• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft At what distance are military sniper shots taken?

natesfitness

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2009
400 yards out
www.natesfitness.com
There is a lot of info on the average distance of shots taken by law enforcement snipers. I was very surprised to see the average as short as 77 yards, but it does make sense knowing that they try and get as close as they can. At what distance are most military sniper shots taken? I've done some searching and haven't come up with any numbers.

Re: Average Military sniper shot distance?

I am not sure if ant research is available on that subject.

I would think it would be in the 300 to 400 yard range.

anyone?

Not sure they are going to release it! OPSEC Kinda gives the bad guys a range to mortar and bomb at.

i am not a sniper, but the most shots our company snipers took ranged from 150meters to roughly 400meters. of course there is always the "bigger balls" stories where others had talked about longer shots out to 600meters, but it wasnt many. the skt's and hide sites that i was in with them for urban had shots from 50m to 250m because of the urban terrain. the 50m guy just about shot our sniper's teeth out. outside of urban it went from 200m to 400m most of the time. just what ive seen.

All of this depends on the area the sniper is operating in. In urban enviorments the snipers view is extremely limited, there as in a woodland enviorment it can be much larger allowing for longer shots. To my knowledge the is no "average" shot distance, but if you did hard enough im sure you can find some figures on the average distance of view for different terrains. I am just not willing to disclose any numbers.

An average would be meaningless, anyway, even if the data existed to calculate it.

A warrior trains to accomplish the tasks he might need to execute - not the "average".

Damn it Lindy.... Beat me to it.

I'll say it anyways... Averages mean nothing. And the average LE sniper shot is approximately 51 yards. So lets talk LE Sniper shots. To get that "average", lets look at the numbers. The data shows a sniper shot at 225 yards and one at 5 yards and 217 other shots at distances in between.... So does 51 yards accurately represent the average sniper shot in LE?

My team went out to our county with the laser and found farms that were located approximately 500 yards from the nearest cover/concealment. So we decided to get dope beyond 500 yards for that reason. We train for both extremes, point blank and "holy shit that is far for LE" and everything in between.

Maybe "Average" should not be thought of as an exact single number when considering all shot taken. Maybe a better way to put it would be "at what range are most shots taken"... But Lindys point is 100% accurate.

I would interject that the term "average distance" in a military application is somewhat meaningless, as the criteria for sending it is always scenerio dependant. How important is it that I make a first round hit? Am I in a secure position or do I have to break contact after the shot or shots? From a defended location, a scenerio might be encountered where you are engaging moving vehicles rapid fire at a 1000 or more. In other circumstances, it would likely be prudent to restrain yourself and stalk closer. I guess, like everyone else has said, it all depends.

There are so many constantly changing variables in a military situation that it's impossible to gain anything of value from the average, even if it were known.

In reality anything from within 100 yards to past 1000 yards.

I beleive 600 yards is pretty nice range for the 308, if one were able to pick and choose. Easier concealment, wind effects not too bad, accuracy potential pretty good, enough TOF to recover in the scope and observe hit/miss, good terminal ballistics.

At whatever distance the sniper is from the hadji at any given point in time...

"African or European"...

they can grip the rpg by the husk!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am not a sniper, but the most shots our company snipers took ranged from 150meters to roughly 400meters. of course there is always the "bigger balls" stories where others had talked about longer shots out to 600meters, but it wasnt many. the skt's and hide sites that i was in with them for urban had shots from 50m to 250m because of the urban terrain. the 50m guy just about shot our sniper's teeth out. outside of urban it went from 200m to 400m most of the time. just what ive seen. </div></div>

Balls (read, lack of brains)is working to close, not far. I understand there was a single shot once, in the Nampo region, 80', yes 80 foot, which was verified via the rest of the 3 man team in the AAR.

My personal guess; 2,430m (or 2,657yds), average that is...
wink.gif

Cheers,
TheLongShot

The old Marine sniper that ran the test shed at Quantico for years, had a kill at 6.5 feet in Vietnam, with a finely-tuned M14.

I have never found any documentation that backs up what the average LE sniper shot is. It's like what cowboy bravo said, in the LE world it depends on what kind of area you are working in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am not a sniper, but the most shots our company snipers took ranged from 150meters to roughly 400meters. of course there is always the "bigger balls" stories where others had talked about longer shots out to 600meters, but it wasnt many. the skt's and hide sites that i was in with them for urban had shots from 50m to 250m because of the urban terrain. the 50m guy just about shot our sniper's teeth out. outside of urban it went from 200m to 400m most of the time. just what ive seen. </div></div>

Balls (read, lack of brains)is working to close, not far. I understand there was a single shot once, in the Nampo region, 80', yes 80 foot, which was verified via the rest of the 3 man team in the AAR. </div></div>

we werent trying to get close. he popped out and shot at us in our hide so we killed him. the bigger balls stories were from talking to other people who, like us all, make the distance a little further just to seem more badass. one time i caught a fish |___________________________________| big!

Re: At what distance are military sniper shots taken?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At what distance are most military sniper shots taken? </div></div>

Not sure about now, but in Vietnam, the average was 430 yards (they called 'em meters)

According to Peter R. Senich's books, The Long Range War, sniping in Vietnam And Limited War Sniping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Echo 5 Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never found any documentation that backs up what the average LE sniper shot is. It's like what cowboy bravo said, in the LE world it depends on what kind of area you are working in. </div></div>

My father in law drove for yellow freight for decades in San Diego, once while taking a truck-full of Black Hills to the SDPD, he got into a conversation with one of their marksman who, at the time, said that there has never been an authorization given for a shot past one hundred meters. Now granted that was a few years back, probably closer to 10.

Quote from americansnipers.org

"What is the average distance of a police sniper shooting in the United States? When most people in the tactical community are asked this question, the answers tend to be in the range of 70 -77 yards. When asked about the source of their information, almost all allude to "the FBI statistics." Would it come as a shock to you to hear this is a myth?
The American Sniper Association tried to obtain a copy of that report to study and evaluate. We checked a variety of resources and followed referrals to people who would have the report. Much to our surprise, we discovered the report does not exist. According to the FBI, they do not, nor have they ever, collected that kind of data.
For thirty years, that "70 something" number has been reported as fact. Schools, manuals and articles refer to it to this very day. It has been used as the justification for training, equipping and deploying snipers for decades. The foundation for all of those beliefs and practices does not exist."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The old Marine sniper that ran the test shed at Quantico for years, had a kill at 6.5 feet in Vietnam, with a finely-tuned M14. </div></div>

was that a first round hit though?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The old Marine sniper that ran the test shed at Quantico for years, had a kill at 6.5 feet in Vietnam, with a finely-tuned M14. </div></div>

Short range must be a 14 thing,
laugh.gif
as the 80 footer was with a XM21.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Echo 5 Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never found any documentation that backs up what the average LE sniper shot is. It's like what cowboy bravo said, in the LE world it depends on what kind of area you are working in. </div></div>

Contact the American Sniper Assoc. They published the data in 2005.... Oh, they won't give it to you unless you are Mil or LE.

i think that given the current conflicts, it would be hard to determine an average because snipers are acting in so many different roles. An average distance in say an iraqi city with a dmr would be far shorter then the distance of a "soft" target in the mountains of afganistan with a m40a3. These could potentially be much shorter then a "hard" target shot with an m107. It seems to me like it is to broad of a question.

Re: At what distance are military sniper shots tak

Once while really drunk, the wind whispered in my ear the number 322.8. Im pretty sure it was referring to the mean distance of military sniper shots.

Im learning to never question the wind.

Reactions: jorefice

i think it all varys on the situation, in afghan we had contacts from between 50-500m but the snipers were going out to around 1400m ish! but i've heard of other snipers not using there longs and using 5.56 as they never had engagements over 200, iraq is difficult and so is more conventional war fighting.

my cuz said they was using .223 within 600, and then tried to stretch out there when they borrowed some 855s.

There is no way to accurately answer that. Military snipers have varying conitions. Population, terrain, number of combatants, ROE,....ect. Shots can be taken from point blank (pistol) to 1500 yards or more (.50bmg), and anywhere inbetween. The only way to find out the average is to know how many confirmed kills there are in an armed conflict. Unfortunately wartime records are not as accurate as an incident involving law enforcement.

When i was in Nam,I had 2 step ons at 20 feet,way to close,the rangers I was with walked right by them after i shot them ,they filled my whole starlight scope,scared the hell out me.

Most shots at night 100 to 400
day time 100 to 700