• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

At What Distance Should I Use Ballistics Calculator

Airik Farley

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2024
US
I have the Hornady 4DOF app which I intend to use, but I haven't yet since I'm still working on my fundamentals at 100y. I'm assuming that things like RH, temp, etc probably doesn't have enough impact to matter at 100y. I'll be moving out to 600y someday so, my question is, at what distance/conditions do you start seeing value in using the ballistics calculators?

Last edited:
Depending on caliber, i use it for odd numbers mostly on small targets like 336 yards for a .223. Past 1000 yards i use it alot for the .338. Inside 1000 at 100 yard incriments i use gravity ballistics alot. Added bonus to true your calculator with those numbers.

Reactions: Balor
Ballistic calculators/apps are much more useful than just for providing angular corrections at distance. I use the app to show the specific load’s sensitivity, at any distance, to density altitude conditions, wind velocity and direction, etc etc. For any distance, the app shows me the bullet’s TOF, trajectory, max ord, and when the bullet is rising and falling.

Last edited:
Reactions: LastShot300
Don't use it as a crutch. KNOW your home range data and your grasp of drop and gravity's effect on your round will begin to expand, allowing you to spend more time in sight picture and less time staring at your kestrel.

And 4dof needs truing, make sure you nail that down before you begin to rely on faulty data.

Q: Do you have 300-yard data yet?

Taylor

Don't use it as a crutch. KNOW your home range data and your grasp of drop and gravity's effect on your round will begin to expand, allowing you to spend more time in sight picture and less time staring at your kestrel.

And 4dof needs truing, make sure you nail that down before you begin to rely on faulty data.

Q: Do you have 300-yard data yet?

Taylor
Nope, still working on basics at 100.

Reactions: Enough Said
It's okay to make your own range cards and just hold for wind.

As for all the environmentals, that depends. Aerodynamic jump could really be a factor on a windy day for anything past 100 yards. 3 o'clock full value could bring it up, 9 o'clock full value could bring it down.

I had read about the studys done at the Army at Aberdeen, Maryland. Coriolis Effect is not really a thing until you get past 1,000 yards, for example.