

so all that the federal government knows if that you bought a handgun (for example) on X date, and supposedly, that info is purged from NICS every 24hrs

but honestly, I don't buy it...

They know exactly what you bought if you buy multiple handguns with in 5 days. Otherwise, they don't know, or aren't suppose to know, what you purchased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Waage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate the government in our lives but federally mandated gun safes is about the best outcome we can have as of now.
Im not batting for it but its not a bad idea to try to pitch it to divert their attention.
Stolen guns are a problem and the rightful, legal, sane owner of the weapons used in conn was murdered and they were stolen.
How bout federally mandated gun safes that can be taken as a tax deduction or a rebate. Safe companies win with business, firearm owners with with safes that can reduce their taxable income and provide security.
I also hate the government giving tax breaks and giving my money away but whats the best outcome we can expect at this point...?
</div></div>

Agreed ... if that mom in CT had secured her firearms, that kid of hers would not have been able to cause the carnage he did; if the owner of the AR had secured his firearm out in Oregon, the mall shooter would not have been able to steal it. A poll was done not to long ago and roughly 47% of Americans who own firearms and have kids in the house have them unsecured. Having firearms properly secured makes far more sense than banning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I realize I may be the only NRA msmber on this forum who is ALSO a Democrat.....</div></div>

I'm at least glad to know that there will be some Democrats who will stand up against this baloney.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm personally OK with mandatory Federal gun safes. </div></div>

This is ridiculous. Who would pay for that? You can bet your bottom dollar the cost of gun safes would look like ARs and Pmags do right now if something like this were passed. The government shouldn't require you to purchase something simply to keep other people from breaking the law (i.e. stealing your guns). Where is liberty in that? We all want to stop gun violence, but this is NOT the way.
I wholeheartedly agree that people should be safe and secure their firearms and ammo, but this is NOT the answer. Eventually criminals will find ways to defeat the safes. Why doesn't the government just force everyone to buy security systems for their homes too? Or maybe wheel locks for their wheels....because it's bad for people to steal your wheels too. Or maybe locks for your glue and compressed air canisters....because evil people huff that stuff and get high?

Since it is never ending, it should never be allowed to begin.

Will you be willing to allow a government regulated or approved device for Internet access in the future? Isn't that the first thing they take after all these shootings , that is where the cAuse comes from, the violent games.It is only common sense that if we allow them right to regulate our firearm storage, Under the same logic, it will also lead to computer control, and bleed over to your garage doors and car ignition systems.

Why are we willing to give anything today, what will you gladly offer to Hillary when her regime in in control? Surly know one believes this is the end of a nut with a gun creating victims , then they will ask for more. Quit willingly give in, it is your rights people,don't compromise them!

To those who have no problem with a mandatory gun safe:

Have you ever thought of how this would be enforced?

First there would have to be another level of beaucracy.
Then the government would have the right to come into our homes without a search warrant to check for a gun safe. And if the gun safe was not approved, which a gun safe could be turned down on a technicality, the government would remove your firearms.

Are you willing to give up these rights also?

Yesterday I saw a base model 20" bushmaster at 2100.00 and a so-so DPMS Compact at 2800.00. Unreal.