• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Assistance setting up a 22lr for NRL22

kjeff91

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I've been to a couple matches with a buddy using his rifle and it's been an absolute blast. The ammo is much cheaper, and shooting suppressed always a good time. Now I'm off to start my own build for competing locally. I don't plan on really trying to hit nationals or win anything crazy, it's just for fun using a gun I like. Base versus Open class don't matter to me at this point since it's really just me versus him at the end of the day.

I'm looking at the CZ Varmint Precision MTR (both the CF Manners stock and the chassis version, both the 16" versions) and the Bergara B14r. I've heard nothing but great things about these rifles. The only thing swaying me between the two is the Bergara comes with a rail and I'd need to buy one for the CZ. However I wouldn't be able to shoot the rifle before the rail comes in anyway, so it feels more of a moot point. The Manners stock looks siiiiiick, and so does the chassis version. Is one of these three options better than the other? I don't have a "long range" build so being similar to another rifle I own isn't really a thing that'd help me.

For optics, I've been eyeing the Vortex Venom 5-25x. It seems pretty comparable to my buddy's Viper PST II but at a pretty good price reduction. It's WAY better than a Diamondback Tactical I've been using too on another gun. Is this a decent option at the price range I'm looking? Everything is in stock at my local Scheels (except for the rail for the CZ) and they price match online too which is awesome. Last time I was there they had SK Plus stacked deep for about $7.50 a box.

Any input on these options, or better options, would be greatly appreciated! If I missed any pertinent info that helps with recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

Great price on SK Plus, usually $9+ a box.

Any of them are great rifles, friends have both CZ models with the match chambers and they shoot great. The chassis model has better adjustability than the MTR, if you are very tall or short is something to keep in mind. If you are trying to mimic the feel of a centerfire that has a Manners stock then the choice is obvious. The one ding on the CZ's is the curved magazines, you have to be mindful of not putting them into the bag or prop or instant malfunction.

Whatever fits you and your preferences is the best answer between the three of them.

The Venom has very bright glass, a good reticle and good illumination. The only dings I'll throw at it are with the zero stop, it uses a an add-in collar that limits the overall travel of the turret and doesn't truly stop at 0, it can go below it. Provided you can mentally deal with that it's fine for NRL22. If you plan on ever doing NRL22X and longer ranges then the travel limiting with the collar becomes an issue.

I love my Bergara B14R. I've had it about nine months or so and like it more and more every time I shoot it.

I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 on it. Huge scope but it's mainly for use on a range anyway. I've found it to be very clear and repeatable dialling up 49 MOA to shoot at 300m, then back down to the zero and making tiny groups again, right on point of aim.

I've been using mainly ELEY Team and Match in it and it shoots well under MOA out to 300m. I'm pretty happy that my .22 can do that.

It's in the factory stock and I've no plans to change it any time soon.

The next thing I want though is a lighter trigger. Nothing wrong with the factory one, I just want a real light one for shooting groups off the bench.
Trigger Tech Diamond grabs my eye but are very expensive down here at the bottom of the world. Everything is expensive down here at the bottom of the world.

I looked at the CZ rifles when I was deciding what to buy, but decided that while they are great rifles and I own a couple, the Bergara with so many parts in common with the Remington 700, was what I wanted.

peKW9Qt.jpg

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Great price on SK Plus, usually $9+ a box.

Any of them are great rifles, friends have both CZ models with the match chambers and they shoot great. The chassis model has better adjustability than the MTR, if you are very tall or short is something to keep in mind. If you are trying to mimic the feel of a centerfire that has a Manners stock then the choice is obvious. The one ding on the CZ's is the curved magazines, you have to be mindful of not putting them into the bag or prop or instant malfunction.

Whatever fits you and your preferences is the best answer between the three of them.

The Venom has very bright glass, a good reticle and good illumination. The only dings I'll throw at it are with the zero stop, it uses a an add-in collar that limits the overall travel of the turret and doesn't truly stop at 0, it can go below it. Provided you can mentally deal with that it's fine for NRL22. If you plan on ever doing NRL22X and longer ranges then the travel limiting with the collar becomes an issue.
I've never really utilized a zero stop, would you say its important in NRL22? Or just remember what settings I need for my zero?

I love my Bergara B14R. I've had it about nine months or so and like it more and more every time I shoot it.

I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 on it. Huge scope but it's mainly for use on a range anyway. I've found it to be very clear and repeatable dialling up 49 MOA to shoot at 300m, then back down to the zero and making tiny groups again, right on point of aim.

I've been using mainly ELEY Team and Match in it and it shoots well under MOA out to 300m. I'm pretty happy that my .22 can do that.

It's in the factory stock and I've no plans to change it any time soon.

The next thing I want though is a lighter trigger. Nothing wrong with the factory one, I just want a real light one for shooting groups off the bench.
Trigger Tech Diamond grabs my eye but are very expensive down here at the bottom of the world. Everything is expensive down here at the bottom of the world.

I looked at the CZ rifles when I was deciding what to buy, but decided that while they are great rifles and I own a couple, the Bergara with so many parts in common with the Remington 700, was what I wanted.

peKW9Qt.jpg
The biggest knock I've read so far against the B14R is that the bolt can be a bit stiff to close which can induce a bit of shaking of the scope on target. Have you experienced this?

Absolutely necessary. Do not buy a scope without one especially of your going to shoot matches with it.
Or use a rail and Burris XTR rings to put enough cant in your setup that you cannot dial a full turn of elevation below your zero. A zero stop that does not remove a lot of elevation travel can add a lot to your optic budget.

I've never really utilized a zero stop, would you say its important in NRL22? Or just remember what settings I need for my zero?
It's mandatory. Because you'll be spinning that turret like a top and It's really easy to end up a turn off if there's no stop.

Check with @gr8fuldoug, he has the Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 available.
Personally, I think Athlon does a better job with their Chinese made riflescopes.
You don't lose any elevation with the Athlon.

For long targets you'll be spinning a turret two or more revs. It's easy to get it wrong when going back without a zero stop. Just spin it back till it stops with a zero stop. I've got the B14 R, it's bee great, added a 20 moa rail, 30 probably would have been better considering it's 20+ mils up for a 400 yard target. Cronus scope and an Area 419 rail and clamp for my atlas bipod. Changed the spring on the trigger and it's fine, though a TT trigger would be better. I like the athlon scopes, I have a midas tac on another .22 and it works great and focuses close as well. I really like their reticles.