• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Astroscope 9350

westsidecamper

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2020
First off, many thanks to everyone who posts Night Vision info and write ups. I've learned more about NV here than anywhere else. I figured it is time to give back by sharing info about this amazing NV device I took a chance on. This should be a treat for anyone who has tried recording through a pvs-14.

The Astroscope 9350 is a modular device that adapts gen 3 night vision to any number of system cameras. It can also be turned into a pocketscope. The main thing that attracted me to it, however, is the availability of back body adapters for common full frame system cameras that should give a sharp image with little to no vignetting. As far as I can tell, it's the only game in town that can adapt real gen 3 night vision to Canon EF and Nikon F mount and retain all the features. This does come with some caveats which I will get into later.

The system for Canon EF lenses (what I have) has 3 main parts. A front lens adapter, back body adapter, and central intensifier unit. The central intensifier unit is a clamshell that holds a 10160 tube and passes power from the camera to the tube. This means that no external power is needed for the tube, it draws the same power as the lens normally would and passes power to the lens as well. There are variable gain and auto gain front lens adapters to work with variable or autogain tubes. The caveat here is that it means manual EF lenses without power contacts (for example, the Rokinon 24mm that everyone loves) will not work. Also, for whatever reason, the back body adapter projects an APS-C sized image circle. Astroscope does sell a full frame adapter that fixes this issue for full frame users. However, this system does (IMO, miraculously) work with speedboosters and adapters for other camera systems. I've been using this system solely on a micro four thirds Panasonic GH5 with a Viltrox speedbooster, and it's been working pretty well. It does fill the frame in 1080p with zero vignetting unless I do something that makes IBIS kick in hard. It also is a bit heavy, I weighed it in at over 1 lb 15 oz with a Canon 50mm F1.8 (a very light lens), which is something to keep in mind. I'll post some unedited test shots soon and a test video and let you guys judge the performance. In the meantime here is a pic of the absolute unit.

Attachments

• 20210315_131513.jpg
    20210315_131513.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 77
Very nice. How does this compare to the GEM-II?

I will say this, if I were DP on a big production, I would be very happy with using the variable gain version with this exact setup but a much wider lens as a stunt camera or a special additional shot where we want to show truthful use of NV. With infrared illumination the image quality is quite, quite good. It doesn't even seem like analog NV with illumination, it just looks like you graded some daytime footage without giveaways like eye shine. I'll post an example of test shot with and without illumination from a DBAL-D2.

One tip from using mine - adjust your flange focal distance with the threaded ring in the middle to make the rear phosphor project nice and sharply on your sensor. Just tightening it down fully snug can be an issue on some systems and make it soft.

It would be nice to come up with some sort of contact bridging thing to tuck in behind a cine or similar dumb lens to tell the body to keep pumping power through the unit.

One tip from using mine - adjust your flange focal distance with the threaded ring in the middle to make the rear phosphor project nice and sharply on your sensor. Just tightening it down fully snug can be an issue on some systems and make it soft.

It would be nice to come up with some sort of contact bridging thing to tuck in behind a cine or similar dumb lens to tell the body to keep pumping power through the unit.
That would be awesome. I bet someone has come up with similar but I haven't been able to find anything.

I've been getting pretty sharp results but I'll definitely take your tip and test it out.
If you've got experience opening up the CIU or with how variable gain works, DM me as I'd like to troubleshoot a few things. This is a mystery unit I got on eBay so I have no idea where to go for support 🤣

As promised here are some test shots.
Chicken coop is about 10 yards away. Kamado Joe is about 1 yard away. Only editing I did was sizing them down a bit. 36mm actual focal length, 72mm effective.

Attachments

• P1022294-2.jpg
    P1022294-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • P1022295-2.jpg
    P1022295-2.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 116
  • P1022296-2.jpg
    P1022296-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
Given youtube's aggressive compression and Vimeo's aggressive content policy, where do you guys think I should upload the test video? It's only 17 seconds long.

New test shot. Great half moon and clear sky, unit performed beautifully. This target is a 7x12" mini IPSC on a t post hanger and we're about 105 yards away. I found it really easy to make calls even through the camera. Illumination is from a DBAL-D2. Lens used is Canon 100mm EF f/2 USM, a lens I would highly recommend for this application. Thanks to the DBAL I was able to use a high frame rate and capture the glint off the Sierra 125 gr gamechanger bullets for a couple frames.

Reactions: SierraLima